Yukon photon xt

exmarksman9870

As i have tried and tried and tried to get a straight answer from scott country with ref why they recommend fitting a set of adjustable mounts if purchasing the yukon photon xt i still have had no reply as why they have the link on there website,,,

Is there problems with the unit ? i would like to purchase one at kelso but im not going to bother if they cant give me a straight answer.....

The reason is that the unit does not zero like the conventional scope. Rather it has an electronic crosshair and you move that.
if your scope is not mounted spoton the rifle. Manufacturing tolerances etc. you can end up with the crosshair in a corner of the scope. So adjustable mounts overcome this problem allowing you to get the crosshair pretty central

No The unit appears good to me.
The new photon XT 4.6 has a certain amount of adjustment
and the reticule is always centrally located.
Mounted on fixed high 30mm mounts on a CZ .22 mine was spot on for windage
but still a little low for elevation at the maximum setting.
but I`m managing for the time being with the mil dot reticule.

adustable mounts give you more leeway

interesting to see what others have done

The reason is that the unit does not zero like the conventional scope. Rather it has an electronic crosshair and you move that.
if your scope is not mounted spoton the rifle. Manufacturing tolerances etc. you can end up with the crosshair in a corner of the scope. So adjustable mounts overcome this problem allowing you to get the crosshair pretty central

This is the correct info

The problem with the Photon XT is that the tube does not line up with the bore in most cases & they often need a lift at the back to get them to zero at shortish ranges (which the scope is best operated at). This is the only real downside of an otherwise excellent system.

You can adjust the crosshair but that is done on the screen & the whole reticule has to be moved off to the bottom left hand corner if you don't get a set of mounts that allow you to change the POI so that it lines up with the cross hairs when they are in the middle of the screen (i.e. without adjustment). I, like many, had to buy a pair of mounts with built in height & windage adjustments just to get the XT to zero properly; so had to spend another £60 on top of the NV unit. You can shim the back ring up with tape etc, as the vertical adjustment is the one that needs the most movement to get the unit zeroed; some people use gaffer tape etc..

Sportsmatch adjustable mounts with both elevation & windage is what most people seem to go for if you are putting it on a rime or airgun with airgun type rails.

Thanks Neumo
appears best solution is adjustable mounts.

If you have to use the full 30 clicks adjustment (each click is about a minute apparently)
left/right/up and down then the reticule will be off centre ( but not right in the corner.)
which can be off putting
my windage is spot on, just the elevation is out of the adjustment zone.

There are quite a few video reviews on u-tube and all are pretty positive.
Read the comments on this one re zeroing and sight picture.
Overall it still seems a good deal, bit quirky but it's new technology.

ps... I was quite impressed with the daytime performance of the 'scope in this one...

Last edited:
i have the original turret one and its pretty good day and night . need to play with it more , mine is on my .22lr semi and daytime grouping is not bad considering all you see is a black dot at 75 yards lol 10945109_10152607150219149_1205276687_n.jpg

I bought a set of atp61 sportsmatch mounts for mines as It was more the elevation that people were having problems with.

I tried medium mounts to start with but found that the bolt clipped the scope.

I then bought the atp61 (which are classed as high) to solve that problem.

When I went to zero the round hit 6 inches low and the reticle moved down no problem which made me realise that normal high mounts would have been just fine to start with.

This was on a cz .22 rimfire.

The cheapest place to buy the mounts is through Michael tawn airguns store.

I bought a set of atp61 sportsmatch mounts for mines as It was more the elevation that people were having problems with.

I tried medium mounts to start with but found that the bolt clipped the scope.

I then bought the atp61 (which are classed as high) to solve that problem.

When I went to zero the round hit 6 inches low and the reticle moved down no problem which made me realise that normal high mounts would have been just fine to start with.

This was on a cz .22 rimfire.

The cheapest place to buy the mounts is through Michael tawn airguns store.

So try a set of high mounts then if no luck go with the adjustable set up.... its going on a brno mod 2...

Well Im still using a set of high mounts
and can zero at 30 yards OK with .22 CZ
the reticle is only a little low in the screen
and no real bother. got to calibrate the mil dots at
different ranges yet.

So try a set of high mounts then if no luck go with the adjustable set up.... its going on a brno mod 2...

I originally set my Yukon Photon XT on my Baikal MP161K, and I found that the P.O.I was quite low. When I put it on my BRNO Mod2, it was virtually bang-on without making any adjustments.

The new XT reticle moving system delivers a wider field-of-view than the Mk1 Photon, which is an image moving system. If you have to overly adjust your crosshair, it may be the rifle, though I would check the rings first, because some of the cheapo Ebay/Aliexpress/DHGate sourced Chinese rings can be terrible.

IMO, the Photon XT is a lovely little scope, and doesn't look out of place on my BRNO.

Mines mounted with a 1 piece weaver mount, on top of my CZ452 HMR. I guess I'm lucky as my cross is bang on ( x -5 y -7 ) ... Not the case with the n550 tho !

It is a great unit ... Blown me away how good it is for £ 400 !!!

as most i needed to use sportsmatch adj mounts for my xt if you dont use them dont think you will ever line it up

Hi, we have actually replied to your email, please check your Spam box.

The best way of mounting the Photon is using the weaver SW-30 Rail system, however i have yet to find the need for adjustable bases, normally there is enough X Y axis moment, unless using on an airrifle when you may need an adjustable riser base.

As a gesture of goodwill however, on this occasion should you wish to go for the Photon SW-30 mounts, or indeed some weaver rings, we can supply you an adjustable rail free of charge.

Regards

Paul

Got my photon xt and must say its a lovely little unit...problem is i cant it zeroed paul was kind enough to give me an adjustable base but its the windage that is maxed out and still way off...was looking forward to using it last night with my boy but had to put the norm scope back on and use the t67...the scope worked excellent and spotted foxs etc at 200 m easy..with the upgraded ir...just a bit frustrating that you need to factor 60 plus for sportsmatch mounts...

Unfortunately my original photon DOES need adjustable mounts for both windage and elevation at an annoying cost of £70!
I've tried it on both my CZ.22 and CZ.17hmr - a lot of elevation required leaving me with approx 1/3rd of the lower screen black; windage is maxed out to the left with approx 1/5th of the r/h screen black!! Bloody annoying and off - putting despite my HMR producing a surprising and stunning 1/4" 4 shot group @ 113 yds at Garlands range once i'd got used to the extremely fussy and parallax inducing eye relief.
This is Last Chance Saloon for my Photon - if the mounts don't solve the zero adjustment problems then it'll be winging it's way back to the suppliers.
Hi, we have actually replied to your email, please check your Spam box.

The best way of mounting the Photon is using the weaver SW-30 Rail system, however i have yet to find the need for adjustable bases, normally there is enough X Y axis moment, unless using on an airrifle when you may need an adjustable riser base.

As a gesture of goodwill however, on this occasion should you wish to go for the Photon SW-30 mounts, or indeed some weaver rings, we can supply you an adjustable rail free of charge.

Regards

Paul

Back