Watched for 1 hour 5 mins!

john.d.m

After longest shot,how close threads I remember thing happened to me few yrs ago.
I was in Zim on freeby Buff hunt and had shot Buff and few baits for clients arriving in few days and generally had a ball.
After checking baits one day we found Hyenas had been hitting one bait and the P.H suggested we better have an early morning trying to sort a few out:),so we built a blind about 100m away, cleared all our tracks, worked out a way into the blind and we were set for the next morning.
We were up and out v v early next morn (coffee and roll ups for breaky).
We were slowly and quietly creeping towarss the blind from about a K away when we disturbed a troop of Babboons and they made hell of a racket, we thought weèd messed up so we just walked into the blind and sat waiting for daylight.
As it was getting light we could see something on the bait, as it got lighter we made out a Leopard, a real cracker:) Pete said if you want it, take it they had the paperwork for it(and Elephant if I wanted:eek:)
We think the Hyenas had kept him off the bait, so thats why he came when it was getting light.
Well, we sat and watched this old boy for 1 hour 5 mins!! was amazing, seeing him rip lumps off the Buff carcass I had shot day before, cleaning himself,we could hear him crunching on the bone,something bit him he didn`t like that, he cleaned himself like a domestic cat (and I hate them with a vengence)
Pete kept on, telling me I didn`t realize the oppurtunity I had (Oh I knew), and he thought it was one which had been taking stock in the area.
All this time I was doing sums in the sand, hmmmm, 2,250us$ to pull the trigger,working out what I had on me and I hate owing anyone anything and won`t do it usually etc etc,,,,decisions decisions, then Pete said, wont be a problem, you can pay when you get back to uk (which would be a mnth later as I was off to RSA after Zim)
I shot, I`m sure the Leopard took off, he must have went 8/10 ft in the air and was bouncing around I shot again and missed, then it went quiet,hmmmmm,now I began to think, we could have a situation here, I always said and always will I`d go on follow up on any wounded animal of mine, it`s just my thing, If I cocked up, I`d help sort it out,and Pete was happy with that, he`d seen me shoot Buff at 15/20'and was happy with my shooting and competance.
Anyway we approached the bait, slowly and carfully, and we saw him dead as a post.:D:D
I do wish I`d had a video camera with me and videoed that hour and 5 mins,if I hadn`t pulled the trigger I would still have had a great experience alot of people will never have in their life,but I did pull the trigger!
Leopard.jpg

Last edited:
What a stuningly beutiful animal!!. the one without the gun!.

Well done , what an experiance!.

Dry powder.

Barry

Keep dreaming and keep saving, if you realy want it youwill get there, i did three times,and got a Kudo,Gemsbok,Burchals Zebra, Springbok, Blesbok and some others but havnt got me a warthog yet, but i will, as will you.

Barry

Keep dreaming and keep saving, if you realy want it youwill get there, i did three times,and got a Kudo,Gemsbok,Burchals Zebra, Springbok, Blesbok and some others but havnt got me a warthog yet, but i will, as will you.

Barry
i got a warthog in cardiff

John
you actually got me remenising about SA ( excuse my spelling , i've had a drink)
as i was lay there waiting almost a hour for a Mountain reed buck to stand up, did not hav the heart to head shoot it
i had several Blesbok almost step on me as they made there way down the hill side
tried to get a picture but it turned out a blur
i can only say my trip out there was one in a million, will go back one day
just not sure if i will ever top it thou
ATB

I won`t get into cheap hunts etc as I wouldn`t want to tread on anyone toes.
But hunting Africa can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it.
When I started going I used agent (Diana) and got value for money, security(within reason) if anything went wrong and everything was organised by them.
After a while I started going on my own to people I had met out there and I enjoyed myself just as much,probably more as I was there as a mate and not as a client, and having worked in some strange places of the world so travelling and organising the travelling doesn`t phase me.
I could go to Africa and not fire a shot and enjoy myself, but I couldn`t go and not take a rifle:lol:
The biggest problem with Africa is it is very very addictive!!!!
Another problem I got nowadays is it`s a bit further away than it was, but hopefully I will be back there next yr or year after,but def be there for June 2013 with a bunch of mates for my 50th:lol:

Back