Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope opinions.

Scope opinions.

Following on from another thread, I just wondered what people's opinions are on say the big 3 european scopes, zeiss, swarovski, and schmidt, and which they thought the best in terms if optical clarity, light gathering. Or is it just a case of some scopes "behave" differently for different people.? I've mainly had schmidt bender in the past but looking for another scope and thought I'd have a thorough shop around.

For hunting rifles I use Swarovski z6i 2.5-15x44

For target rifles I use S&B pm2 DT 5-25x56

They are all excellent, you are splitting a bees dick.
    I use Zeiss of various configurations, my favorite is by far the Victory V8 1.8-14x50 with rail.
    But any money spent on a Zeiss, Schmidt, or Swarovski is well spent.

Hi I have a ziess, swarovski and last week I bought a kahles 624i looking through all set on the same mag I looked through them as it was getting dark to my eyes all were equal

To my eyes Zeiss is brighter and has superior resolution to Swarovski,but saying that I'm very happy with my z6. Never owned an S&B though. Can't really go wrong with any of their top models,it all depends on what you want from your scope and what type of shooting you're doing.

It is what works for you mate. I am heavily biased towards recommending zeiss, but this is only they work great for me. This is why I got their RF binoculars and rifle scope...

Any of the (very, very few) well conducted tests I've ever seen always put Zeiss top of the pile for glass and light gathering.

Tests I've done myself actually put Nickel first and Zeiss second but Nickel are big money and although easy to get you don't often get the chance to play with one, or admire their magazine adverts. Also my testing wasn't a scientific achievement and it was a few years back so Zeiss may have moved on, for example.

Quite a few of us tested Swaro against S&B at last light one evening and although both scopes "looked" different in actual fact none of us could detect any difference in their resolving ability as the light faded. The general perception was that the Swaro would be brighter as in good light the image "looked brighter" but I suspect they had just tweaked the colour balance or something to give this impression as it wasn't reflected in actual resolving ability. I suspect some manufacturers do this "tweaking" to make their scopes stand out against others in the gunshop.

So, my view in order of light gathering/optics is:

1 Nickel
    2 Zeiss
    =3 S&B and Swaro

As said well conducted tests put Zeiss top so I'm almost certainly mistaken on the top 2.

Another thing to bear in mind is that I shoot sika in dark commercial forestry at last light and find my 8X56 S&B totally adequate and suitable for the job - having "the best" doesn't give you any real advantage when shooting deer in legal shooting time in the UK, it just gives you bragging rights. If you want to shoot more deer then keep your S&B and spend the cash saved on more stalking, changing your scope will make sod all difference.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

I use Zeiss for stalking. For driven hunting, the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 has the best field of view and I prefer it to my Aimpoints any day of the week. I use S&B PM11s on my target rifles. I also use a Leica ER on my 22-250. The glass is crystal clear, it has incredible eye relief but the reticle is too thin for use in low light conditions.

Mind you,I think the top of the range Meopta scopes are not far behind Zeiss and Swaro and probably equal or better than S&B and at a fraction of the price. If I was on a budget,that's where I would be looking.

s/b and meopta i have are perfect,doug,