Rob Mac is the best

Blaser3006

God love you Rob.

About time these creatures that devour so much of my time and so much of my wifes patience got their own special little place in stalking heaven.

2007_1211boardamage0011.jpg

I hope you sterilise that knife before finishing off butchering that pig. :eek:

That's no pig, you will refer to them by their proper name of Wild Boar on these pages or not at all. :evil:

Reference the knife; what sort of dumbass question is that? :eek:

cull

It is ajolly good job you shot that boar. it seems to have a stick stuck in its mouth.

I occassionally show friends some of the beasts in the Trophy Room, taken by Gerry and other stalkers , and they can't believe that we have such big boar running around the British countryside.

Even with the amount of recent press coverage, people just don't seem to think that they exist in the 'real world'.

Rob

Sorry to burst you balloon and all that but.............................Its a pig !:p

Virtually 99% of the feral boar, there's nothing wild about them, running around the various parts of the UK have domestic pig DNA in their make up.

If your one of the few to have actually shot a pure bred boar then well done but its still a feral one. ;)

Its a big bugger mind either way. Whats the wastage factor between dead weight and butchered weight?

5ways said:
Sorry to burst you balloon and all that but.............................Its a pig !:p

Virtually 99% of the feral boar, there's nothing wild about them, running around the various parts of the UK have domestic pig DNA in their make up.

If your one of the few to have actually shot a pure bred boar then well done but its still a feral one. ;)

Its a big bugger mind either way. Whats the wastage factor between dead weight and butchered weight?
mines a british wild one
and it is pure bred
P1010244.jpg

shame i did not take more pics of him
i see from your extensive knowledge you hav shot a few , any pics for us to look at
ATB
stone
ps nice boar blaser

Nice animal blaser. Only seen them in France must be fantastic to see them close to home.

In an attempt to help rather than hinder (as things appear to be going wrong here), there is a section on the pureness of british boar on the British Wild Boar web site.

http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/

It seems to indicate question marks over the purity issue. I would just like to ask one question. Who gives a toss. They look good, eat good and probably provide fabulous sport. Does it really matter if they have some tamworth in them. I do have a breeding pair which look to all intents and purposes pure, but on occasion they throw a gloucester old spot or two.

I might add, that as someone who has spent a few euro's travelling to France in pursuit of boar and being unsuccessful I am very envious of both stone and blaser for bagging a couple of great looking animals.

Grant

Yes Grant I agree, what does it matter. Pure breeds seem to be a requirement of man not nature and goes against the very laws of nature. Personally I don't care what the bloodline of the pig/boar is, its just nice to see them in our countryside again.

Ditto.

It is always nice to know a bit about the animal and where it came from, Paul K has kindly given us some great info on red stags which is always very interesting, but at the end of the day it does not take anything away from the experience of stalking the beast.

Blaser, that is some beast-does he qualify for a medal?

JH.

Grant

Thanks for the great link. I shall study it fully at a later date.

Re; your " wild boar". Its astonishing what you find out when you actually have some. bet those Old spots made good porkers.

HI Jerry
Nice Boar when did you get him??, is there much activity??
were out tomorrow night weather permitting :rolleyes:

Wayne

Pruning

Hi

Some of the posts in this thread have been removed due to their unnecessarily aggresive tone. As all regular visitors appreciate, this is a friendly site, giving all of us the chance to share opinions and news in a courteous manner - please can we all remember that.

Cheers,

Rob

Editor

5ways said:

Those where Blaser shoots are from pure East European stock, those in the southern part of the Forest of Dean were from a seperate release and apparently have some pig in them. They are soon likely to meet up and the pure East Europeans will become contaminated but as someone else says - who cares about a bit of DNA here and there. According to some sources there is more difference between the DNA of some strains of pure wild boar than between some boar and ancient breeds domestic pig.

They are technically feral as are , fallow deer, sika deer, muntjac, chinese water deer and some red deer but again who cares?

Many thanks for your support Paul.

I do feel quite strongly incase you hadn't noticed that they should be addressed as Wild boar and not pigs. Feral they may be but they are not a bunch of tamworths or saddle backs running around which of course would be classed as pig.

Good old sus scrofa

Grantoliver said:
I might add, that as someone who has spent a few euro's travelling to France in pursuit of boar and being unsuccessful I am very envious of both stone and blaser for bagging a couple of great looking animals.

Grant
hi grant
i am sure your turn will come as it will for many others as wild boar will spread further and further across our countryside , not sure you should of said you are envious as that could start blaser,wayne,appollo and a few others, off on a picture frenzy and make us all jealous,
go on lads make us all jealous :lol:
stone
ps my boar was 137lbs as he is pictured and tastes , well, the bees knees , don't buy pork now from the locall butcher, sorry locall butcher

PaulK as you so rightly say there are 5ways to look at this Fallow, Sika, Muntjac, CWD and possibly some Reds are feral. But Wild Boar are Wild Boar, and who gives a stuff about a few with other strains of pig in them, its not enough to worry about, and I am sure dosnt make any difference to the taste :D

So I am looking forward someway to get up and shoot one with a gentleman off this site who has offered me a shot. Promise I wont put my knife in the floor :oops:

Well done Blaser3006 hope you get a few more like the one in the piccy ;)

From little of what I know about the porcine animals roaming the woods in the Herefordshire area, they are 100% from the Wild Boar Family, of which there are approx 27 different sub species.
These ones came from a farm who couldn`t make it pay, so the farmer rounded up the ones he could then took all his fencing down,not worrying about the ones he couldn`t catch.
This happened in 1996/7 (approx the same time I started to take an interest in them :D )
I have seen stripeys running around in January,(remember the one that ran within 2ft of your feet Wayne and got you hooked?)
Fantastic photo Wayne. Not many people have seen that of genuine wild boar.
Shame your photography skills are on par with your shooting skills :lol: :lol:

Back