Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A forgotten rifle.

A forgotten rifle.

I was rummaging through my gun stuff last week and came across a walnut stocked Ruger 77/22 I'd forgotten I had. I have been rebuilding and shooting a lot of Brno#2s over the last couple of years and I really appreciate the quality of the Brno rifles, but I was reminded of how well the Ruger 77/22's were made when I found this one. Ruger's new rifle, the American, is nowhere near as well built as the old 77/22's.(Tho the two Americans I have shot were very accurate despite looking like a Marlin/Savage hybrid) I took this old Ruger out and shot it with iron sights last week and it was very accurate as well.

I guess where I'm going with this is if you are looking for a pretty solid rifle, don't overlook the older 77/22's.~Muir

Yes, I guess most .22 shooters want to spend very little and just want it to shoot well enough for them, which is mostly plinking.

So quality rifles compete in a small market. The Anschutz rifles are superb, but at the top of price, too. I am surprised that a quality rifle, cost not much more than a utility Marlin or Savage cannot find enough buyers. I think Ruger, Browning and Winchester accountants have made a mistake not keeping quality .22s in their catalog, as part of the total image of quality you would think they would want to project to their customers. Having a rimfire, a Hornet, and a .222/.223 in the lineup, which match the look of the big centerfires, seems important to me. I know several Ruger 77 owners who have lamented not buying a 77/22 before they were discontinued.

I have a Browning A-Bolt .22 Gold Medallion, which sat on a dealer rack for 2 years, handled by many until I talked them down to $425 and took it home. It shoots like a laser, and is so beautiful, such a pleasure to take hunting. I wish I had another in .22 WMR, .22 Hornet and .223 Rem.

My brother owns three Ruger 77/22 ,.22LR, 22Magnum & 22 Hornet they all handle & shoot very well .. I did try the New Amercan model I did liked the tigger but just doesn't have that feel like the 77/22 ..

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I have a Browning A-Bolt .22 Gold Medallion
    I have the same rifle in 22-250. And a Hunter in .270. Beautifully-balanced, aren't they?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I wouldn't swap my 77/22 lr for any other rimfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I have the same rifle in 22-250. And a Hunter in .270. Beautifully-balanced, aren't they?
    And they shoot !! You can spend 5X the money and not get a more beautiful, better handling, and more accurate rifle. I have several friends with the nicer A-Bolt IIs in .270 Win, and they just stopped shopping for other rifles.

I bought my son a BL-22 Gold Medallion when he was about 12. It is really a nice size for a boy or woman, and like a feather to a man. Now in his 20s, he would never sell it.

Muir. You mentioned "the two Americans I have shot"

Go steady.

Muir, thats an advantage of our system over yours, you can't really forget a rifle .
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Muir, thats an advantage of our system over yours, you can't really forget a rifle .
    Was just thinking the same,.... worlds apart aren't we.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You might be right. I was flipping the mattress in the guest room and found a 45 automatic underneath. ~Muir