Howa accuracy .243 v tikka t3

dan71

Got out today to zero my howa with a mate who has a t3 that cost more than twice the price. Set both an inch high @100yds. Is the tikka better? Well both were spot on.
If i had more money would i buy a tikka? Maybe but it just shows the howa is very good value for money!

Last edited:
This is my second 1 the first was a .223 and it was spot on. Now this is every bit as good as a tikka im well happy!

Howa's are very impressive for the money of that there is no doubt. I compared my T3 to a friend's Howa but much preferred the trigger on my Tikka T3. The trigger on a T3 is very simple to adjust and gives a very nice crisp let off, down to about 2lb. Try as we might we could not adjust the trigger on the Howa to match the T3, no doubt a decent gunsmith could rectify this though.

The trigger unit on my Tikka T3 is a match for my Sako 85, I believe it is a similar, if not identical unit.

Last edited:
I bought a Howa for my first centrefire on the premise I could get another in a bigger calibre when I needed it, both for the price of a Sako. I haven't regretted it yet, if I do my bit its more than capable - it can outshoot me.

I have a howa, would have another tomorrow if they made them a pound or so lighter.
7 lbs for rifle , scope and mod would be max to tempt me now

I have a howa, would have another tomorrow if they made them a pound or so lighter.
7 lbs for rifle , scope and mod would be max to tempt me now

I agree for 100%; Have a look at PSE composites stock ( Ejg on here ) Will bring weight down in a major way.

I have had a few people out shooting howa and all have been very accurate , I am afraid most peoples choice is more about snobbery and sales pitch, than quality of product, my old bsa do,s it's bit without any problems never had a deer complain yet.

I was looking at a Howa for my next rifle. I won't be getting one as they don't make a true lefthand action which is a same. Otherwise it would be my first choice given my budget. Second hand T3 instead, not such a bad thing :)

Does anybody have the weight of a barrel and action for a 1500 sporter? dont want to disturb mine as its shooting so well

Howa's are very impressive for the money of that there is no doubt. I compared my T3 to a friend's Howa but much preferred the trigger on my Tikka T3. The trigger on a T3 is very simple to adjust and gives a very nice crisp let off, down to about 2lb. Try as we might we could not adjust the trigger on the Howa to match the T3, no doubt a decent gunsmith could rectify this though.

The trigger unit on my Tikka T3 is a match for my Sako 85, I believe it is a similar, if not identical unit.

There are aftermarket triggers available too. The Timney (in various pull weights), £94.16 black and £102.00 nickel plated; Rifle Basix 1.5-4lb pull £99.80 or 12 oz to 1.5lb £104.96, both makes of kits distributed (sold direct too) by Hannams Reloading.

Howa 1500s are very well made indeed. It's an old Sako L-series action design upgraded a bit, so you get a top notch action and the barrels are really good by factory gun standards. They're sold to Legacy Sports International in the US as barrelled actions and LSI sources a range of stocks separately to provide its large constantly upgraded range. LSI then exports the rifles to Europe which is how we get ours.

(Howa also makes the Weatherby Vanguard and Mossberg M800, no different from the Howa 1500 apart from markings and they're sold to those US companies on the same basis for stocking up there.)

I was looking at a Howa for my next rifle. I won't be getting one as they don't make a true lefthand action which is a same. Otherwise it would be my first choice given my budget. Second hand T3 instead, not such a bad thing :)

I was just about to post more or less the same thing. It's so frustrating, as I'm sure the Howa factory has made LH bolt rifles (pretty sure they made some Wetherby Mk5s in LH bolt, and possibly some SAKOs as well?).

Ho hum, unless/until they do, I won't buy one....

T3's are good rifles and if they were priced in the UK like they are in the US they would be a very good buy, but they are not. Howas were quite a bit cheaper but looking at prices now they are c£100 to £150 less than the equivalent T3

T3s are magazine fed, and you cannot top the mag up from the open bolt - mag has to come put. Howa is more traditional with a top loading magazine. Howas are solid steel, T3 have quite a bit of polycarbonates in them. Howas cab be bought as a barreled action to which you can add whatever stock style you like - see ivythorn - T3s have a choice of several factory stock styles.

End result - probably a matter of personal taste - both will shoot well and better than most drivers.

I have a T3 ( 7mm-08, replacing a .30-06) and they are great rifles, but I have had a walnut stocked Howa 1500 in .223 for 20 years and it shoots great. As stated by other owners, it is 1.25 lbs heavier than the T3 Lite, but I like that, because the barrel is stout and the full size gun feel is a perfect match to a deer cartridge. Having a Howa in .223 and something like a .308 or .270 would be something to recommend to anyone just starting to build a hunting battery.

IMG_1060.jpg

Howa .223 100m black hills 60g Vmax factory ammunition.
IMG_1050.jpg
Howa .223 100m PPU 55g soft points.

The rifle has had no work done, no bedding, no trigger work just had a couple of hundred rounds through it.

I'm happy with the rifle and doubt I'd be able to shoot any better with any other rifle, as said elsewhere with a moderator, bipod and scope it is a bit on the heavy side to carry all day. If I was being picky the safety catch does feel a little cheap but it works as it should.

Got out today to zero my howa with a mate who has a t3 that cost more than twice the price. Set both an inch high @100yds. Is the tikka better? Well both were spot on.
If i had more money would i buy a tikka? Maybe but it just shows the howa is very good value for money!

Yeah go for the Howa, and use the money you save to buy superior optics.
The Howa is as accurate as any far more expensive rifle.
You can save even more if you buy your rifle and optics from a Eurozone online retailer and import the rifle yourself, without using a RFD/UK Retailer. The license/paperwork is free from the Dept. for BIS, and they actually give an excellent and fast service.
But maybe just tickle your UK rertailer and let them know how much cheaper you can buy kit abroad, and give them the opportunity to price-match first, or meet you halfway.

I got a howa in 243 new for 400 quid it shoots good i got some very nice groups when i was load testing i got all 5 shots on top of each other using 75 grn vmax at 100 meters which i was happy with , that was all standard with no mods but now i got a vortex viper pst on it instead of a nikkon and i brought a laminate thumb hole stock for 20 quid so I'll be giving that ago on the weekend

Over all the howa is a great rifle for the money and its very accurate and for customising the parts are easy to get and there are some very good gun smiths that will tune it, if i was getting another howa i would like the contractor that brock and norris do but otherwise they are great i would recommend them any day in getting a howa

Back