.22exp on licence. Can I buy a .22 WMR?

Chasey

As above

It states .22exp on my licence and I am interested in getting a WMR. Do I need a variation?

ATB

Chasey

.22exp would just be your ammunition wouldn't it?

Yes it just says .22 under the rifel and 22exp under amo so wondering if I can buy WMR or does that need a specific cert?

I supose the same applies for 22 Hornet? 22/250?

I dont know why but I was expecting it to just say .22LR

ATB

Chasey

Very odd, but then all fld's seem to work differently.
when I was granted a .22lr it said .22lr on my ticket!
what did yu apply for?

No it just says Calibre Metric or imperial .22 Rifle Quantaty 1

I am strugling to see whats stopping me getting any 22 calibre rifel?

I thaught the catch would be in the amo but .22 magnum or WMR is also available in expanding amo so exp should cover it?

mine states .22 lr and .22exp would think you need it to say .22 wmr or .22 wmr exp due to size of cart being a diff chamber size

yes exp
22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG

Last edited:
cambs didn't used to make a distinction years ago but they do now , best ask your FLD

Surely if you already have the .22LR rifle then you would have to put in for a variation to change it for another rifle even if the same calibre, so you are going to have to contact them one way or another

Surely if you already have the .22LR rifle then you would have to put in for a variation to change it for another rifle even if the same calibre, so you are going to have to contact them one way or another

Was going to sell the 22/10 and get a Sako Quad 22 WMR

Mine just said .22 rifle (I'd requested a .22 Rimfire) so every place I asked said up to a WMR was fine. I was tempted to try my luck with a .22cf but didn't need one and didn't want the hassle I would no doubt get!

yes but you still need to notify even if its the same ,plus all details,

I am new to firearms so bear with me but i am asuming I sell my 22/10 and that leaves me an open slot for another 22

I then buy a 22WMR and send in my notification of purchase after the event rather than requesting a variation before purchase.

As far as I can see I am covered, but i was just seeing what you lot think.

ATB

No, doesn't work like that (if only it was that simple).
1- sell your .22
2- inform fld of the sale and at the same time apply to have the slot kept open, using the relevant form
3- when your fac comes back with the slot re-opened you can then buy a another .22

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong i see were your coming from but beleive me i think someone will see a difference and pull you up on it.unless your under my lot then god knows! Atb doug

My cert says 2x .22 nothing about LR or WMR or any thing, but the way the police look at it, so an ex FEO told me is that if you put 22 lr on your application and cert arrives saying just.22, then you purchase a WMR, you knowingly purchased a rifle that you did not have authority to buy and they will then look to revoke your licence as you intentienatly tried to swivel the system. I don't know if it's true but it makes sense to me. Also no rfd in their right mind would sell you a 22-250 if your cert said .22.

I am pretty sure that when you sell your 22/10 you will need to notify your Firearms Department and send your certificate in for ammending (Taking the .22 off that you are selling) along with the details of who you sold it to. In order to get a different firearm you will also need to send in a variation form to either keep the slot for a .22 open or to ask for a 1 for 1 variation for another rifle/firearm. One the 1 for 1 variation form it might be best to specify a .22WMR (As oposed to just asking for a .22 rifle) on the variation/request form and also request the amount of .22WMR expanding ammunition you require to be added to your certificate (And don't forget to ask for a sound moderator to be added if you plan on getting/using one with the .22WMR)
Different Firearms Department sometimes work in slightly different ways but I beleive that this is the standard procedure for most of them, however a call to your FEO will clarify the situation and save any potential/possible problems at a later date.

Just had a variation 1 for 1 and got a 22 hornet , on ticket under firearm it says .22 under amunition it says .22H
for my 22/10 it just sat .22 under amunition so yes you need a variation
Ask your local firearms officer he will know for sure
Cheers
Ray

No, doesn't work like that (if only it was that simple).
1- sell your .22
2- inform fld of the sale and at the same time apply to have the slot kept open, using the relevant form
3- when your fac comes back with the slot re-opened you can then buy a another .22

Un frigging believable :(

How to make a lot of paperwork / man hoursover nothing

I know I am pushing it on the WMR thing but forthe love of god why can’t I just sell my gun to a person with a licence and buyanother one on my licence.

A 22 is a 22 is a 22 isn’t it.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but FFSwhat a joke

Back