Grass always seems greener

Craggy

With all these forum sites, I read of people shooting loads of deer/ foxes 10 days a week and I think of my few acres with a bit of hedgerow open fields and a small wood.

I took afriend out with the air riffles the weekend because I know he's only got a horse field and he rarely shoots anything.

We had a fantastic 3 hours with 5 squirrels and 2 woodies.

it made me realise I am one of the lucky ones ( compared to some ) Ive also shot foxes and 2 roe on there
happy days

Craggy

Craggy,
I had been watching this site for a good few years before joining and realized that I had a lot of permissions, some good and some not so good and have a lot of experience of air rifles, then shotguns, rimfires and Cf rifles but I have also noticed that there are a lot of members on here that have no specific land to shoot over and I am very grateful to have what I have and a few of the farmers as good friends as well, Enjoy everything you have as everything can change in the blink of an eye.
HERE FOR A GOOD TIME NOT A LONG TIME.

permissions are hard to get but easy to use. I had some rough shooting on 250 acres, which I have just lost after 8 years. The farmer never wanted any payment as he said that I was doing him a favour. He would get a bottle and any rabbitts etc. The trouble was it was a family run farm, and the local farmers set up a syndicate and I was out. I enjoyed it while it lasted. I am lucky enough to have access to 10 acres, which has the odd deer go through, so I still manage to go out with the gun

im a landless man now.had a great perm till foot n mouth ,poor farmer watched his cattle culled.then my next perm went for a jubilee woods so to see peeps with lots of land is frustrating but il keep plugging away till i get some.paid stalks are my way at the minute but il get a yes 1 day.however small a perm is its still a good place to be

I count myself as quite fortunate in the fact that I have a reasonable amount of permissions to shoot over, all of which are within a half hours drive from my home. All of the land owners/farmers are more like personal friends to me which makes it even more of a pleasure to get out and see them whenever I can. There isn't much on most of my permissions, just the usual rabbits, corvids, a few pigeons, some foxes (Which I cull as often as possible at the farmers request) and on just a few of the permissions some roe deer.
Because I count myself more fortunate than some others, (especially newcomers to shooting) I am always willing (And welcome to by the farmers) to take others out with me, especially those who have asked me to mentor them.
I really do feel for those (Especially newcomers) who struggle to get shooting permissions. It's all to easy for those of us who are fortunate enough to already have permissions to say to newcomers "Get out there and do plenty of door knocking" but sometimes newcommers can feel that they are beating their heads against a brick wall and fighting a losing battle when they keep getting knocked back!
Most of mine have come through recomendations from the farmers who land I was already shooting on so I guess that I am lucky in the fact that I haven't had to do too much leg work or door knocking!.

I to can count myself very lucky have a few permissions probably getting on for a 1000 acres some poor on the game part of it some good and one or two with small amounts of Roe and Fallow but all with foxes and all within an hours drive from home all friends so a hamper and a few bottles at Xmas even though a couple of them shoot themselves it is never a problem to ring up and go

ATB Paul D

I count myself as quite fortunate in the fact that I have a reasonable amount of permissions to shoot over, all of which are within a half hours drive from my home. All of the land owners/farmers are more like personal friends to me which makes it even more of a pleasure to get out and see them whenever I can. There isn't much on most of my permissions, just the usual rabbits, corvids, a few pigeons, some foxes (Which I cull as often as possible at the farmers request) and on just a few of the permissions some roe deer.
Because I count myself more fortunate than some others, (especially newcomers to shooting) I am always willing (And welcome to by the farmers) to take others out with me, especially those who have asked me to mentor them.
I really do feel for those (Especially newcomers) who struggle to get shooting permissions. It's all to easy for those of us who are fortunate enough to already have permissions to say to newcomers "Get out there and do plenty of door knocking" but sometimes newcommers can feel that they are beating their heads against a brick wall and fighting a losing battle when they keep getting knocked back!
Most of mine have come through recomendations from the farmers who land I was already shooting on so I guess that I am lucky in the fact that I haven't had to do too much leg work or door knocking!.

Do you shoot the Roe?

On the one area which covers two adjoining permissions the roe are not shot. While I have permission to shoot them it is on the understanding that none will be shot unless unavoidable for welfare purposes.
On 2 different (Again adjoining) permissions some 4 or 5 miles away I am allowed to shoot roe if I wish to.

Back