Sako Finnbear in .270 - thoughts

Mungo

So it looks like I am about to become the proud owner of an aged but functional Sako Finnbear in .270.

I'd be very grateful for any experience people have with them: are there any gremlins to watch out for or common little niggles?

My plan is to get a smith to give it a once over and then probably get it bedded. Good idea?

Looking forward to using it - always wanted one of these.

Don't look back I love mine in 300 win very nice action indeed, as others have said just get out and shoot it, post pics when you get it , atb wayne

.......you're getting your hands on an aged but functional Finnbear270?? Steve? Anything that you want to tell us??? :-|:D

It may or may not need bedding, but iit would be a good idea to remove the action from the stock and check for fit, any hammering of the wood, and cracks. They have a steel crossbolt and bedding block and pillars from the factory.

They are great rifles, beautiful lines and balance, and stocks which work with iron sights and scopes. I have one in .375 H&H.

I had one of these in .270 win, loved it. I later had it re barrelled into .243 win and used it hard for several more years. Wish I'd never got rid of it. Mine was in a McMillan fibergrain stock.

My L61R in 270 is pretty sweet and just joined me on its first trip to the borders complete with Williams open sights apel swing offs .it was part of a batch holland and holland restocked and reblued shot and regulated as you can tell I LOVE it .
norma
Ps it isn't bedded actually it touches wood along the barrel at all points but shoots better than I can .my gunsmith said this is as h/ holland intended it to be .

Last edited:
Got one just the same owned it bought it new from H&H nearly 30 years great gun one of the cheapest guns I have ever bought.
Use and enjoy

Dodge

What number dodge mines 418 on the trigger guard what did they cost back then ? Any other info ? Got mine last yr it had only shot a box of bullets from new .
cheers Norma

My L61R in 270 is pretty sweet and just joined me on its first trip to the borders complete with Williams open sights apel swing offs .it was part of a batch holland and holland restocked and reblued shot and regulated as you can tell I LOVE it .
norma
Ps it isn't bedded actually it touches wood along the barrel at all points but shoots better than I can .my gunsmith said this is as h/ holland intended it to be .

If Holland & Holland set it up, I would not touch it unless it started shooting way bad in the future.

I have a No. 4 MkII Enflield bedded by H&H in 1950 as a sniper rifle, and it stacks the bullets up on top of each other with just the rear aperture sight. They know all about pressure points on the barrel.

If Holland & Holland set it up, I would not touch it unless it started shooting way bad in the future.

I have a No. 4 MkII Enflield bedded by H&H in 1950 as a sniper rifle, and it stacks the bullets up on top of each other with just the rear aperture sight. They know all about pressure points on the barrel.
My gunsmith who builds rifles and shotguns said exactly this his southern I shall leave well alone
cheers Norma

So it looks like I am about to become the proud owner of an aged but functional Sako Finnbear in .270.

I'd be very grateful for any experience people have with them: are there any gremlins to watch out for or common little niggles?

My plan is to get a smith to give it a once over and then probably get it bedded. Good idea?

Looking forward to using it - always wanted one of these.

is it the AV from the borders gunroom?

Essex Sussex / Yes mate I didn't really want a 270 but fell for the rifle and shuffled the gun cabinet to allow the calibre and the rifle without cutting or altering it
got to admit the 270 in a well built rifle is not a banger on the shoulder and on the open hill was very tame as far as noise was concerned too
cheers Norma

Norma

My one is 422 cost £350 from H&H with cleaning kit and some rounds
Used it extensively always accurate until three/four years ago then needed re crown and I must admit then had it threaded got Mike At Brock and Norris to do the work great job given the rifle a new life.
shame to thread but has transformed the gun from something that sucked the grommets out of the Land Rover to a very useable gun
i think it was made in 1977 I spoke to a guy in Sako factory several years ago and they still talk about making guns for H&H and what great guns they were/are

Dodge

Essex Sussex / Yes mate I didn't really want a 270 but fell for the rifle and shuffled the gun cabinet to allow the calibre and the rifle without cutting or altering it
got to admit the 270 in a well built rifle is not a banger on the shoulder and on the open hill was very tame as far as noise was concerned too
cheers Norma
I know the feeling - when I find a h and h husqvarna I shall be having my own cabinet reshuffle...

I brought one for my first rifle and would never sell it. Had it threaded by Simon Lawrence and put one of his slimline mods on. Kept its lines and tamed the beast. Fed on a diet of 130 gn federals it shoots like a dream. Sadly the stock is a bit battered but what can you expect on a gun that is some 40 years old.

Back