Multi Car Insurance

Nobleman

Does anyone know what Multi Car Insurance Policy's are like rather than single individual policy's for different cars ? With soon to be Three cars on the go at once i was thinking of trying to put them all under (if poss) one policy just to make things easier at renewal time and also hopefully save a few £'s, Anybody have any experience of these and if so how does the No claim bonus malarky work out? I have currently two lots of no claim bonus running on different cars and im presuming that i will lose one of them if i go multi car? Got a feeling it wont work out any cheaper and wont be worth the hassle in the long run.

They were all the rage a year or three since, but don't see them advertised now. Probably because they were a good deal for the punter. Can't be having that!

We have two cars on the and saves us £200 a year! I still had two months remaining as my wifes was the one due, so they did it pro-rata for me on a 10 month policy to start 2 months from when my wifes had started to align the two. Renewal coming up so we'll see what year two is like.

We have 4 cars on a multi car policy with Admiral. The wife and I (Defender and Audi TT), son with a 1 series BMW and daughter with a Mini Cooper. Kids are 24 and 21. I pay £2200 a year for all 4. We are all named drivers and earning NCB on out own vehicles. With single car policies in the past I as paying more than that just for the kids cars.

However, not tried to claim yet, and that's the real test!

We have 4 cars on a multi car policy with Admiral. The wife and I (Defender and Audi TT), son with a 1 series BMW and daughter with a Mini Cooper. Kids are 24 and 21. I pay £2200 a year for all 4. We are all named drivers and earning NCB on out own vehicles. With single car policies in the past I as paying more than that just for the kids cars.

However, not tried to claim yet, and that's the real test!

i have my 3 daughters cars on the Admiral multi car policy. Have claimed twice and it was remarkably seamless and straightforward for a low cost policy. No claims bonus for non claiming driver remained intact.

From my my experience, I would recommend it.

Hi
I have used Aviva and Admiral over the last few years for 2x cars and <25yr old named drivers (limited mileage <10k & <4k). Not needed to claim so cannot comment on ease/efficiency.
At renewal a new policy (for the same cars, on-line) was cheaper than the renewal quote - couldnt match it when asked!
You will need the evidence of any no-claims from existing insurance for the new company - they didnt send me it automatically and had to ask - can cause delay.
Worth drilling around on Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert? as has useful advice.
L

Last edited:
Hi I have 2 cars with Aviva (L200&Alfa)and the policy is saving me £185 a year, however I did try Admiral andthey refused to insure the L200 on the basis that it was classed as a work vehicle on their computer.

Thanks for all the replys its made my mind up to give it a go so i'll phone a few places up tomorrow and see whats what, i hate dealing with insurance companies and all the waffle they come out with had some of it today with a broker i'll try a couple of the bigger companies and see how i get on.

Had multi car with Admiral for past two years and it has always beaten quotes for seperate insurance from seperate companies.
Not had to make a claim as yet but from experience, the larger companies are easier to deal with than the new wave Internet providers.
Just had quote for my 53 plate Terrano and good ladies 2010 Yaris at just over £300 for fully comp and business use.
Internet trawling and still can't find a better deal.

Deerless

The thing to watch is whether they let both drivers earn separate "no claims" discounts. Some don't which can be a real pain in the long run

I am with Admiral for three cars. EVERY year they put the premium up and EVERY year after a couple of phone calls they bring it down to less than it was the year before. An example: This year they wanted £1200 fully comp three cars. Two high value and fairly new, one not so new or of much value. I called and said I could get the same cover for £800 elsewhere, and they brought it down to £780. It goes to show the kind of margins they have...

It also pays to have them give you ' non cashbonuses' such as higher yearly mileage, or adding business use to one or more of your cars etch. Do this AFTER they reduce your premium as a final incentive for them to keep you. Do not be afraid to say you will cancel and do cancel. they WILL call you back in a day or two with an offer. They do with me every year (hence the 'couple of phone calls)...

The thing to watch is whether they let both drivers earn separate "no claims" discounts. Some don't which can be a real pain in the long run

In our case with Admiral we have one driver as a main one in two cars and the other as a main driver to the other. That way we both get our own individual NCB. Each of us is an additional driver in the car they are not the main driver.

I've been playing with quotes from Admiral, they're very competitive.
Based on the wife (no NCB as she's been a company car driver) and I (NCB only on a bike) they're quoting as much for two cars with two drivers as a lot of the individual policies wanted for just one car and one driver. Definite Saving of at least £200 for us

I have my two cars with NFU Mutual and pay about £700 for my wife and I to drive both my Range Rover and Ford Mondeo (both 2002) they are probably not the cheapest but are top of the Which? ratings. What is really good is that over the past few years I have occasionally put my kids on for a month or two and although the premium goes up they never charge an admin fee for putting on or taking off and now offer a deal where I can add my 25 year old son to either vehicle for a one off £15 for a week or £20 for three weeks.

We have 4 family members on an Admiral multi car policy which saved a good bit on individual policies but wait till you make a claim.The admin seems terrible to say the least,the payment is woefully slow,high excess,and after collecting 16 years no claim bonus you are told that they only recognise 5 years maximum.So good value unless you make a claim.

Back