260 Rem 129sst and RL17

caerhays sniper

Hi chaps just wondering if anyone out there is running this combination? i can find data for 130gr heads and RL17 not the 129sst. Hopefully someone here can help me out cheers.

There is a very wide range and i like to be precise.

Precise? Really? Have you weighed those SST's to make sure they are 129 grains? A random sampling of 15 of my 140 grain 6.5 SSTs gave weights from 138.4 to 139.8 grains with the majority weighing in at 139 grains. You might want to weigh them before you start talking precision. SST's really aren't a top end precision bullet. (I shoot a lot of them)

But more to the point. If you'd spent a little time reading on reloading practice, instead of just learning how to cobble together ammunition, you would know that it is the accepted practice to use a charge weight of powder from the next higher bullet weight -especially when they are as close as the 1 grain weight difference you are speaking of. Or maybe you just missed that part in your reading? Experience would also remind you that effect of pressure generated by the difference in bullet weight of 1 grain could, and most likely will, be negated by combinations of several other variables in your loads. ~Muir

Last edited:
:doh: 1gr difference,read what muir wrote as he invented reloading and is sd guru, ive only ever weighed a couple of bullets just out of interest, if I had some good digital scales I might batch them :-|

:doh: 1gr difference,read what muir wrote as he invented reloading and is sd guru, ive only ever weighed a couple of bullets just out of interest, if I had some good digital scales I might batch them :-|

Just a hillbilly with too many guns and internet access.;)
And I didn't mean to sound so harsh but it was late, and I was tired, and tired always sounds bad when run through the American filter.

Forget the digital scales. Find an Ohaus Dial-o-Grain and watch speed and precision in action. Worth what you pay.~Muir

Muir im a cautious reloader certainly way of being an expert. Currently running the 120amax and RL17 and was only seeing what I may have to drop back by although the hornady manual says use the same for a 120 as the 129sst

I have got on really will with Vhit 150 in my .260rem with the same bullets and the 120g Sierra pro hunters.

That was me when I was younger.
This is me when I was a little kid. ~Muir
jockey1_zps53f8291f.jpg%7E320x480

Hi Muir.
Since you were described as The Hillbilly with too many Guns and Internet access I have always had the Jed Clampett image in my Head :D.

Yorkie.

Hi Muir.
Since you were described as The Hillbilly with too many Guns and Internet access I have always had the Jed Clampett image in my Head :D.

Yorkie.

You're not far off.
I've got his knack for stylish dress and my rifles are only just a little older than his.
I just lack the oil well.:D~Muir

Muir im a cautious reloader certainly way of being an expert. Currently running the 120amax and RL17 and was only seeing what I may have to drop back by although the hornady manual says use the same for a 120 as the 129sst

Caution is good. Carried to an extreme, or letting it overshadow good common sense, can turn it into a real stumbling block. It is a common ailment of the new reloader to believe that everything is in absolutes: A 129 grain bullet weighs 129 grains, velocity listed is what you can expect, any load under maximum is safe... All not necessarily true. As you have noted, the heavier charge listed for the 129 is the same charge as the 120. In this instance it makes sense: less bullet weight should be safer -or as safe- with regard to pressures. ~Muir

Back