Varberger scope mount question

LeftHandGuy

This doesn't seem to have been covered, I have tried searching the previous posts on Varberger/Lakelander rifles, so here goes:

I believe I have read that the correct scope mounts for these rifles are the same as Sauer 200 and/or front Remington 700 bases (as in you could use 2 x front bases).

If this is true, it would presumably also follow that front and rear Sauer 200 bases are the same as front 700 bases.

Is anybody able to confirm or deny this? Preferably someone who has successfully scoped a Varberger!

Many thanks,

Guy

I believe it was but I can't be certain as it was actually fitted by Carl Ericksson of Litts who were the importers of Varberger at the time. Carl explained this too me when he did it.
When Litts supplied a rifle they also supplied the mounts and rings as part of the package. I did have the boxes for the mounts but they have long gone now. My rifle was a 717 model in .270win and I believe the actual serial number was 100250. Why I should remember that I don't know as I am normally very poor at remembering numbers.

Something to be aware of with Varberger rifles is that it is possible to over tighten stock bolts resulting in the front bolt binding on the bolt in the front receiver. I suppose if you used over long screws you could do something similar when scewing on the scope blocks. The higher grade models will not suffer from that as they have integral scope groves on the receiver.

I was also told sauer 200 bases would fit as i was after qd leupold mounts for mine but i still havent got round to getting them

Mine a Lakelander has a rail milled into the action sure it's weaver fitting it's got screws for mounting blocks but not using them.

I can tell you that both bases are the same on a Varberger, I have Weaver Base no. S460 ( 2 of ). It says on the package ' used as Front base on Carl Gustaf 2000, Remington new model 7 and Sauer 202. Use as rear base on Carl Gustaf 2000'
Regards Jeffrey

Thanks gents.

Cross referencing all the above with the S&K product database gives me a base 46 (front base for 700, Model 7 and whole heap of other rifles, including the 200, 202 etc). The listing for a Sauer 200 states a 46 for front and rear base. I would feel pretty safe getting 2 piece sets for Sauer 200.

Jeffrey, you have a PM,
Guy

Back