Sako .22 finnfire2

dan71

Hi has anyone got 1 of these? I just wondered what people think of them and how they compare to an anschutz and cz

I used a finnfire varmint extensively last year to shoot well over a thousand rabbits. I sold it to a friend and bought a new Anschutz thumbhole and it was a huge mistake! The Sako was in a different league regarding accuracy and before anyone says anything I tried every subsonic ammo under the sun! If you can find a good one buy it!

Sorry I have just read your post again, mine was the original Finnfire (the best version) the new one is just a quad without the removable barrel.

My dad has an old anschutz and it is spot on. A mate has a mk1 finnfire and its good. I have a cz and it in my opinion aint great or maybe i just dont get on with it. I just need to decide what to do. Either change it or have it checked and/or customised.

Dont own one but Have had a little play with one when they came out
was a little disappointed that they just rejigger the quad
i have two quads so am not against them but it is marketed as a higher end version and the price matches that

in practice it carries retry much the same action as the quad
the same stock as the quad hunter
I don't see any significant upgrade.....and you can't switch barrels!

Same here played with one 2 weeks ago, very disappointed just a quad dressed in a hyped price tag, got a quad n 2 barrels too

Have got a Quad Synthetic in .22wmr - no complaints, accurate, reliable and hits hard at 100m - well made and affordable - like every other Sako.

The Finnfire 2 is very much a Quad without the barrel change - decent enough wood on them and perfectly good enough if you don't want multi RF calibers on one chassis.

Having said that, if you can find a decent 2nd hand original Finnfire, I'd have one of those over the new one - classic rifle and good investment.

Last edited:
Are the quad not that great?

I love mine
have 5 barrels and two actions/stocks
.22 can be fussy on ammo choice with unfired extraction, easily solved

Otherwise very accurate, ragged holes
metal components are very well made
wood stock is much better than any cz, Annie, etc
aftermarket components are a bling addition

cant complain personally

Are the quad not that great?

Never had a problem with the Quad but the change of barrel means a re zero every time, I thought of getting a dedicated .17hmr to save the time and just part exchanging the .17 barrel, or maybe get another quad frame, as they are accurate and easy shooting, light too in synthetic.

And do you have to re zero for every barrel? Or is it fit and go?

placcy stock is just for the short .22, don't swap the barrels although I guess I could

wood stock has Custom Leupold QR scope mounts and I have a cheap scope for each barrel
(2x walther IR , a Nikko stirling and a Tasco, less than £150 tied up in them)

very repeatable
no longer check zero having switched between the barrels on so many occasions

Posted by Donkey Basher:

"Sako/Tikka rifles are another example. I'm an engineer by trade and look at how the old Tikka M558/590/595 rifles are made and see decent engineering (apart from those tupperware stocks). I then look at the T3 and see a solution that meets the various specifications the designer was given not least of which seems to be keeping production costs down. Then there are the Sako rimfires... I have a Finnfire and will never sell it. Sako replaced this model with the Quad which was a gimmick with its colour coded barrels and accompanying Burris(?) scope. Their latest offering is the Finnfire 2 - this is marketed as if it is built to the same specs as the original Finnfire, it certainly trades on the connection, when in fact read carefully and you'll find it uses the same action as the Quad..."

Posted by Donkey Basher:

"Sako/Tikka rifles are another example. I'm an engineer by trade and look at how the old Tikka M558/590/595 rifles are made and see decent engineering

I can agree with this
I have a Tikka 658 and it is as well built as any modern Sako

Thanks to K for finding a response I posted on another thread but which is equally valid on this one and to Bewsher for reinforcing it.

Like any business with shareholders Sako (Beretta USA now?) need to keep the money rolling in and the way to do this is to put new stuff on the market and advertise it so people think they have to sell their old version and go and get the latest one.

As it happens I found the receipt for my Finnfire Varmint in a drawer full of miscellaneous paperwork (dog pedigrees, gun receipts, etc.) the other day and was amazed at the return I could make if I sold it now! The fact that Finnfire P94S rifles have not just held their value but are now well in excess of what they were when new is testament to their worth.

If I was looking for a 'new to me' 22LR at the moment I would not hesitate to make a call to any of the retailers selling the original Finnfire on Guntrader or similar websites. If you search for bolt action 22LR rifles and then filter by make for Sako you'll find that you can pick up a good Finnfire Varmint for less than a new Finnfire Hunter 2.

Given that you will NEVER shoot out the barrel of a 22LR using lead bullets (you could knacker it trying to clean it), all you really need to do is decide whether a bit of bluing missing off the bolt knob is an issue for you, or whether you can live with a few dents in the woodwork - odds are you'll add some of your own soon enough anyway but if you're really fussy you can spend an afternoon with a hot iron and wet cloth steaming them out and then use some 1200 grit wet and dry and 0000 wire wool before applying some red oil and suitable finishing oil to get an as new finish - just done it to mine after 16 years of abuse and it's come up brilliantly!

At the end of the day though you pay your money and take your choice.

I would very much agree on the quality of the latest Sako/Tikka compared with models from a few years ago.I have both a Finnfire varmint and a Quad and to me there is no comparison,the Quad feels built to a price.
My old wooden stocked Tikka M595 .243 has to be the most accurate rifle I have fired albeit with ammunition loaded to suit.

It is a shame the new Sako and Tikka offerings feel inferior quality.

Back