Shooting Deer in a 3 Acre Garden

Number one:
Log this intended shoot with local plod, I wouldn't normally suggest this course, but for the mention of nearby neighbours, If only one of them is anti, you will have sh*tstorm to deal with.

Everything else sounds OK, just make sure you have WRITTEN request/permission.

I have first hand experience on this subject, X 3! costs nothing to log the intentions.

No, but if a member of the public reports gunshots, they will still almost certainly send armed response out, just in case. It's all about arse covering.

Been up this evening, phoned in before I started then logged off when I had finished. The local constabulary thanked me for my diligence.

Saw no deer though!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Been up this evening, phoned in before I started then logged off when I had finished. The local constabulary thanked me for my diligence.

Saw no deer though!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Its like you're clocking on and off for work the police being your boss!!
Its because people feel obliged to tell their police every time they go out shooting, that this kind of logging in and out will eventually become mandatory.

Ian.

The police these days are very risk conscious.

The fact that they have got a 'phone call from you before you go out won't necessarily stop them sending out firearms officers, dogs, helicopters, a troop of morris dancers and a tea lady when someone calls in and says there's a mad man on the loose shooting up the countryside, probably part of a terrorist cell practicing. They might call you to try verify whether it's you or not, but most people will have the phone on silent or be in some leafy valley or fell with no signal. The caller to the police will no doubt have exaggerated the situation to justify himself and the police are left with a decision. Do nothing and face the consequences if something is wrong or send out the circus to make sure their backs are covered.

So don't think the magic 'phone call is a cure-all. There are times when it might be advisable to tell the police. There are times when it's a waste of time. That decision should be down to the individual. I expect most police forces don't realise how many calls they'd get if everyone did it or it was made compulsory. Imagine the deluge of calls during the pheasant season every weekend, the keeper doing his rounds daily, rough shooters, stalkers, vermin controllers, people zeroing their rifles, wildfowlers and those just taking a clay trap into a field.

In my view calling in is always going to be a waste of time and effort, and only serves to act as a precedent for the time it becomes mandatory & we all have to call an automated service activated with a PIN. And all paid for with a mere £19.99 per month direct debit ;)

From reading this thread I see that whilst you have all the qualifications you seem unsure or inexperienced? Not trying to offend here. But, if you are legally qualified to shoot and everything is good and the neighbours are on board why do you need to speak to,
us
basc
police.

i shoot near some establishments and have military planes taking off and landing all the time. Never felt a need to let anyone know. Particularly with deer where you are likely to get one shot maybe too if your lucky. I will sit out in the garden and sometimes hear a shot go off. But I live in the country and you expect it.

so why are you so nervous. I can understand, just checking. But are you hesident due to inexperience?

No mate, plenty of experience rifle shooting. I to have shot in a couple of sensitive areas, a golf course on the end of city surrounded by houses etc.

Just wanted to ensure I had all my ducks in a row first, when I spoke to BASC they said I had done the right thing, I am working on a better safe than sorry approach, and just wanted to draw on the experience and knowledge of others who may have experienced something similar.

By the time this thread is finished the deer will have died from old age, nothing to worry about then job done :evil:

Indeed but what is wrong in seeking opinions on a subject if you have any doubts about or if someone suggests that may prove to be an arse saver.

More fool if you don't do homework about an area you have no experience of than be wise before the cock up

With all this 'reporting to the police' half of them don't know why you ring so think you are not sure of something so just turn up to see what's going on.
I know for a fact that some of the Police know nothing about firearms and Deer so when they hear anything 'interesting' on the radio they turn up just to have a look.

Logging in with plod is only done by me / us in a sensitive area, or definately when a known anti resides close to the shoot site, if plod gets a call from a "concerned" resident or passer by, they are duty bound to turn out, usually by air first off, if you have previously made them aware, you have done your bit,& they are less likely to make things more difficult than needs be. As to setting precedents, this is ancient history, we are already on the back foot in some licensing areas, why make a rod for your own back? ....

I personally only "log in" with the Police when shooting on public land or areas that are directly overlooked, accessible or inhabited by Joe Public
Golf courses, sports grounds, football rugby pitches
one football pitch is like fort knox, once in I am alone. I don't log in for that one.

be sure why you are logging in.
You are doing it to save yourself and the police a full scale black helicopter call out.
They still will/may respond to a complaint of "terrorist with gun" from little old ladies.
But if they have your number they WILL call you back first.

In this scenario - Private ground, owner permission - no danger I would be logging in.
None of their business

Back