Best .22 rimfire

I have a CZ452 and I cant fault it.
only other .22 i would have is the Ruger 10/22 only because of all the after sales mods.

another vote for a finnfire or 1417 , I had a finnfire that was so accurate but needed a shorter barrel , I didn't have the heart to chop the sako so sold it and got a 1417 thumbhole and 14" barrel , its loveeeely . As a hunting rifle I think its perfect, for targets I would buy a finnfire varmint
craig

Long and short is that anschutz or old finnfire are top of the list! I will keep an eye out!

I use a sako quad heavy barrel bought new and has been back to sako/gmk 4 times now for faults.
when its working a fantastic bit of kit ultra accurate and nice to use but if I was to get another 22 it would be an anschutz .

I use a sako quad heavy barrel bought new and has been back to sako/gmk 4 times now for faults.
when its working a fantastic bit of kit ultra accurate and nice to use but if I was to get another 22 it would be an anschutz .
What faults?

ammo getting caught on the breach and taking the leading edge of the bullet off and this was on all the ammo I used.
not ejecting fired cases.
trigger locking solid just like the safety was on no amount of pressure could get the trigger to pull but the bolt would cycle so the safety was not on.
and the last was because gmk decided to dremmel a leading edge on the breach to guide the bullet in and I was not happy about that im sure it was designed that the bullet would guide in without having to attack a brand new gun with a dremmel.
and after a few strong words they fitted a new barrel and no problems since so that proved my point.
the trigger locking gmk said it was because the trigger spring had been wound down to much so after they reset it it happened on the second magazine I shot through it so it quite obviously wasn't the trigger weight.
after a lot of head scratching I soaked the bolt in penetrating fluid and lots of black gunk came out and its worked perfect since.

ammo getting caught on the breach and taking the leading edge of the bullet off and this was on all the ammo I used.
not ejecting fired cases.
trigger locking solid just like the safety was on no amount of pressure could get the trigger to pull but the bolt would cycle so the safety was not on.
and the last was because gmk decided to dremmel a leading edge on the breach to guide the bullet in and I was not happy about that im sure it was designed that the bullet would guide in without having to attack a brand new gun with a dremmel.
and after a few strong words they fitted a new barrel and no problems since so that proved my point.
the trigger locking gmk said it was because the trigger spring had been wound down to much so after they reset it it happened on the second magazine I shot through it so it quite obviously wasn't the trigger weight.
after a lot of head scratching I soaked the bolt in penetrating fluid and lots of black gunk came out and its worked perfect since.

Jesus!
i would only have returned that once!
some cheek sending it back in U/S condition

i was quite annoyed and the gun shop bent over backwards to help it was that the rifle just hadn't been checked before leaving the factory.
in the motor trade we just call it a Friday afternoon gun thrown together before home time

BRNO #2
I'm sure there's one for sale in the classifieds at the mo.
Wouldn't change mine for anything.

Had mine since '82, fired thousands of rounds through it. Can't fault it or imagine using any other .22

Had mine since '82, fired thousands of rounds through it. Can't fault it or imagine using any other .22

I bought enough barreled receivers and related parts off of the surplus market to assemble 8 - 10 Brno #2's. (or #1's, they are about the same) These guns are retired 'trainers' dating from 1949 to 1965. All the rifles I assembled shoot as well as my new CZ 453 Varmint did before I gave it away. I can't imagine how many thousands of rounds each of these rifles has had through it but they still work -and work well. I've got a new-in-the-box CZ 452 waiting for whenever I get tired of these #2 Brnos and after years, it remains unfired in the box. Can't beat a Brno #2 or CZ 452.~Muir

A Cooper but only if they get of their ar$e and sort out the in-the-field bolt lift problem they've known about for at least 10 years.

Basically the action and bolt require a modification along the lines of Brno's use of a ball bearing in the bolt handle that engages with a recess in the action when lowered.

Anything that keeps the damn thing closed and that is a step up from an elastic band and shoe tack driven into the stock!

K

:rofl:

That'll teach you... fancy having to put nails into the stock to make the bolt stay down - you'll be using bungee chords to keep the doors shut on the rumble truck next!

Answer to the OP's question - Sako Finnfire (P94S not the carp new Finnfire 2), had mine since they first came out and is an absolute tack driver!

i was quite annoyed and the gun shop bent over backwards to help it was that the rifle just hadn't been checked before leaving the factory.
in the motor trade we just call it a Friday afternoon gun thrown together before home time

Don't want to start a GMK bashing thread but all that sounds very familiar... I bought a new M595 and it had feed issues with the 5 round magazine I bought with it from new (3 round plastic one was fine). Eventually in a fit of despair I rocked up at GMK HQ one morning after stalking and refused to leave until they sorted it. Their answer was to take the rifle and a box of ammo to one corner of the workshop and then go through a succession of new magazines cycling live ammo into the chamber until they found one that worked reliably, gave it to me and said 'there you go'...

As for the Finnfire II, you have to ask yourself why they have effectively renamed the Quad - it may be 'in the spirit of the old Finnfire' but it isn't a P94S, end of.

Yes, I'm bored, it's a wet Sunday afternoon and I have got nothing better to do while all my dirty brass is in the tumbler!

Hi, Hampshire is still wet, windy and now dark, so I might as well join in!
I have a CZ452 in 22lr, and I love it to bits, very accurate with subs but won`t shoot stingers or any high velocity ammo. This is not really a problem it just means I am going to buy a cheap second hand semi-auto to shoot stingers. Tim.

Frankly I don't know of any rimfire that will shoot ultra high velocity 22lr to an acceptable stand of accuracy at 50 yards. Can't see a semi auto being any better but it will of course make it cycle more positively!

K

Last edited:
Back