6.5x50 RWS Magnum

hybridfiat

Has anyone here had any experience with this unusual wildcat?
I'm considering building a small single shot highly accurate rifle that can shoot out to at least 800m. The base cartridge (5.56x50R RWS Magnum) has a rim allowing me to use it in the action I have.
I've found some info on another site but in German. It lists some fairly low velocities due to it being used in slide in barrels for break action shotguns.
I have an action or 2 that will take 60,000psi all day every day.

That's definitely a different cartridge that. I don't have anything about it in my (mostly American) books.

May I ask why this cartridge, are you limited to overal length (martini action)?

If not, there are many rimmed carrridges out there which would be nice for long range stuff but with significantly more info out there

ps. Why 800 yards? Hell of a distance.

Last edited:
Good option from K there.

You also have one of the Epps carrridges using 303 as a parent, 6.5-30 or 7-30 waters using 30-30 as the parent.

Personally, I'd go for a .348 Win necked down to 6.5 or 7mm. Case capacity would be high and it'd be blistering. Undoubtably be done before but you could very feasibly draw up your design, get the reamer made by PTG and you have your own version of a wildcat. 6.5x348 Hybrid :)

My feeling, FWIW, is if one is going to the not inconsiderable trouble of building a wildcat rifle it should, surely, be with the remit of making such as sympathetic as is practicably possible to the builder’s sensibilities and adventures vision.
K

My feeling, FWIW, is if one is going to the not inconsiderable trouble of building a wildcat rifle it should, surely, be with the remit of making such as sympathetic as is practicably possible to the builder’s sensibilities and adventures vision.
K

Blimey ! That is some sentence. I assume you mean that hybridfiat should build the rifle of HIS dreams.

How about "build (design) your own wildcat"?

K

More on my wavelength that mate :) I'm in the process of finishing up my wildcat and it's annoying and frustrating but it's rewarding overcoming the little (and big) snags.
Cant wait to have it chambered.

Worth every second.

Last edited:
There will definitely be a full write up K.

Well atleast a write up detailing the design stage. It may be a little while before it turns in to a rifle :(

Ha! Well it's based on a very large case so a short action may be a tad too little ;)

Although Mauser is the only real choice for a rifle like this. That's a clue right there :)

Last edited:
Cheers all.
I have some options.
1. The Martini action I have is limited to a short cartridge. The extractor needs a rim to work effectively. There is a way to do a rimless extractor but it isn't strong.
2. I have the option of using a bolt action instead but it has a small face and so as not to have to alter the face a 5.56 x 50 would do nicely.

I have made a few wildcats in the past. My favourite was the 6mm/30-30 'Phillips'. A shortened (1.5") straight wall 30-30 case necked to 6mm. With light (70 - 85gn) projectiles it was treading on the heels of a .243.
25-20 improved (flat top 85 grainer SPs vapourised rabbits at 100m).
I have a .223R in a Martini Cadet action. That started life with a match barrel from Shilen that was chambered in 5.56x50 RWS Magnum, we shortened the chamber to a .222 Rimmed but with the .223 shoulder. Then later I pushed the chamber forward to full 223 length and use 5.56x50 cases shortened to .223 (neck turned).
All good fun but unusual loading dies were a royal pain in the arse to source or if I was really desperate make.

Thought it may be a martini action. Something based on the 45-70 (or 45-90, I believe 45-90 is the max to get it in the chamber)
Not long range mind. Hmmmm it's an interesting idea this long range martini of yours :)

Thought it may be a martini action. Something based on the 45-70 (or 45-90, I believe 45-90 is the max to get it in the chamber)
Not long range mind. Hmmmm it's an interesting idea this long range martini of yours :)

The .44 Rem Mag case is the widest case (base diameter) that can be fitted into a Cadet. Even then threads were often sacrificed and the barrel glued in.
A 45-70 fits nicely in a Martini Henry action, I do have one in .35 Whelen (rimmed).

Back