Help with DSC1 question on fallow deer in spring

nicowilson

I'm struggling with this DSC1 question:

180 In the spring fallow deer are usually found?
a In groups comprising a mix of all age groups and both sexes
b In groups containing either young or old animals but seldom both
c In groups with the does and fawns living separately from the older bucks
d As single animals or a doe and fawn but seldom in groups

The "Social Structure" section of the Deer Initiative guide to Fallow says that they're herding animals and that sexes are usually segregated.

I'm guessing that the answer is b simply because a, c and d no don't apply. Am I right?

Thanks

Try the dsc training course online. It asks you the questions and then tells you if you are correct or not. It's very helpful if revising for the level 1 course.

DSCtraining.org

If you have any doubts on any of the questions before your DSC course, make notes of them & ask your tutors on the course. They will give you their understanding & the answers that would pass on the test (as they do the marking). If the training organization is worth their salt, they will provide answers at any time from when you have registered for a course.(Providing you're not a pain in the butt!)

Ian

Thanks all for your help.

It's probably helpful if I give you the context. I'm booked on Jelen's DSC1 course.

In readiness I've been working through Jelen's excellent online training and then annotating a hard copy of the question bank with the correct answer, and the going back through the question bank again and making sure that I've understood the correctly answer.

Unfortunately some questions (of which 180 is one) haven't yet appeared in the online training yet others have appeared many times.

I've also got a copy of the BDS training guide, which is great but also didn't have an obvious answer for question 180.

Try the dsc training course online. It asks you the questions and then tells you if you are correct or not. It's very helpful if revising for the level 1 course.

DSCtraining.org
+1 at only £10'/month it'll be the best money you can spend ,20 mins a night for a month = pass

Sorry dave
i can only vouch for what my pals and I used before we spent the day for assessment only at donnington deer .
although we were all "experienced " stalkers I think we would defo struggled a bit with a few of the tricky questions .the online learning makes things so much easier than reading from a book and for me sitting in a classroom .im sure your jelen online learning is equally as efficient I hadn't read all the threads before posting :doh:
so missed the jelen bit .
which ever way folks decide to learn for dsc 1 the qualification is worth while and we all enjoyed the experience this coming from someone who was very sceptical of the whole thing !!
Cheers Norma

No worries Norma you are right it is a worth while course to do. I meet so many experienced stalkers who say the same.
Atb Dave ( Jelen deer services )

Glyn no disrespect intended and I know exactly what your quote intended to say but not everyone me included can sit in a classroom for three days I for one learnt more out of school doing rather than reading .i think if someone has a good knowledge of stalking already then dsc.org or jelen online learning is great .for a raw recruit to go straight for online learning I couldn't comment maybe others on here can but stick me in a classroom 30 yrs after I left school and I'd do just as poorly as I did back then .
Like your driving test I'm sure a few things are forgotten and bad habits formed but I'd hope the mainstay of the dsc knowledge sinks in .
k.regards
doug

Are the questions selected completely randomly? I'm seeing some many times, and haven't seen others (e.g. 180) yet.
Yes the questions appear in random as your test on the day will be. Any problems don't esitate to get in touch or list your probs and we'll go through them when you attend your course and keep up the good work.
Atb Dave

Glyn no disrespect intended and I know exactly what your quote intended to say but not everyone me included can sit in a classroom for three days I for one learnt more out of school doing rather than reading .i think if someone has a good knowledge of stalking already then dsc.org or jelen online learning is great .for a raw recruit to go straight for online learning I couldn't comment maybe others on here can but stick me in a classroom 30 yrs after I left school and I'd do just as poorly as I did back then .
Like your driving test I'm sure a few things are forgotten and bad habits formed but I'd hope the mainstay of the dsc knowledge sinks in .
k.regards
doug

I take your point Doug but, in fact what you have said actually supports my opinion too.

I feel many people who try to learn/revise for DSC1 by constantly doing mock tests on the interweb are actually making it more difficult for themselves. What they are really doing is trying to remember a series of numbers and letters then get in a muddle about whether 180=C etc. It isn't a kims game or code breaking exercise.

To take the case in point, ten minutes spent reading about fallow behaviour would give the answer and, very importantly, the information is more likely to be retained if the subject is understood. I suspect that it will seem far more interesting and less 'school' like too.

I see quite a number of people doing DSC2 that have clearly forgotten (or never fully understood) some of the basics.

Back