Roe Deer Mange

bryn

I shot a an old Roe Doe yesterday which appears to have mange. She was pretty old with stumps for teeth, skinny and little fat. The gralloch had no obvious negative signs and apart from little fat.
She will obviously not be going into the human food chain but can she be dog meat.

As always appreciated.

bryn

Last edited:
Unless the mange was advanced, there's no reason for it not to be edible, so it's fine for the dogs. It's pretty rare but I know some has occurred over your way. Pics would be good to see.

I shot a an old Roe Doe yesterday which appears to have mange. She was pretty old with stumps for teeth, skinny and little fat. The gralloch had no obvious negative signs and apart from little fat.
She will obviously not be going into the human food chain but can she be dog meat.

As always appreciated.

bryn

are you sure it wasn't just changing into her summer coat? as I have shot a few up here that really look like that but after a few weeks they are back to normal?

Looks like demoedex to me, I've shot a lot with it including a silver buck-do a search on here and have a look really unusual for a deer to have mange.

Interesting how the hair has been nibbled short anywhere in reach, yet the skin looks relatively undamaged. When you skin it, have a good look at the lymph nodes in front of the shoulder and the thigh - they'd probably be enlarged.

I remember your posts about that Ben. Are you still seeing deer with it?

Demodex in Roe

Hi Alex yes i shot one last week with it. A reduction cull has helped a lot and I'm not seeing the really bad cases like a few years ago. Average weights in that block have gone up (does from 32-34lbs in 5 years) but it doesn't seem to matter how healthy the animal is they can still succumb to it. The doe last week had a good larder weight and the reason I mentioned the silver medal buck was that he was obviously healthy enough into the spring to support that amount of antler growth but it still took hold. It doesn't seem to be like fleas ticks and lice which tend to do better on already poor conditioned animals.

we shot a roe doe on Saturday morning with two patches that looked just like it had been shaved .the patch on the rear leg was around 100 mm and the one on the flank a bit smaller I have never seen this before and I wish I had taken a photo or two for future reference . the doe looked in good health so it will be on plate sometime soon

Back