Glasses or Contacts ?

2434me

How do people deal with glasses and bino's ? I am having to take my glasses off every time and its a pain :mad:

I went to try contacts lastThursday and have spent the rest of the week poking my eyes out trying to get them in ! AARRGGHH

The ironic thing is that it was a real cute 20 year old with half inch false nails that managed to put them in the first time ????lolol

Stick with the contacts it does get easier.

I tried and tried to stalk with glasses but could not get on with them.

It is contacts for stalking for me just wear glasses the rest of the time.

I just buy a months worth of daily disposables at a time and only oder some more when I am running low.

have you thought about laser correction

i got mine done about 3 years ago

best thing i have spent money on in years

before the surgery i had worn glasses for 18 years
now i have 20/20 vision

steve

Yes thought about it thats about as far as I have got, what did it cost and how long did it take?

Contacts are the way forward, once you get the hang of them you will not want to go back. I switched to the monthly disposables last year ( you leave them in for a month at a time- even when sleeping) absolutely brilliant - no fumbling around looking for your glasses when you get up ! Good luck with them, Phil.

I thought about the laser side of things ? but that had BIG £ signs in front of it and I simply cant afford it .

Perseverance with contacts will win the day I think .

I use daily disposables - acuvue moist are the most comfotable I've tried. Stick with them - it gets a lot easier as you get used to them. I've thought about laser surgery, but there is always a risk with any operation, and that's what puts me off.

I too use acuvue daily disposables. Put them in as soon as i wake up; put my specs back on in the evening. Stick with it, you will soon get the hang of it! I have been wearing contacts for 20 years! If you are a real cheapskate like me you can get a good months use out out of single pair of acuvue daily disposables!!!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:
Forget glasses or laser, you simply take the "real cute 20 year old with half inch false nails" with you when you go stalking!
Seriously I tried both glasses & contacts, you do get used to contacts after a while but in the end I went for laser in 2003, never looked back (no pun) 20/20 just need cheap ready readers now when reading small print at night.
Cost, £950 per eye, prices have dropped a lot now tho.

I was under impression that contact sports were a bad idea with laser surgery, something to do with the incision opening on being jolted (shooting isn't a contact sport, but recoil from rifle might have the same effect)

Having used gas permeable lenses and daily disposables, gas permeables are much easier to get in and out being of smaller diameter, you can also wear them for longer and your eyes feel much better after taking them out, the downside is that they are less comfortable and take more getting used to. The fit is also crucial - not happy with the ones spec savers fitted, haven't worn them much.

At the moment, I manage most of the time with glasses, binos aren't too bad with fold down eye cups. The only problem comes with bad weather when contacts are much easier: I've still got some daily disposables which I can use, or I can just wait for the weather to improve before going out :)

Get lasered, it's changed my life. Came back from Glasgow on the train having had it done, the snow was lying thick over Corrour, blackgame and grouse were popping everywhere, hordes of deer...and I could see it all - the next day!

One note of caution - don't use one of the cheaper ones, heard some horror stories from my optician who did the aftercare. He looked at them all and came to the conclusion that he would work only with Ultralase. Good enough for me.

Try the contacts you can leave in day AND night for 30 days. I use them and have used them for 5 years with No problem. Saves messing about and sticking grubby fingers in your eye. On the up side you wake up with perfect vision on the down side it depends who you are waking up along side !
Cheaper than lasers Plus I have2 friends who had the laser treatment done and 3 years later needed it again to correct them as they started to lose focus, me I just get a new prescription and pop em in.

You soon get used to contacts - I wear monthly disposables, and popping 'em in and out soon become part of your routine, just like brushing your teeth. and they aren't expensive any more - try ASDA or CostCo

Glases used to drive me spare - steaming up, getting scratched, sliding forward on your nose, etc, etc :evil::evil::evil:

Personally I wouldn't have laser correction (I can't anyway - my pupils are too large apparently....just makes me even more alluring to the opposite sex :cool::rolleyes:). You only get one pair of peepers, and I've heard too many stories of people having their short-sightedness corrected, but ending up having to wear glasses for close-up, OR developing a fuzzy ring of blurry vision around the periphery of the corrected zone. I'll stick to contacts.....

"Forget glasses or laser, you simply take the "real cute 20 year old with half inch false nails" with you when you go stalking!" lol

I have a funny feeling she would be thinking of " The holiday Inn " when I asked her if she fancied a buck in velvet !????

On the other hand (which is more likely!) I would end up with a black eye accompanied with the words "Dirty old ******** etc etc :oops:

Thanks for everyones answers,Its good to get other idea's and experiences.

I was under impression that contact sports were a bad idea with laser surgery, something to do with the incision opening on being jolted (shooting isn't a contact sport, but recoil from rifle might have the same effect)

Having used gas permeable lenses and daily disposables, gas permeables are much easier to get in and out being of smaller diameter, you can also wear them for longer and your eyes feel much better after taking them out, the downside is that they are less comfortable and take more getting used to. The fit is also crucial - not happy with the ones spec savers fitted, haven't worn them much.

At the moment, I manage most of the time with glasses, binos aren't too bad with fold down eye cups. The only problem comes with bad weather when contacts are much easier: I've still got some daily disposables which I can use, or I can just wait for the weather to improve before going out :)

Wrong there mate re contact, pro rugby payers have had it done, and some of the lads I have seen deliver more recoil than a 600 nitro express! the "incision" is fully healed in 6 weeks, no different than a cut on your finger

Wrong there mate re contact, pro rugby payers have had it done, and some of the lads I have seen deliver more recoil than a 600 nitro express! the "incision" is fully healed in 6 weeks, no different than a cut on your finger

OK, just had a quick google, looks like you only have to avoid it for a few weeks whilst it heals, so just don't time it wrong so you don't miss too much stalking :)

Strenuous contact sports such as boxing, football, karate, etc. should not be attempted for at least four weeks after surgery.

after 30 years of glasses and contacts I took the plunge about a month ago, and had the laser correction, the op is about 20mins and is worse to think about than to actually experience. My eyesight is better than 20-20 and is certainly as good as when I wore contacts, cost is high but it evens out over a few years, as I wasn't able to get on with the cheaper lens, if you can afford it than I think its the way to go.

Contacts don't work for everyone. The optician said there still isn't a contact available that will make me see better than the varifocal specs he was giving me. Come back in five years and see if things have moved on. Saying all that, the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 binos I now have are the first binoculars I can use without taking my specs off and boy I would love to take my specs off and never put them on again. As I have posted before, wish I had been able to get a pair years ago.

Back