FOD Boar

I love the melodramatic headline "[FONT=open_sans]Wild boar break into Forest of Dean churchyard and dig up graves"
[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sans]
I didn't realise that they buried them that shallow in Parkend. [/FONT]
:rolleyes:
I think we ought to drive a few of them boar a few miles south as there's more than a few grave yards around me that need turning over.:stir:

Last edited:
:popcorn:

I love the melodramatic headline "[FONT=open_sans]Wild boar break into Forest of Dean churchyard and dig up graves"
[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sans]
I didn't realise that they buried them that shallow in Parkend. [/FONT]
:rolleyes:
I think we ought to drive a few of them boar a few miles south as there's more than a few grave yards around me that need turning over.:stir:

You do realise that now with global warming that at that end of the country you will soon be hunting from skiffs,and that there is allready a surplus of things to point noisy things at,send some up here!!:D

We had 5 over the weekend and even watched a sow come out with 5 newly born piglets which shows they are breeding at least twice a year

That's because they're foresters. Have you counted the toes on their trotters? :rofl:

We had 5 over the weekend and even watched a sow come out with 5 newly born piglets which shows they are breeding at least twice a year
Sorry i don't want to be clever but they not breed twice a year what do happens sometime if the sow lost the piglets in a couple of week the sow able to breed again but that still once a year...

Interesting that DEFRA estimate the FoD boar population at 1562 (and the FC culled 534 in 2015), how can they be so precise, estimates would normally be rounded up or down, and what is the FoD for the purposes of the count? My guess is that they did some counts and then extrapolated on a computer. I have just had a FOI answer from the NRW (FC equivalent in Wales) in response to a question about deer/boar culls and they have shot just 1 boar in the period 2012-16.

It's also interesting that the local council have agreed "to support the Forestry Commission in adopting effective management methods within their agreed management plan 2010 to 2016, to control and maintain a sustainable feral wild boar population in the FoD", clearly no desire to eradicate them.

The FC estimate that they need to cull 712 in 2016-17 to achieve a stable population and part of the minutes to the meeting referred to in the article had an interesting fact: the income from selling wild boar into the food chain last year was £42,595 which was about a third of the revenue from venison, although the area referred to was more or less the whole of SW England from Ludlow to Lands End and obviously just FC land.

Last edited:
The BBC news channel had a feature on FoD boar this morning. The population has increased by 60%(FC estimates, I think) in a year, despite culling.

The FC estimate of the cull in 2016-17 required to keep numbers stable is about two boar a day, every day of the year, so allowing for non shooting days, it's actually considerably more than that. When you then add the need for the rangers to carry out a deer cull into that it's very hard to see that there's any chance of getting close, plus factor in the increasing reservoir of pigs in areas not under FC control and in some places not getting culled, and the task gets bigger, perhaps too big!

The FC estimate of the cull in 2016-17 required to keep numbers stable is about two boar a day, every day of the year, so allowing for non shooting days, it's actually considerably more than that. When you then add the need for the rangers to carry out a deer cull into that it's very hard to see that there's any chance of getting close, plus factor in the increasing reservoir of pigs in areas not under FC control and in some places not getting culled, and the task gets bigger, perhaps too big!

Perhaps they need to consider more commercial solutions such as selling the stalking rights?

Is it due to there not being enough people to shoot them, or not enough people willing to pay to shoot them?

The second perhaps.

David.

Perhaps they need to consider more commercial solutions such as selling the stalking rights?

Sell the stalking rights then nothing only the big stuff will get shot, the big cheque books will come out and the man wanting to for fill a dream of knocking over a boar will be still a dream........

Last edited:
Sell the stalking rights then nothing only the big stuff will get shot, the big cheque books will come out and the man wanting to for fill a dream of knocking over a boar will be still a dream........

Presumably the stalking rights could be sold over a shortish period with cull targets set into the lease. The leaseholder then might have to sell two sorts of stalking. Cull and trophy.

David.

Last edited:
Back