Sako 85 Laminate Varmint in 243 20 inch

Scotty99

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the above rifle for foxing and smaller deer species, I was wondering if anyone has this and can tell me which bullet weights it prefers (I think it's a 1:10 twist). I am thinking of using 100 grain mostly but want to know if these stabilise well. Any though or comments?

I have the SAKO 85 in stainless synthetic .243 and use 80 grain powershocks. Very accurate and have shot muntjac, roe fallow and sika with them with no real issues

Scotty it's more to do with the design of the actual bullet and the amount of bearing surface rather than just weight.

Scotty it's more to do with the design of the actual bullet and the amount of bearing surface rather than just weight.

True, a short fat 105 grain Geco soft point will behave differently to a sleek boat tail 105 grain AMax.

hi scotty i have one and it shoots fedral 100 gr soft point sub moa and for foxing i use nosler 70gr or 87gr vmax pm me if you need any more info

Mine is indeed 1:10 and it loves 90 grain Nosler BTs
100g are fine but 90g has the edge for accuracy

Thanks to everyone who has responded, you have confirmed that this is fine for what I need and will probably go for this.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the above rifle for foxing and smaller deer species, I was wondering if anyone has this and can tell me which bullet weights it prefers (I think it's a 1:10 twist). I am thinking of using 100 grain mostly but want to know if these stabilise well. Any though or comments?

Get the single set trigger version, it is very good.

Ian.

It is a fantastic trigger. I have the single set version and you only have to think about the squeeze and it is off.

Errr.... actually it is to do with the ratio of the bore ø to the bullet length, not bearing area.

I owned the same rifle for several yrs back , it was the most accurate rifle I've ever shot . Mine loved the 75gr ---90 gr weights .
It would if i did my bit easly shoot sub 1" @ 300m with 85gr hpbt . As others have said the trigger was ace .

Hi,

Hi Scotty..

I've the same rifle, Sako 85, stainless, laminate. Mine is used with Hornady 95gr SSTs. These are very accurate and drop deer very well. I've shot hinds, Fallow and Roe with it and never had a problem. One thing about this round though, on closer shots, say less than 100 yards, things can get a bit messy on the Roe. But like I say, they are very accurate.
I also tried the Geco 105gr soft point once when the Hornadys were not available. They too shot well and with good results on deer. I was given a few boxes of Winchester 80gr, Super X to try and honestly, I thought the gun had a problem. About a 4"-5" group at 100 yards. Rubbish! But for some reason it doesn't mind the Norma 75gr BTs.
Nice rifle but to be honest I never use it much as I prefer my 308 or my favourite, 22/250.. That laminate stock and varmint barrel make for a bit of a lump to lug about, especially with the scope and a mod on it…

Regards, cjs

Hi Scotty..

I've the same rifle, Sako 85, stainless, laminate. Mine is used with Hornady 95gr SSTs. These are very accurate and drop deer very well. I've shot hinds, Fallow and Roe with it and never had a problem. One thing about this round though, on closer shots, say less than 100 yards, things can get a bit messy on the Roe. But like I say, they are very accurate.
I also tried the Geco 105gr soft point once when the Hornadys were not available. They too shot well and with good results on deer. I was given a few boxes of Winchester 80gr, Super X to try and honestly, I thought the gun had a problem. About a 4"-5" group at 100 yards. Rubbish! But for some reason it doesn't mind the Norma 75gr BTs.
Nice rifle but to be honest I never use it much as I prefer my 308 or my favourite, 22/250.. That laminate stock and varmint barrel make for a bit of a lump to lug about, especially with the scope and a mod on it…

Regards, cjs

cjs66,

Thanks for the info, as a matter of interest I said your 308 also a Sako 85 in 20 inch?

No mate, dark side. Sorry… :oops: It is however a 20".

cjs

Ps Thats a grand looking dog in your avatar…

cjs,

Thanks for for the info. Glad you like the dog, she is Bonnie my 9 month old not so wirehaired, wirehaired Vizsla. I am training her for game at the moment, but when she is a little older I want to start her on deer tracking.

She is coming on well, points like a dream and is a great retriever, hoping she will turn out really well.

Back