New Reload

stugun

Hi chaps,
looking to reload a different make case, for the last few years i have always reloaded Lapua cases with no probs always bang on!! I have 75 no Sako cases once fired, i have US cleaned the cases, Full Length resized, Trimmed etc etc.
Question is can i expect to load these cases with same charge as i always have the Lapua ones and expect the same results???? its a .308 cal
regards Stu

Brass can have different wall thickness and this can affect the pressure/fps, the end result being a different POI, although I doubt you will notice much between Sako and Lapua or at ranges out to 300yds.

If you want to be sure just back off the load and check for pressure signs as you work back up to your current load.

I only use Lapua for my .308 although I do have some FC which I ran a trial batch up on with no noticable difference at all ranges tested.

For my .223 I have allsorts of brass, and what I do is use one make of brass for each specific load, ie,
Winchester for 55grn SP
FC for 60grn V Max
Sako for 69grn BTHP
Norma for 75grn A Max etc

HTH

If you want to check if there is much case volume difference one can always check by weighing them or filling with water an weighing the water.

Hi chaps,
looking to reload a different make case, for the last few years i have always reloaded Lapua cases with no probs always bang on!! I have 75 no Sako cases once fired, i have US cleaned the cases, Full Length resized, Trimmed etc etc.
Question is can i expect to load these cases with same charge as i always have the Lapua ones and expect the same results???? its a .308 cal
regards Stu

No. You can't expect the same results, tho you may indeed get them. Cooter is right. If you change components you should reduce the load back to starting loads and begin the work-up process anew. This is a basic rule of reloading and not to be overlooked. A quick example: I shoot a lot of 22 Hornet. Winchester cases will hold barely 13 grains of my favorite powder. Remington will easily hold 14 grains. Not a problem if I'm loading a full charge and switching from Winchester to Remington, but if I was switching Remington to Winchester I'd have a problem if I was using a high pressure load.~Muir

Back