Would you use 50g for Roe? - Poll

Would you use 50g ammo for Roe

• Total voters
YES, 50gr Hornady soft point,36grs Varget, very accurate and very effective on roe out of my Tikka T3 .22/250

The above cover it, wouldn't use a Vmax, I would use a decent SPBT.

That 36gr of Varget load seems to work really well in a bunch of 22/250's.

It's the type of bullet not how heavy it is that counts.

I agree with this especially in the lower end of the bullet weights. One of the reasons that roe were not included in the 2007 ammendment to allow the use of CF .22's in England and Wales was that the majority of bullets loaded in factory ammo were intended for vermin use, not that the calibres themselves were not suitable. There was quite a bit more to it than that but it was one of the factors. JC

I am using 25Gn benchmark with 55gn SP in the 223. H380 was the order of the day in the 22-250, both work like a charm at stalking distances.

It is not what size it is, it is what you do with it. This is a wee roe doe, not a monster like the english roe. 17.2kg on the hook!

Attachments

• January 2011 011.JPG
    January 2011 011.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
icon1.gif

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Teckel
It's the type of bullet not how heavy it is that counts.

I agree with this especially in the lower end of the bullet weights. One of the reasons that roe were not included in the 2007 ammendment to allow the use of CF .22's in England and Wales was that the majority of bullets loaded in factory ammo were intended for vermin use, not that the calibres themselves were not suitable. There was quite a bit more to it than that but it was one of the factors. JC

...and this is of course is different in Scotland where the majority of factory loaded ammunition is available with bullets intended for Deer. What a crock of sheeite. (BTW not aimed at you JC)

Having had a bit of a think about this it also smacks of hypocrisy in another way: The .22 centrefires are now allowed for use on Muntjac and Chinese water deer. So it follows that if the opinion held was that the bullets available in England were 'not suitable' then those that held the opinion also tacitly condoned their use on the previously mentioned species.

Frankly it all stinks.

G

Having had a bit of a think about this it also smacks of hypocrisy in another way: The .22 centrefires are now allowed for use on Muntjac and Chinese water deer. So it follows that if the opinion held was that the bullets available in England were 'not suitable' then those that held the opinion also tacitly condoned their use on the previously mentioned species.

Frankly it all stinks.

G

Did you contribute to the 2007 consultation? JC

do the job at "stalking" ranges, but for streching out a bit surely it wouldnt have enough energy to flatten em properly

Yes,I use 55gr sako Game kings in my .222 in scottish borders,never had a problem as long as you know its limits.
ATB John.

Did you contribute to the 2007 consultation? JC

Hi JC. Yes I did, as did a number of others with similar views. There were much louder voices than ours involved though:-| Perhaps a further review would be sensible given their (.22cf) established use on CWD and Muntjac?

Of the same bullet design I would choose 55 or 60gr over 50gr.
Quite liked 55gr sako sp ammo in 223.
edi

Back