Six Nations BBC advert (England)

Hi mate if you look that was an advert that BBC Wales didnt run for last years six nations.

It's such a shame isn't it. Rugby fans go to watch rugby! Yes we have our National teams which we're passionate about but we all mix together at the ground without issues. I thought that advert was well funny, it's true after all but it's banter... I bet the complaints were from individuals that don't even watch rugby...

I enjoy the banter when we are playing England more than any other team. I have always felt safe at a rugby match I have even been to internationals with my 9 year old daughter. Good atmosphere before during and after.

I enjoy the banter when we are playing England more than any other team. I have always felt safe at a rugby match I have even been to internationals with my 9 year old daughter. Good atmosphere before during and after.
Totally agree with you, I went to the england ireland match two weeks ago, good banter, great atmosphere and a totally safe event with no crowd segregation. regards sbm.

I go to international matches at Twickenham regularly. Never had, nor seen any trouble whatsoever. Once got a couple of tickets to watch them play South Africa in 2002, one of the autumn internationals before the World Cup that England won. South Africa were desperate to have a good showing and things got pretty intense on the pitch, a blatant and obvious late tackle on Jonny Wilkinson starting things off well.

I was there with my 10 year old son and the tickets we got were two that had been returned having been corporate tickets bought by a South African bank. We were surrounded by South Africans, me with my O2 England cap on a-la-Clive Woodward and my son in his England shirt. We had a whale of a time, with those surrounding us feeding us biltong and generally going out of their way to make us comfortable. They were a bit disheartened towards the end as England won comprehensively, but at no time did we feel anything but safe.

Other sports fans, football in particular, could learn a lot from rugby fans. Football fans obviously feel as strongly as rugby fans do about their team, but that tends to, a lot of the time be manifested by footie fans shouting and chanting insults at the opposition. Some of it is racist, as we see in the news regularly. There's no wonder things spill over into violence on occasions. Compare that to a rugby match, where out of respect for the kicker of an opposing team, silence is maintained wherever you are (except Scotland, I'm sorry to report).

I agree, my rugby club get discounted tickets a few time of year to go and see Sale, its perfectly usual to see home and away fans mixing before, during and after the match all having a great time, plenty of banter and absolutely no agro what so ever.

Yes want 'our' team to win, be it our local, county, regional or national team, but in rugby at least we can and do have fun and banter with everyone and no animosity, so why an advert that simply lets us laugh at ourselves should be banned is totally daft!

David

I've never been more p*ssed than standing at the old Lansdowne Road watching Ireland vs England... The number of hip flasks being passed around by the Irish fans, containing Lord ONLY knows what - probably their homemade potcheen - was hilarious, and this set the tone for the rest of the day, ending up in Temple Bar with 9 of "us", and x,000 of "them" drinking until the wee hours, without a fist being thrown.

Football - A gentleman's game played by thugs
Rugby - A thug's game, played by gentlemen

I nearly posted this, but thought there might be a backlash! Obviously,I spend too much time surrounded by footballers!!!!

My son was mascot at the Scotland game yesterday, so very proud Dad :)

I've taken many pals along to Rugby games at Murayfield and they just can't believe the difference between the style and behavior of the fans and the police. I have only seen one "slight" incident in the stands, after xxyears of following my National team and that was self policed :)

I suppose, don't kick up a fuss surrounded by 60,000 rugby fans !

I'm delighted to see the response from everyone on this site, it's humour[try and get some]

I went to secondry school in a small town in South West Wales (Llanelli) We were bought up on Rugby and cricket, football did not get a look in. I have aften wondered why the football supporters behave the way they do.
You cant get more patriotic Welshman than me, However on the rugby pitch If we are out played by our oppositon, then fair play to them.

Whatever happens this afternoon, Its gonna be a good game...... Cant wait.

Thats awesome mate, must have been a very special moment! A very proud Dad indeed...

VERY

eeeeee.jpg

The one on the left :) the one on the right is a pals son.

don't normaly post pictures of kids but it was televised yesterday!!!!

Due to a couple of health problems, I didn't go down yesterday. But I'm sure I'll hear the full story on his return today!!!!!!!!!!

His Mum & Big Brother did the honours

When I worked in Ireland I regularly went to Lansdowne Road for 5 Nations games, back in the day there were standing only terraces at the east end of the stadium. The Craic was mental, I would support UK sides and there were rarely more than a handful of us in the terraces dotted around amongst a few thousand Irish. Never any animosity, (or whistling) and whisky and poitin hip flasks were freely shared around all game. Great atmosphere,
Happy days.

Whilst I'm reminiscing......Whilst playing for the school team, we went on a tour to South Wales to play a couple of teams there. Both massive comprehensive schools, compared to ours that had a total of 350 pupils. The first one, the whole school turned out to support their team. We were soundly beaten. At the next game, the whole of the first school turned out, including their 1st15, to cheer us on, so we had as many supporters as the opposition. Of course we were soundly beaten again. This was in the 70's when Wales ruled the rugby world. Hopefully this afternoon it'll be a bit closer!

Back