Devcon

hairlesshunter

Hi Chaps a few questions if I may on devcon . Is the smallest amount 500g that you can buy .how Meany rifles will 500g bed . If more than one can it be stored and used later

You should get about 3 bedding jobs out of a small tub, I can't remember how much the weight was, the tubs are about 25 quid, make sure you use a good release agent otherwise you won't get it apart good luck. Yes it can be stored no problem.

I've only ever come across 500gm tubs.

As above - depending on extent of the job etc, will do 2-3 rifles. Dont tend to get to store it for long, but def does 3 months with lid back on tight.

You should get about 3 bedding jobs out of a small tub, I can't remember how much the weight was, the tubs are about 25 quid, make sure you use a good release agent otherwise you won't get it apart good luck. Yes it can be stored no problem.

I've only ever come across 500gm tubs.

As above - depending on extent of the job etc, will do 2-3 rifles. Dont tend to get to store it for long, but def does 3 months with lid back on tight.

Cheers lads is there any other makes that do smaller amounts as I only need to do one at moment or is devcon the best to use thanks craig

Last edited:
Hi there
I bought the complete kit bedding kit from ballistic studies. Its devcon for one rifle exact amounts no quess work. Release agents moilding clay, and if you need , nathan foster , the guy who runs it can talk you through the process if your not sure of anything. Otherwise he does some very good instructional vids on the subject. Post takes about 10 ten days from NZ.
​good luck

Hi eveveryone
Has anybody any suggestions for thining Devcon to make it flow a little better?
dcg

This may seem like a really silly question but I'm sure someone more experienced can answer it (maybe Jager SA?). Can other compounds be used to bed rifles?I know Devcon and Acraglas are the top two but what about other epoxy based fillers or even car body filler? Do Devcon and Acraglas have certain characteristics that make them ideal for the job, tough, resistant to compression, not brittle etc that aren't found in other products?

This may seem like a really silly question but I'm sure someone more experienced can answer it (maybe Jager SA?). Can other compounds be used to bed rifles?I know Devcon and Acraglas are the top two but what about other epoxy based fillers or even car body filler? Do Devcon and Acraglas have certain characteristics that make them ideal for the job, tough, resistant to compression, not brittle etc that aren't found in other products?

I think you'll find any 2 part epoxy will do the job, Devcon, Marine Tex and Agri glass are all trade names people associate with the job.

Stuck for a quick bedding job, skint as well, look no further than Plastic Padding, the hard type.
Did my CZ527 a few years ago now, even stuck the pillars in with it, worked great and is still going strong.

Neil. :)

CZ527 Bedding.jpg

Stuck for a quick bedding job, skint as well, look no further than Plastic Padding, the hard type.
Did my CZ527 a few years ago now, even stuck the pillars in with it, worked great and is still going strong.

View attachment 32753

Hi Neil do you treat the plastic padding the same as devcon ie boot polish as a release agent and so on cheers craig

I use JB weld, it is more fluid then Devcon and becuase like devcon it is steel bearing is just as hard.
If you are going to buy devcon get the aluminium bearing putty you get more for your 500g

Ian.

Hi Neil do you treat the plastic padding the same as devcon ie boot polish as a release agent and so on cheers craig

Yes, works perfectly.
I have tried JB weld but found it far to runny and prone to getting where you don't want it.
You can make dams from modelling clay to retain it, but Devcon or plastic padding is easier to use and only needs simple dams made from plasticene.
Only problem with Plastic Padding is the setting time, I go a little light on the hardener (make sure it is well mixed) and even then you only get a max of 10 minutes work time.
I wouldn't want to use a quick setting epoxy for a first job, or even a complex one no matter how proficient you are.
I prefer to use Devcon, easier to use and I have never heard of a problem with it, but not so easy to get and expensive when you may only do a couple of rifle.

Last edited:
I'd stay away from Polyester based products for bedding. Mostly has a higher shrinkage rate than epoxy based products.
Plastic fill materials as in some isopan Polyester based products don't make for very compression strong materials. Glas, metals or ceramics make very good fill materials in epoxy resins. Devcon make good products for bedding, it's worth the extra curing time.
edi

Back