Laser visible?

sh1kar

I was sat up in high seat earlier this evening (saw bu99er all btw too cold I think) anyway playing game guessing distances then pinging with RF binos to check when spot cock pheasant Estimate 100 yards, ping and its 98 :D So to pass time try and get its head perfectly in the RF circle Ping and it immediately stretches up and looks right at me,, ping again and its off legging to cover later tried on rabbi, def got its attention but didn't run off and again later on a robin which immediately flew off

So am guessing the laser is visible to birds and maybe mammals depending on eye??

what think??

How wide is the beam?

Sh1kar

Depending on the frequency then yes the can be seen. I have had foxes stop and stare at me with a 800nm beam and rabbits run from a laser. The beam will be quite narrow and can been seen through a night vision unit. It will be quite narrar even at that distance.

I don't know anything about lasers but I know that if I stare at a Deer, or any hunted quarry, over a mile away it will stare straight back at me and if I move or think "oh that's a good one" it runs away.
I reckon animals can see our eyes if we stare directly at them and when they stare back they can read our minds and if there is evil intent towards it, it will flee.
I don't think we credit animals with enough sense.
When I have been on driven hunts, animals have ran towards me, then stopped just in front of me, as long as I look ascance at them, they just walk on by but if I lift my head and stare directly at them they run like h**l
I know it's true because the fairy at the bottom of my garden told me :)

It's why a face veil works, animals recognise a human face, you can wear what ever color you want, as long as the face is covered.

It's why a face veil works, animals recognise a human face, you can wear what ever color you want, as long as the face is covered.

+1 for a face veil - in my experience nothing spooks any quarry more than seeing your face - it stands out like a sore thumb

The theorists will tell you no IR is visible to the mammalian eye

There is evidence to suggest snakes can

But..
anyone with an IR lamp or NV laser will have first hand experience of foxes, boar and deer all responding to the light

I had a fox stop in its tracks when I put a 800nm laser on it
It was going directly away from me so no way it saw the glow on the lens
may as well have been a white floodlight,

Back