Countryfile/Deer Initiative

but its true most recreational stalkers only want to shoot big stags bucks ,its a fact of life thats why there is so many deer . we have the same problem in ireland but thats good for us that love whacking hinds .i enjoyed country file this morning

irishgun said:
but its true most recreational stalkers only want to shoot big stags bucks ,its a fact of life thats why there is so many deer . we have the same problem in ireland but thats good for us that love whacking hinds .i enjoyed country file this morning
Irishgun, I'm a recreational stalker and on several occasions I've had red stags with good heads within range and chosen not to take the shot. I've had my Royal and am satisfied with that. We're not all trophy hunters, given the choice of a 14/16 pointer or a pricket, I've generally tried to take out the pricket. All of my stalking now is on roe, mainly in young plantations. There, if it's in season it goes down!!

So thats what a recreational stalker is all about ,shooting for trophies ,what a load off crap, I don't know who writes the script for these people ,they might research it a lot better than talk to the so called experts, YES that right so called experts there to busy shining a seat with there arse, to see that its them that create the problems with red tape ,instead of cheap daily leases which would work far better than a yearly syndicate lease and kill far more deer .

I think i was right in hearing the commentator say the problems arise from mainly fallow herds ? Well wheres the solution ? There all good at telling us of the problems .

Then there's the price of venison the price was far better a couple of years ago than it is now not the other way about .

As for the state of the woodland really requires a woodsman to coppice it it was a mess , again the so called experts could hang anything out to dry and get away with it .

All in all a load of crap, typical more jobs for the boys

Countryfile/Derr Initative

Yes I watched this program, the fact is without the "so called" 90% of non professional stalkers there is a real problem that cant be controlled using only the professional stalker. What the inititive should be is to make for us 90%ers easier and cheaper access to help reduce these numbers.

I was privvy to a few meetings, as were several other members of BDS, when the Deer Initiative was muted and the aim was to encourage Farmers and Land owners to encourage Deer Management.
This was going to be done by encouraging Farmers to accept that Stalkers were an integral part of Land management, particularly where crops and forestry were concerned, by managing the Deer.
The idea was that they would locate areas where Deer were present and educate the Land owner of the requirement for Deer management and put them in touch with Stalkers capable of doing the job.
I have not heard of a single stalker that has been put on to any stalking by them, has anybody else?

the problem with the Beeb and some others is they ask their researchers to find an expert and all they find is some one who may of wrote a book, but the book writer has probably never even held a rifle let alone shot a Deer, they are like people who write books about child care, they have no children of their so are not rearly qualifed to comment, just like the BBC on deer managment.

paul

I was privvy to a few meetings, as were several other members of BDS, when the Deer Initiative was muted and the aim was to encourage Farmers and Land owners to encourage Deer Management.
This was going to be done by encouraging Farmers to accept that Stalkers were an integral part of Land management, particularly where crops and forestry were concerned, by managing the Deer.
The idea was that they would locate areas where Deer were present and educate the Land owner of the requirement for Deer management and put them in touch with Stalkers capable of doing the job.
I have not heard of a single stalker that has been put on to any stalking by them, has anybody else?

It has all happened before !
I had my first Red stalking area in 1961 and about 1963 the BDS were doing a survey to find where the deer were.
Foolishly I sent in details of the stock on my permission and within days a BDS pratt was in touch with my landowner trying to get the shooting for himself.
The owner was happy with my service and our financial arrangement and put a polite flea in his ear.
We have had a local `Deer Control Society` [ Roe.] here since about 1963 which has worked well, stalkers have their own individual areas and financial arrangements with their respective owners. [ I have had one of my areas now for 24 years. ]
Of more recent times the DI has been poking about at night with night surveillance gear looking at areas occupied mainly by Reds without prior notification to the owners.
As yet I have seen NO material benefit from their meddling and am glad that my time is nearly over for I can well do without them. I retired from the mountain a few years ago following open-heart surgery with complications and am currently trying to pass on my Roe area to a young friend.

HWH.

I was also at a meeting hosted by the DI not to far from you. They basically wanted to know how many deer we shoot on a annual basis. Everyone apart from them decided there was nothing to gain by sharing that info with them so they basically got told to take a hike. I can only see more legislation and interferance from gov bodies so I was not happy abut passing out our info either.

Back