7mm08 150gr

jtl

Any one tried 150gr scenar in 7mm, I know their a target round but used them in 308 before changing to 7mm08 after reading an article about a pro who used them on sika, they defiantly work, if so any reload data for 7mm08.

I personally wouldn't use ANY scenar on live targets, the new manufacturing process leaves them far too hard to expand at all. You'll just zip through like a knitting needle. Now, the older type, they were ok, ish. But even those have been known to zip through both shoulders of a big red and only create caliber sized holes.

Stick with an amax if you are going to insist on using target bullets.

I don't shoot scenars but I'd think that any 150 grain starting load will work. Seems like a lot of bullet for a couple of hundred yards.~Muir

I did a lot of roe with them in 308 and may be a dozen reds and fallow never had any thing get away and not much meat damage which was the main reason for them bot maybe they have changed.

I don't shoot scenars but I'd think that any 150 grain starting load will work. Seems like a lot of bullet for a couple of hundred yards.~Muir

I agree. Why not still with the 139/140 grain bullets, unless you are going for big deer or boar, close enough to have the energy? The 150-gr bullets are generally going to be a bit stouter, because they are loaded for the .280 Remington, 7x64, and 7mm magnums. A Nosler Partition, BT, or 154-gr SST is going to open up better at 7x57 or 7mm-08 speeds.

In fact, the 120-gr Nosler BT is a tougher bullet than the 140-gr BT - same jacket thickness around less lead. It is a great round in the 7mm-08, whether loaded for closer range like a .257 Roberts at 2,650 fps, or flat out at 3,000 fps for deer out to 300 yards.

Last edited:
I agree. Why not still with the 139/140 grain bullets, unless you are going for big deer or boar, close enough to have the energy? The 150-gr bullets are generally going to be a bit stouter, because they are loaded for the .280 Remington, 7x64, and 7mm magnums. A Nosler Partition, BT, or 154-gr SST is going to open up better at 7x57 or 7mm-08 speeds.

In fact, the 120-gr Nosler BT is a tougher bullet than the 140-gr BT - same jacket thickness around less lead. It is a great round in the 7mm-08, whether loaded for closer range like a .257 Roberts at 2,650 fps, or flat out at 3,000 fps for deer out to 300 yards.

Yup! What he said.~Muir

A 120 grain Game Pro all but took this boy's head off with a shot to the neck at 60-ish yards after a 30 cal, 165 grain SST creased the back and went between the shoulder blade and the rib cage and, seemingly, blew up. The initial shot was 100 yards downhill with a 30-06. (see the displaced hair by my leg?)The deer went down in heap but them got up and lurched off into the draw. I cut him off and shot him in the neck with the Tikka 7-08. That settled that.
~Muir
Muledeer2014CROP_zpsd3a0cb9f.jpg%7E320x480

Freaking cold! -10F and 20 mph winds.

My friend also has very good results with the 120 pro hunter from his 19" 7-08. He claims the 7-08 kills as well as his 270win with less fuss.
edi

Have you got a good hard round in 7mm with minimum expansion in your experience Muir?

I use a 150gr Sierra HPBT for practice, over 39.1gr of Vihtavuori N-140, and the same load for stalking rounds with a 150gr Degol DL1 (which is a sort of premium, thick-jacketed bonded hollowpoint). The FMJ rounds are very accurate in my rifle, the stalking ones perhaps a tiny bit less so but more than accurate enough. I shall try them out on deer hopefully the weekend after next, if the Woods (and Malc!) see fit to give me a chance to. I'll let you know how it goes! But anyway, 39.1gr of N140 seems to be the sweet spot for my rifle (Steyy-Mannlicher classic fullstock with a 20" barrel).

Have you got a good hard round in 7mm with minimum expansion in your experience Muir?

The Sierra 140gr HPBT GameKing #1912 are a harder bullet than the Sierra soft points. In 7mm-08 I've found them extremely accurate and in the 308 and 243 as well (have proved themselves) so when I load some more of these in 7mm-08 I expect them to be just as good on deer with no more meat damage at higher speeds than the soft points at lower.

At the moment I use Sierra GK soft points (2,750 f/s) and as long as you don't try and push them at ridiculous speeds they work very well. If you want speed then that's when the harder Sierra GK HPBT bullet may be better. Having said that I'll still keep the HPBT under 2,800 f/s.

Tougher 7mm bullets:

Sierra 160-gr GK HPBT is tougher than the GK SPBT, designed for the .280 Rem, 7x64, and 7mm magnums.

Speer 160-gr Grand Slam, semi spitzer, made for big bears, boar, elk, African antelope.
Swift 160-gr A-Frame, same as above.

In the 140-gr, Hornady 139-gr flat base Interlock, Sierra GK HPBT, Barnes TSX.

Hornady 154-gr RN ( discontinued, I am hoarding for my 7x57R).

A really good bullet which I have only recently started loading is the Speer 145-gr BTSP HotCor. Lots of people have great accuracy, expansion and little weight loss when used at proper ranges, from the 7x57R to the 7mm Rem Mag. I am anxious to try it on deer.

Again, the 120-gr Nosler BT can be driven at 2,800 FPS from a short barrelled 7mm-08, and will give surprising penetration and holding together. It will fully expand at 1,800 fps impact speed, so it is good for mild hunting loads or for longer range.

Last edited:
Back