Family reunion on the pigeons

Has mentioned last week in a previous post I took my dad and grandad out for a days pigeon shooting yesterday.
My dad now lives in East Sussex so hasn't shot alongside his dad for a while and after me taking my grandad out for a day last week and shooting 68 between us I gave my dad a bell to let him know that there were a few birds about..

Anyway my dad was at mine for 8am we popped to pick my grandad up and were on the road by 8.30am.
We arrived at the farm to see the peas had been cut, there was a few birds on the field I had shot the 68 on last week but nothing to write home about.
After watching a few birds I suggested that they get along the hedge a bit from where I shot the week before.
I helped them both set up and left them to it.
Where we were there was around 150 acres of peas on 4 different fields so I thought I'll watch them for a bit and also see what the birds were doing once they were shot at.
They were getting a bit of sport but a lot of birds were going way way over onto another farm that I don't shoot, I told my dad the birds done this last week too but in the mid to late afternoon they had a change of diet and wanted the peas so the best bet is to sit it out a bit longer has it was only 12.30... (I was thinking I hope I'm right lol)
By about 1 I had noticed a bit of a flight line developing on the next field over to where my dad and grandad were so I got my kit out the truck set up a quick little hide just big enough for me and the dog put a few decoys out along with a flapper and a couple of floaters.
The birds didn't really want to know I knocked a few down flighting over with the odd 1 coming into the decoys.
It was about 3pm now and my dad and grandad were starting to get a few more birds coming in has was I, has the afternoon went on we all started to get more and more shooting and was turning into a nice afternoon after a slow morning.
We pack up at 6pm I picked 37 and a crow my dad and grandad had picked 33 we all lost a few birds but picked what we could.

Great day all in all and nice to see my dad and grandad alongside 1 another again hope to do it again soon.
mind you my dad did say if he had been on his own he could of double or even trebled there bag I said your be old 1 day just like grandad!!! Lol

Last edited:
Has mentioned last week in a previous post I took my dad and grandad out for a days pigeon shooting yesterday.
My dad now lives in East Sussex so hasn't shot alongside his dad for a while and after me taking my grandad out for a day last week and shooting 68 between us I gave my dad a bell to let him know that there were a few birds about..

Anyway my dad was at mine for 8am we popped to pick my grandad up and were on the road by 8.30am.
We arrived at the farm to see the peas had been cut, there was a few birds on the field I had shot the 68 on last week but nothing to write home about.
After watching a few birds I suggested that they get along the hedge a bit from where I shot the week before.
I helped them both set up and left them to it.
Where we were there was around 150 acres of peas on 4 different fields so I thought I'll watch them for a bit and also see what the birds were doing once they were shot at.
They were getting a bit of sport but a lot of birds were going way way over onto another farm that I don't shoot, I told my dad the birds done this last week too but in the mid to late afternoon they had a change of diet and wanted the peas so the best bet is to sit it out a bit longer has it was only 12.30... (I was thinking I hope I'm right lol)
By about 1 I had noticed a bit of a flight line developing on the next field over to where my dad and grandad were so I got my kit out the truck set up a quick little hide just big enough for me and the dog put a few decoys out along with a flapper and a couple of floaters.
The birds didn't really want to know I knocked a few down flighting over with the odd 1 coming into the decoys.
It was about 3pm now and my dad and grandad were starting to get a few more birds coming in has was I, has the afternoon went on we all started to get more and more shooting and was turning into a nice afternoon after a slow morning.
We pack up at 6pm I picked 37 and a crow my dad and grandad had picked 33 we all lost a few birds but picked what we could.

Grate day all in all and nice to see my dad and grandad alongside 1 another again hope to do it again soon.
mind you my dad did say if he had been on his own he could of double or even trebled there bag I said your be old 1 day just like grandad!!! Lol

Been waiting for your post........nice write up! Any (team pigeon) pictures?

Tim.243

Great and heartwarming read Gunner, very special for three generations of the family to all be out together.

Well Done Aaron, Good to hear you are getting some sport and great to be shooting with your Grandad, Robin rang the other evening saying he just had his best day ever shooting over peas. very hot and dry here in france, Boar shooting starts in about three weeks so i hope to get a couple of days in before heading home
Cheers Geoff

Well Done Aaron, Good to hear you are getting some sport and great to be shooting with your Grandad, Robin rang the other evening saying he just had his best day ever shooting over peas. very hot and dry here in france, Boar shooting starts in about three weeks so i hope to get a couple of days in before heading home
Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff
Thanks,
yes there's a few birds around at the moment that's for sure.
I hope you manage to get a boar or 2.

when you get home could you send me any dates you have left for this season please mate.

cheers Aaron

Back