Boyds gunstocks

Love my boyds stock had to replace the rubbish hogue on the howa so picked a boyds as the replacement, dropped straight in, and made my grouping tighter

I bought a Boyds thumbhole for a Ruger 10/22, and fitted my Tikka T3 lite into it and its great.

Was this a straight drop in or was fettling needed for the action to fit the inlet? I'm after one for my T3 Lite in .243 but can't get their converter thing to work to see if any of the existing stocks will fit my rifle.

Was this a straight drop in or was fettling needed for the action to fit the inlet? I'm after one for my T3 Lite in .243 but can't get their converter thing to work to see if any of the existing stocks will fit my rifle.

No the actions are quite different. A fair amount of inletting and alteration would be required, basically you would only be left with the external shape of the stock. It would take someone with a lot more skill and patience than me to do so.

The T3 action is approx 2mm thinner than the ruger,so i measured the T3 action then wire cut a billet of ali to the profile of the T3 then lett it into the Ruger stock, its not that hard to do if you have an engineering background im just waiting for a Roedale bottom metal to arrive to finish the project off.
Iwill try to put some pics on here,you do take a bit of the stock away internally but as the ruger is 33mm wide so all your doing is extending the slot in the ruger stock.

You've done a nice job there Gunner.

I was looking at a Boyd stock the other day to replace the synthetic stock on my short action A-Bolt. Then I took it to the range to develop some loads and found a load that put all three shots into a single hole. This was witnessed by three other SD members who were present. I thought what the hell I can't improve on that so put it to the bottom of my wish list.

Does anyone know if the action on the Tikka T3 is based on a Sako Mauser action?

Reason I ask is that Boyds don't do a stock for a Tikka but they only do one for a Sako with Mauser action. From the picture it looks the same as the T3 but could be different and would be a ball ache to fit.

I have ordered a Boyds stock, just waiting for it to arrive, can't wait to get it fitted. :D

I finally got my Boyds thumbhole stock and have fitted it to my Ruger M77 Mk II rifle, I think that it looks great. Only took 10 minutes to fit the barrel and action to the stock, they went together like a hand into a glove. I took it out yesterday and checked the zero, it was just off to the right by about an inch, four clicks to the left and it was back on centre. I was hoping to go out today and see if I could bag a Roe Buck, but the weather is really bad this morning, perhaps it will brighten up later?????

The stock cost me $99.00 plus $68.55 shipping and packing (total $167.55), which translated in to £109.96 by the time the transaction hit my bank account. The package was sent via the US Postal Service (USPS), which allowed me to track its’ progress all the way to our local Parcelforce depot who issued me with a bill for £27.73. That was made up of £19.73 VAT and a £8 Parcelforce handling charge. Because the total landed value of the item ($99 = £63.97) and the shipping ($50.34 = £32.53) came to a total of £96.50, it was below the £135 limit above which import duty becomes payable (Rifle stocks attract a duty rate of 2.7%). Consequently, I only had to pay 20% VAT on the item and the shipping costs (the VAT man likes to get more than just his slice of the pie). Hence, £19.73 on $99 (stock) and $50.43 (shipping), I verified the amount of VAT and Duty payable by using the website www.dutycalculator.com, it was really easy to use, but the amounts were slightly different due to slightly different exchange rates used.

First impressions of the stock make the ordering and import process worth the wait (it took 16 days in total) and if using the rifle/stock is as easy as the zeroing was, then I know that I am going to enjoy using my revamped rifle. Odds on, I will get another one to go on my CZ .17HMR.

I have attached a photograph so that you can see the finished article.

Ruger M77 MkII & Boyds Stock 01.JPG

looking at a boyds stock, varmint thumbhole for my Tikka T3 varmint. my question is - as my barrel is a varmint barrel and the boyds site states 'bull barrel' for my rifle - is this the correct one for my barrel size.

Any help greatly appreciated

JD

looking at a boyds stock, varmint thumbhole for my Tikka T3 varmint. my question is - as my barrel is a varmint barrel and the boyds site states 'bull barrel' for my rifle - is this the correct one for my barrel size.

Any help greatly appreciated

JD

I'm pretty sure their "bull-barrel" varmint laminated thumbhole is what I fitted to my T3 Varmint.

OK thanks, got one ordered - nutmeg colour. How did you find yours? Did you need to do anything with the recoil lug?

There's a post of mine somewhere showing what I did. I have Boyd's on my Tikka T3 and Howa 1500. Happy with both but although they did fit out-of-the-box, I re-inlet mine and bedded them.

Here it is!

And here, when I first got the T3 stock.

Last edited:
There's a post of mine somewhere showing what I did. I have Boyd's on my Tikka T3 and Howa 1500. Happy with both but although they did fit out-of-the-box, I re-inlet mine and bedded them.

Here it is!

And here, when I first got the T3 stock.

It's a tidy stock. Never done a bedding job before and will probably take it to my local RFD if it needs it...or have a go myself. Pretty sure there's a YouTube vid showing how its done!
Did you do any refinishing or was it pretty good as? Thought I might run it for a while then sand the whole thing down and refinish it.

Back