2.5-10x42 Scope

shooternz

Hi, I have just become the proud owner of a Sako 75 Hunter in 7mm-08 want to keep it European with the scope a 2.5-10x42 tickles my fancy I have a Khales 3-12x56 but it's all together too large and I would
have to remove the rear sight which I will not do, I don't mind a pre-loved scope, what would you gentlemen recommend the mounts will be Optilocks unless you can recommend another brand,
I have a Leupold 12x on at present while doing load development it actually looks quite a good fit, Cheers Robert.

I've got a Sako 75 hunter & have recently put a Swarovski 1.7-10x42 (non-illuminated) on it & think it's fantastic. I'm not a fan of the look of the illuminated ones. It probably sits at x4 most of the time when I'm out but both extremes are great to have.

It's a short & comparatively light scope. The shortness of the tube could be a problem as it doesn't allow much adjustment of the scope position & the scope has slightly longer eye relief than the S&B 6x42 I had previously. I have long arms & neck so tend to need scopes mounted reasonably far forward, even though I've extended the l.o.p. to 16". It's mounted on extra-low optilocks at present but I'm considering switching as I would like to be able to nudge the scope forward by a few mils but the eyepiece fouls the optilock base. I could, of course, mount it higher but to my mind that rather defeats the point of having a scope like this.

Hope that helps.

1" tubed 3-9x36 zeiss or Swarovski in the lowest mounts you can get. I just learned the leupold ring mounts are even lower than the extra low opti's. You only need more mag than that if you are shooting 1000yds or more, and the small light scope will look right and feel right for what you are trying to achieve

Have a look at the Minox ZA5 HD 2-10x40. Considering one myself also for a rifle with a foresight. Reasonably priced as well.

Possibly the nicest scope we looked through at the last IWA was the newer Meopta R2 1.7-10x42. I'm just saving up for one.
edi

Possibly the nicest scope we looked through at the last IWA was the newer Meopta R2 1.7-10x42. I'm just saving up for one.
edi

Saw those on line. About £750 from Germany with current exchange rates.

Thinking seriously of buying one.

I looked at a couple of Minox scopes and was not impressed.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I had a look at a Minox on a friends rifle while I did some load development for him definitely not on my short list, saving up for Zeiss Swaro or Khales may be an S&B,
people are always upgrading around here you never know that will turn up on the second hand market, Any opinions on Doctor scopes I have a good working[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]relationship the local importer could get a good deal
but I don't know anything about them,
Robert.

Rob,

what type of shooting will you be doing, open hill, mountains, woods, what distances typically, and how much game species range do you need ie. boar to stags, etc.

I've a mate in Perthshire/invernesshire who's had Meopta on a .270 that's on its second barrel! Never moves, great glass and the right money, saw them at the shooting show this year and was greatly impressed by the scopes and bino's, would buy one in a heart beat even though I'm a Swarovski man at heart, can't beat their value imho.

Meopta are great scopes, and probably binoculars. I've told the story before. Once compared a 42 mm Swaro against a 7x50 Meopta. I did this with a friend in the eveneing. The Meopta gave us 10/15 min longer shooting. Better in low light. No need to pay more.

Rob,

what type of shooting will you be doing, open hill, mountains, woods, what distances typically, and how much game species range do you need ie. boar to stags, etc.
PKL,
Main use will be silhouette shooting I have a Leupold 12X for that, hunting will be Sika and Fallow a Red could be on the cards, terrain is bush with small clearings Fallow hunting is on farms
I have a 9.3x62 if the chance of a big Red or Boar hunt comes up,
The use of Opitock ring mounts should insure the zero doesn't move when changing scopes I had a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 with that set up removing and replacing the scope stayed zeroed.
Robert.

Be sure to use some Loctite on base/ring screw in the optilocks, especially if you're taking the whole setup off the rifle (bases could get knocked which gives great leverage and may start them unwinding).

Hi, I have just become the proud owner of a Sako 75 Hunter in 7mm-08 want to keep it European with the scope a 2.5-10x42 tickles my fancy I have a Khales 3-12x56 but it's all together too large and I would
have to remove the rear sight which I will not do, I don't mind a pre-loved scope, what would you gentlemen recommend the mounts will be Optilocks unless you can recommend another brand,
I have a Leupold 12x on at present while doing load development it actually looks quite a good fit, Cheers Robert.
Meopta 3-9x42 Artemis 2000.

nothing against meoptas infact im a bit of a fan but if your budget can be pushed to it i would recomend a ziess 2.5-10x50 victory diavari i have one on my sako 85 and it rreally is a fantastic peice of kit and altho i wouldnt say the build quality between the ziess and meopta was much differnt, opticaly the ziess beats the meopta

I looked at a couple of Minox scopes and was not impressed.

Brian, the difference between the R2 and R1 range is very noticeable. I was thinking of a 1.5-6x42 meopta before going to the show but after looking through the two I am sure the extra is worth it. Also the illumination adjuster is in my opinion so much better than Leica/Swaro/Zeiss. At the same money I would still choose the meopta. Took my time at the Minox stand because I know a guy working there, they are not quite at the races yet.
edi

I have a Meopta 2.5x10 x 44, 1" tube with illuminated 4a reticule very impressed with it great value for the money think I paid $750 for it.

I have a Meopta 2.5x10 x 44, 1" tube with illuminated 4a reticule very impressed with it great value for the money think I paid $750 for it.

That sounds like a real good price, I have only looked through 1 Meopta a 7x50 was quite impressed, I do have a Meopta enlarger that is a nice bit of kit, don't see many Meopta scopes down here
would probable have to import one.
Robert.

The other option I had considered was a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36, light, compact for mounting low with the foresight and probably as much scope as you generally need.

Sako308,
I have been looking at the 3-9 range of scopes available you are probably right, a bit cheaper than the 2.5-10 not really anything in it for a hunting scope I won't be shooting long range with it,
under 250 metres, most shots where I have been hunting is 20m-50m with the odd few at about 80m,
Robert.

Back