How many SD members are registered as a food Business?

Are you registered as a food business

• Total voters

PointBlank

How many of you have taken the steps to register as a food business?

This is not a troublemaking or loaded question but pure curiosity while I weigh up if it is worth it. :confused:

I intend on doing so when i get sorted with a new house.. Although it really depends on the costs. Either way i intend on having a walk in larder/prep area..

I intend on doing so when i get sorted with a new house.. Although it really depends on the costs. Either way i intend on having a walk in larder/prep area..
The trouble is with that scenario I think you would be liable for business rates if it is a dedicated area, I may be wrong though.

I'm registered as a venison dealer but not as a food business so I cant vote any of them. Reason being it was not a necessary step from the council.

Everyone of them selling deer to a game dealer unless of course they are law breakers (I hope their FEO doesn't find out). :stir:

Your poll should read:
Yes, all carcasses go to the game dealer, as it is a legal requirement to be a registered food business to sell them to the dealer!;)
MS

Oh, and yes I am!

Everyone of them selling deer to a game dealer unless of course they are law breakers (I hope their FEO doesn't find out). :stir:

Your poll should read:
Yes, all carcasses go to the game dealer, as it is a legal requirement to be a registered food business to sell them to the dealer!;)
MS

Oh, and yes I am!

I realised that as soon as I posted the poll but thought it was appropriate as it was. ;) I think we can all be pretty sure that bit is normally ignored by most people.

I am quite certain that you are mistaken.

As a Trained Hunter I may sell them (in the fur) to whomsoever I please. Without any more paperwork than my tag, and record book.

As for family and friends, if they choose to buy or be gifted a carcasse that I have shot (or been a member of the "hunting party" when it was shot), in the fur obviously, then once it is their property I am very willing to assist them in the skinning and butchery, perhaps even giving them an impromptu lesson in which they may not even get their hands dirty, nor even be present for the entire process ;)

If they in turn decided to distribute some of their venison that was surplus to their requirements to other mutual friends, that would be their business.

So why would I need to register as a food business ? And why would an FEO take any interest in such arrangements ?

Last edited:
Your poll should read:
MS

No its not, if you are a Trained Hunter.

Disregard the above, I was wrong. PS is there any way of showing a striking-out format.

Sharpie

Last edited:
The trouble is with that scenario I think you would be liable for business rates if it is a dedicated area, I may be wrong though.

And other things like extra insurance, capital gains tax on a proportion of the property value when sold, etc. etc.

See HM Revenue Customs: Capital Gains Tax relief on your own home in particular the section "using your home for business purposes".

E.g. I use my spare bedroom as an office (self employed). If it didn't still have a bed in it, I might be on dodgy ground.

i am registered but not because im a business ...im . not...just a private individual

there was a guy on here i think couple years ago or so put a post up... ( he may re-post ) saying he had the council round investigating him, he had a chiller in his garage along with a freezer and he processed his own beast for himself and family...as alot of us on here do.....he had trouble with his neighbours so basically the reported him to the council saying he was selling meat from his garage ...trying to land him in it.....
the poster of the thread posted saying for those that had a chiller contact your council and tell them so that should same happen to anyone else they know you have a chiller but for personal consumption etc

i did contact my council ( Angus Council) and the guy was very helpful and suggested yes be registered but noted it for persdonal consumption only....that way should i be reported they already have me on file and for what reasons....and as the council guy said....making it easier to prove the case iw ouldnt be selling anything illegally as i had nowt to hide.

maybe every couple of years get a questionaire in..with heap of questions regarding food business....i answer most as "n/a" and note on bottom stating chiller for meat hygeine and personal consumption of stalked beasts....and never had any problems or anything with council etc.

paul

No its not, if you are a Trained Hunter. Which you would have to be anyway to sell to a dealer, whether a registered food business or not. Unless you were going to deliver them complete with head and pluck etc, which I doubt they would thank you for.

Nor anywhere else in UK.

I'm surprised the council wasn't interested, things must be different in Scotland.

Food Standards Agency - Starting a food business

Sharpie

You clearly know nothing about the Wild Game Meat Regs

In England Wales or Scotland if selling to a game dealer you have to be registered as a food business.

I don't have time to look it up but in the Food Standards agency flow chart it's about the 3rd decision box down.

Last edited:
Sharpie, you need to get your facts straight mate!
See box 3 on page 4 here:
http://food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide0611.pdf
Scotland is different and use a VDL system.
Box 3 states:
3 Do you shoot alone or arrange shoots with/for others to supply game
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]in fur or in feather [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]to an approved game handling establishment (AGHE?)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Yes
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

1. [*]You need to be registered with your Local Authority as a food business and to comply with general hygiene requirements for primary production and associated operations (this includes any vehicles you use when you are supplying an AGHE and your game larder if you use it to store game before it goes to an AGHE);

Any carcases taken to/picked up by an AGHE must have undergone a ‘trained person’ initial examination with (for large wild game) a numbered declaration attached;

A bit of clarification:

The food safety Act 1980 does state the following:

"Anyone 'supplying' food into the food chain is now classified as a "food Business". In general, any person who deal in game I.e. buys game to sell or sells game to another business which trades with any other person except the the final customer requires to be licensed as an Approved game Handling Establishment (AGHE). Hunters and food businesses who supply " small quantities of game locally direct to the final customer or to a retail outlet only supplying the final customer" must be registered as a food businesses but are exempt from these licensing requirements"

However as in most thing in Britian there are several other later reg and sub section which void a lot of the above for this argument.

Food hygiene (England) Regulations 2005, Scotland (2005) and Northern Ireland (2005) (from the DS1 book 2013)

These new Uk regulations translate the EU food hygiene regulations into UK law and REPLACE the previous General Food Hygiene and Wild Game Meat Regulations and many other subsidiary food regulations made under the Food Act 1990.

The regulation is RC Regulation 852/2004(H1)

and it gives these following EXEMPTIONS:

The regulation does not apply to:

Primary production for private domestic use
The domestic preparation, handling or storage of food for private domestic consumption
The direct supply, buy the producer of small quantities of primary products to the final customer or to local retail establishment directly supplying the final consumer (Note: Scottish law still currently requires that the sale of any venison to be covered by a Venision Dealers Licence.)

H1 and H2 do not apply to the supply of game under certain circumstances:

For domestic consumption

By hunters/members of the party or a trained person who was at the shoot

Small quantities (not defined but currently taken as 300 deer)

Primary product (un-skinned or un-plucked)

Locally (within the county or 50km radius)

Directly (without game dealer)

To the final consumer

Or to a a retail establishment supply the final consumer (butchers or restaurant not a catering supplier - however anything involving sale is subject to UK game dealing laws).

Basically saying if you sell it but under the exemptions you do need to be registered food business but not licensed as a AGHE.
Scotland if cash swaps hands you need a venison dealer licence.

The food business registration and the licensing of AGHE and reg are 2 separate things

Back