Scope for boar hunting

Virbius

I'm looking for a scope for boar hunting, hopefully I will be able to find a 1.1-4x24 S&B which is my preference, if not will probably be Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24. Is it better to go for the extended eye relief if I opt for the Swarovski? It will be mounted on a .308.

I'm looking for a scope for boar hunting, hopefully I will be able to find a 1.1-4x24 S&B which is my preference, if not will probably be Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24. Is it better to go for the extended eye relief if I opt for the Swarovski? It will be mounted on a .308.

You will be shooting with both eyes open. Extended eye relief isn't an issue. You won't be scoping.

Stan

Depends where you are. (and your eyesight/age etc) Scope can be good in low light or if you have older eyes (like me)

Also I find that when shooting from a high seat the eyepiece is nearer to my eye and therefore is more likely to "scope me.

Last thing I want with a double rifle is to get "scoped" and drop the rifle so it shoots be up the ar.e with the second barrel

I add a slip on recoil pad for the seat. It just extends the eye relief a bit.

I shoot with both eyes open anyway whether scope or irons :)

Ade

Thanks. Having done a bit of research, I'm considering something along the lines of an Aimpoint rather than a traditional scope. Any thoughts?

Thanks. Having done a bit of research, I'm considering something along the lines of an Aimpoint rather than a traditional scope. Any thoughts?

Virbius,

I use both my 1.4 - 6 x 24 or Aimpoint HR1.

Both used with both eyes open. The scope I keep on minimum magnification and only ramp up if the occasion permits over 40 metre shooting. You don't worry too much about the crosshairs when you have an IR. Swing through. Yes, the barrel appears in view but you just look at the red dot and go with it.

End result is the same, use like a shotgun....

Stan

Having used both several times my personal preference for driven shooting is the Aimpoint which was borrowed. If you also want to use the scope for other stuff (highseat/woodland stalking) then the variable option may suit better.

I was in the same position and couldn't justify an aimpoint as I would only use it for two trips a year at most so opted for a 2.5-15x56 which should cover all bases and save re zeroing after swaps as ammo is cheaper than Apel mounts!!

2.5 mag is probably the absolute max you want to go to for driven. The best thing would be to try and got a shot of both to make your own mind up, I'm sure one of the SD collective will be able to help out ;).

been down the route of red dot scopes and gone back to variable illuminated scopes, the red dot on illuminated offerings like zeiss conquest starting at 2-3x for example is ideal for driven but is a better option for waiting houses in the evening with top clarity if you have the option in your package. The dot is the important bit and if the pigs were always close and running the aimpoint style would be best but many pigs are a bit further out and trotting through and will stop for a look and listen every so often so a bit of mag really helps

Driven boar, Aimpoint . When you compare the price of a quality site like the aimpoint to a quality scope the aimpoint is very cheap. I used to use my big S&B flashdot for all my shooting but now only use the S&B for sitting out at night for boar.
Its only when you use a sight like an Aimpoint or the 1- 4 x 24 type scopes it makes you realise how badly balanced and top heavy a rifle becomes when mounted with the modern monster scopes. The big scopes with illuminated reticle do come into there own for sitting out for boar at night.

Driven boar, Aimpoint . When you compare the price of a quality site like the aimpoint to a quality scope the aimpoint is very cheap. I used to use my big S&B flashdot for all my shooting but now only use the S&B for sitting out at night for boar.
Its only when you use a sight like an Aimpoint or the 1- 4 x 24 type scopes it makes you realise how badly balanced and top heavy a rifle becomes when mounted with the modern monster scopes. The big scopes with illuminated reticle do come into there own for sitting out for boar at night.

Interesting you should say this. I have just replaced the 1.5-6x42 S&B with an Aimpoint H1 (2 moa) red dot on my Sako bolt action and find that the gun swings and feels much better and that consequently my shots are "on" and getting taken that little bit sooner.

I use a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24. It has a huge Field of View and far greater FOV than some of my other red dot scopes from Aimpoint (Micros), Eotech and Zeiss, both the Compact and Z Point. I had a look through a Magnus 1-6.3x2 which also has a great FOV. I use the Zeiss Z Point for practise on a .222 Rem as its cheap to feed. I haven't tried the hunting scopes from Aimpoint but I can imagine that they are very good.

I have the version with the Extended Eye relief and I would recommend it very highly. Why? The extended eye relief keeps your eye out of harms way when using heavier recoiling rifles.

Last edited:
Well, I've got a Swarovski 1,25-4x24 with CD illuminated reticle with the rail mount from Macleods of Tain at a great price - exactly what I was looking for in the end. It is light and I can swing the rifle effortlessly - well it feels good practicing the swing in the bedroom! Less than a month to go now so hopefully I will bag a boar or two!

I use Swarovski 1-6x24 (Z6i) , both for driven hunts as well as baiting.

It is good enough also for shooting at very close distances. I shot a boar at 225m and then 300m , my scope is zeroed at 150m

Just to add my (not hugely experienced) answer was the relatively new Leupold 2-7 x 33 VXR. Aluminium tube, lightweight and good optics. I have found the red dot really intuitive and balance fine, and more cost effective... It's a thought.
Ron

Just returned from my first trip on driven Boar and found the Leupold VXR 1.25-4x20 to be very effective. Cost me £320.OO Inc tax and postage from West Lakes USA on ebay. Think they are £600 ish in UK. For someone trying driven boar for the first time I personally wouldn't splash out on the top end stuff. Not sure of the low light quality but perfectly clear and bright in the day with a very good ret.

Back