Binoculars - what magnification?

What magnification

• Total voters
Thanks everyone who has voted. 14 votes but 81 views so far - am I to assume that the majority don't use binoculars? ;)
Maybe if you have no preference, just vote for what you use and if you are thinking of changing to something else add a comment?
I have posted this on a couple of other sites, so after a week I'' collate the totals and post here....

Jabalihunter

I use 8.5X for the UK, but when mountain hunting my mate had 10X and in this environment this power proved to be superior.

ATB

Tahr

Im happy using 8 mag for FOV and light. If I find a pair of 10x40 leicas in my price range i might be tempted to change though

I used to have Swaro SLC 7x50 and they were fantastic low light but very large and weighty round the neck i did compaired them a few years ago at night with a set of 8.5 x 42 El's and 8x40 zeiss victory and the 7x50 were brightest at low light. I now have new 10x42 SLC and find these to be great for stalking as very small and light weight but think the 7x50 slc were perfect for very first and last light as they definatly had the edge.

7x42slc for woodland stalking, depth of field better than with 8.5x42 els so less need to constantly twiddle with focus

7x42slc for woodland stalking, depth of field better than with 8.5x42 els so less need to constantly twiddle with focus
That's the reason I bought a pair of Bushnell 10x50 permafocus, I was in currys buying a printer when I was drawn to the Bushnell display... it was between these and the H20 one's but I was swayed by the clarity and field of view from the permafocus range and the lack of a focus wheel is a bonus. They actually do work too, at distances from 15yds to infinity :cool: ....I know, I couldn't believe it either.

8X42 for my Minox bino's - because it was a gift ;) anyway, the mag is perfect for roe stalking on mixed ground, and does the job well in the highlands, although I've previously used a 10X50 on the hill, which is ace for spotting reds in the distance.

think the objective lens size is as if not more important than maginification.
I went 8x42 but would probably have prefered some 8x50

As promised, total results over this and 2 other (non-UK) forums, so far 160 votes:
7x - 11%
8x - 45%
8.5x - 13%
10x - 28%
12x - 1%
Other - 1%

Last edited:

I have a pair of 9 x63 binos that as you say don't have a great deal of depth of field when used in close woodland but are very good over open ground.

These are really interesting results and not what I expected!
It seems 2/3 people here on SD opted for 8/8.5x magnification.
Personally, I would not pick 10x42 again (I know I would prefer a bigger exit pupil); but I have a dilemma over dropping power to 8/8.5x42 and gaining a larger field of view, or staying with 10x and the larger image/greater detail and higher twilight factor e.g. a 10x50....

Last edited:
Back