woodcock

Timney

Anybody seeing many? A few on the ground round my area but not in massive numbers but I reckon this harder weather this week and the full moon will make all the difference.

Shot my first of the season on Friday evening, there's been plenty down here in Cornwall since a few weeks ago. Hopefully more on the way ! :cool:

iv shot 50 as of today since the start of november.lifted 20 today in 2 hours over gsps in plation.this weekend should see an other fall of them

iv shot 50 as of today since the start of november.lifted 20 today in 2 hours over gsps in plation.this weekend should see an other fall of them
Its a clear moonlit night here tonight with a good frost so I think this'll get em moving. I've not had a chance to flight them in the morning yet, but apparently some good numbers were seen this morning, although not a lot could be said about the number shot, lol . That's what makes them so magical. I picked up a brace at the weekend walking up with the dog, and seen about ten all told in less than a couple hours (I wont say how many I missed :doh:).

Woodcock are now showing up on our shoot in Yorkshire.
I went on our annual trip to Scotland (Ross-shire) in mid November, there were more woodcock this year than I have been seen for a good few years.

I have one wood where there are quite a few, I tend to leave them alone, as I don't want to spook the deer to often.
The syndicate ground I belong to often has them so I shoot at them on that.

Thermal is excellent tool for spotting them, I have seen quite a few on waterlogged stubbles, not many last night which was a surprise as cold and v bright and NW wind.

D

I have only seen a few on the shoots i pickup on but we havnt really started shooting the woods yet. Ground is certainly soft enough for them though. We had plenty of northerlys and with the moon being full we should pick up a few more. Saw a Manx shearwater on the estuary last week - he is about 200 miles south off course.!

Back