Another .204 mod question

Woodlander

Advice on choice of moderator for .204,with heavy barrel,needed.
Would a calibre specific mod be the way to go,or would one up to .25 cal do just as good a job?
Also,was originally looking at ASE SL5 or Northstar. Now I was reading a thread on here,that the SL5 was causing quite a heat haze,now I have noticed this with my Northstar,also. Any suggestions on a good,quiet,stainless mod that hopefully won't give off such a heat haze,weight not too much of a problem. Thanks

never had any issues with my sl5 s5 or ase jet z, Re: Heat haze,

anyway the the smaller the hole in the mod (calibre specific ) the better it should be, but not having done tests for some years I can not say this with 100% knowledge,

but what did find years back was that the larger calibre made so much more noise than the smaller cf rifles it's hard to notice unless you have boat load of test gear,

as for another mod to put into the frame,

pez full stainless over barrel mod and get the bushless one so it does not mark your nice new barrel,

best of luck

bob.

Thanks Bob. I'd heard a calibre specific mod may be more effective. Any thoughts on the Jet Z CQB/DM80/Hardy Gen4 or Onelesscharlie? Want to get it right first time.

Thanks Bob. I'd heard a calibre specific mod may be more effective. Any thoughts on the Jet Z CQB/DM80/Hardy Gen4 or Onelesscharlie? Want to get it right first time.

ok ok here we go,

ase cqb I use one on my sako, built to last and a great mod.
ase sl5 223 I use this on my new 20 tac superb and lighter.
gen 4, lot of money for a mod I don't know to much about, but heard good things
dm80, I have known Dave for years and he does build great simple mods but I have only ever had 1 cf mod and it was great,
pez if you look at my photos diary you will see my sako came with one, but I sold it on, great mod a tad to much for me and not cal specific but it was a 223 to 308 so not the best,
one shot Charlie, look great and the test videos show they are well made, but never seen one on real life,

thats is about it for me big man.

bob.

ps I'm collecting a 204 aimzonic on Sunday, just the make the front end of my NV set up a tad lighter to use, I will report back on its performance ?

Last edited:
I have a new wildcat on mine and its very good, infact now one moddy and fits 3 rifles with suitable rear bushes and bridging piece. Great bit of kit.

D

Thanks D. Will add that to my list to check out. No gunshops on the islands,so can't get to look at/get the feel of,so am relying on other folks experience,which is no bad thing in itself.

Thanks D. Will add that to my list to check out. No gunshops on the islands,so can't get to look at/get the feel of,so am relying on other folks experience,which is no bad thing in itself.

Woodlander - how do you get hold of bits for which you need a 'face to face' transaction? Do you travel south to the mainland? I know there used to be a RFD on Orkney but that probably isn't any easier to get to and I think they're gone now anyway.

Last edited:
out tonight with the new Aimzonic, that it replacing the sl5 in 223.

i will let you know how it goes, it feels lighter than the sl and it should and makes the NV set up feel a tad easier to move around.

bob

Leadwasp-there are a couple of RFDs on Shetland,so everything is done RFD-RFD,so can get very expensive. No way to try things out,so SD is such a great place to learn from everyone's experience and hopefully not make an expensive mistake. I tend to research a lot,but still make mistakes. I'm hoping to make a trip south soon and get some supplies. I once had to buy 2'tubs of Vit N 130 for £100 each! Think I paid the hazmat charge for his entire order,won't be going to him again. My usual guy is great though,doesn't charge for paperwork and his pricing is as competitive as anywhere South,just not a grey deal of choice. Don't think he'll stock bullets for the .204.

well tried the new mod out today Aimzonic,

cracking on the 204 and works very very well, sounds about the same as the sl5 I have in 223. so it's staying,

off out out foxing now,so,catch you all later.

bob.

I have a DM80 on a Tikka super varmint 204 and it does exactly what it needs to.
I run 39 sierra bk with 28.1 grs V140 and the outfit is good.

Back