Double hatted rifles

Wilf102

I have a t3 Lite in 308 which quite happily puts out thumbnail groups with Sako 123. The problem is that after 3 rounds the barrel is so hot that the heat haze means thou can't really see the target through the scope. Waiting for the thing to cool down is a PITA.

I am looking for a rifle to double hat use on the range and on deer. Being a cheapskate that appeals to me, but the 223 ammo works out pretty cheap if you use militarily ball. I've seen it at £23 for 100 rounds. And I like my t3 Lite 308. Another t3 Lite in 223 would be good, but I am concerned that the barrel will heat up in the same way as the 308. Does it?

So….308 heavy barrel for the range and possibly deer? Thinking of a T3 Varmint or TAC? 223 Lite or heavy barrel? Or just find a Lee Enfield 303 and blast away with that? Or get another 308 for the range….decision,decisions...

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Yes I know there is a No4(T) for sale in Fultons at Bisley, but that is way out of my price league!

I have a t3 Lite in 308 which quite happily puts out thumbnail groups with Sako 123. The problem is that after 3 rounds the barrel is so hot that the heat haze means thou can't really see the target through the scope. Waiting for the thing to cool down is a PITA.

I am looking for a rifle to double hat use on the range and on deer. Being a cheapskate that appeals to me, but the 223 ammo works out pretty cheap if you use militarily ball. I've seen it at £23 for 100 rounds. And I like my t3 Lite 308. Another t3 Lite in 223 would be good, but I am concerned that the barrel will heat up in the same way as the 308. Does it?

So….308 heavy barrel for the range and possibly deer? Thinking of a T3 Varmint or TAC? 223 Lite or heavy barrel? Or just find a Lee Enfield 303 and blast away with that? Or get another 308 for the range….decision,decisions...

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Yes I know there is a No4(T) for sale in Fultons at Bisley, but that is way out of my price league!

This past September I shot my T-3 Lite 7mm-08 til it was flesh burning hot and kept going. The grouping didn't change. Remember: Heavy barrels get exposed to the same heat as light barrels. It just takes longer for you to feel it.:D If the grouping doesn't go to pot,just keep your fingers off the metal and carry on.

That said, on the range just take a break. For deer?? it's a lucky man that can heat up his T-3 shooting deer. ~Muir

why over use your stalking rifle for range work yup it will do the job me i'v got a few so the sako only is used for stalking and thats why iam up at silly oclock for a 4hr drive to hungerford :doh:

why over use your stalking rifle for range work yup it will do the job me i'v got a few so the sako only is used for stalking and thats why iam up at silly oclock for a 4hr drive to hungerford :doh:

Over use one or the other -but it takes a lot of ammo to overuse a hunting rifle. I hear you on the drive. I'm going whitetail hunting tomorrow: eight hours each way. We're all crazy.~Muir

Perhaps a more sensible scope may help.

I have noticed that the large objective high magnification scopes suffer more from mirage than a smaller scope.

Heavy barrel 308 will do everything, did I see that Sportsman were selling off a load of Remmies now Edgar Bros have stopped importing them???

S&B 6x42. And it wasn't a hot day...

Hmmmm interesting. Thank you one could hardly get more "sensible" than that now.

Now I gather the T3 Lite does not have a fore sight? If it did then perhaps a mirage band would be the answer. Not sure how one could be retained without a fore sight though.

Wilf
Are you using a moderator on the range? - If you are you would probably find you'd get less mirage if you shot without it. (Or you could put a cover on it to slow down the heat dissipation)

Ian

Back