DSC1 shooting test and using your own rifle.....here's a question...

DSC trainer

Hello all,

A question came through my DSC training website recently which, at face value, was quite easy to answer. Q? I have just got a 30-06 and am going to do my DSC1, can I use a rifle of this calibre for the test? The easy answer of course is "Yes" because you are expected to be able to shoot using a rifle suited to shooting deer.

But then I thought....and would like your views on this please.....

What if the student has a FAC which is limited to 'land over which you have permission to shoot AND which the Police has approved as suitable to this calibre' . I'm not sure about the actual wording but the meaning is that the holder of a certificate with this limitation must ascertain that the land where they are shooting has been checked over by the Police, and this usually means that they have to ring the Police to find out.

I have contacted my local FAC Officer and she wasn't sure so is checking with her boss, they'd never been asked this before.

Anyone got any experience of this please - especially those conducting the tests?

Cheers,

Steve

It depends where the shooting test is being held I would have thought. It's usually on an approved range isn't it? In which case it would be 'deemed suitable' almost by definition.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, you are right that it would depend on the location, but I wonder how many locations are actually approved ranges and how many are the same as where I did mine last year. It was a great site at Donington in an area at the back of the deer park. It was a very safe location, and actually had deer around in the distance, but it was not (as far as I know) a range approved by the Police.

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

I think the answer is very few - and as seen in another recent thread, becoming a range is fraught with difficulty and bureaucracy. Better to use the 'zeroing/practice' clause of the FAC holders licence. - and then ensure the land is cleared to the necessary level by the course provider - dtudents should not go ringing their local FEO and getting others uninvited visits for land clearance - most regular course providers will have had the land cleared as appropriate - and have some sort of evidence of that to boot. If there is any doubt in the FAC holders mind, they should not shoot their own rifle and use an estate rifle, under the direction of the course provider. (Not that they should be using their oewn rifle NOT under the course providers supervision....!!)

E t R

Hi Alex,

Yes, you are right that it would depend on the location, but I wonder how many locations are actually approved ranges and how many are the same as where I did mine last year. It was a great site at Donington in an area at the back of the deer park. It was a very safe location, and actually had deer around in the distance, but it was not (as far as I know) a range approved by the Police.

Cheers, Steve

If you mean David Stretton's place, we spoke about this and his land is passed. It is approved unto one of the cannons that Mark uses :)

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I thought it wise to raise the subject as many people assume that land is passed but it's always wise to check.

Love your tag line Eric, I still crease when I hear it, and Neil, if Mark#s got the OK for his cannons, then I think the whole of Derbyshire has been passed...just to be safe LOL:rofl:

Cheers, Steve

ok. this also bring up another question. i have an open ticket for my 308. if land is cleared by the police upto .270 can i still use my 308

If you have an open ticket then it is down to you where you use your .308 as long as you have permission to shoot from landowner

ok. this also bring up another question. i have an open ticket for my 308. if land is cleared by the police upto .270 can i still use my 308

This is one of those conundrums that makes the passing of land for specific calibres rather silly.
Are they clearing an energy level or the diameter of the projectile?!

Let me pose another knock-me-down-unanswerable.

I've raised this before under the recent exchanges over the FLD refusal to issue a Muntjac/CWD use on a .22CF (because they don't exist on the 'named land' or stalking area).

In my County, the FLD want a form from the landowner saying which calibre is permitted for what quarry.

So.... if the land is cleared or suitable for any calibre..... but he's authorised the stalker a .22CF for Muntjac/CWD only .... who has an open ticket ... and turns up with a .243 .... is he breaching the Conditions of his FAC?

This should keep everyone busy until bedtime... I hope. :D:D

on a recent enquiry from a remote FEO, verifying his applicant had permission to shoot on the land, he asked for map ref's and then went on to tell me we were OK for up to 408... he said it was on some database!

Let me pose another knock-me-down-unanswerable.

I've raised this before under the recent exchanges over the FLD refusal to issue a Muntjac/CWD use on a .22CF (because they don't exist on the 'named land' or stalking area).

In my County, the FLD want a form from the landowner saying which calibre is permitted for what quarry.

So.... if the land is cleared or suitable for any calibre..... but he's authorised the stalker a .22CF for Muntjac/CWD only .... who has an open ticket ... and turns up with a .243 .... is he breaching the Conditions of his FAC?

This should keep everyone busy until bedtime... I hope. :D:D
Who knows? But what on earth has this got to do with ensuring public safety and crime prevention:cuckoo:

Back