How to clean stainless steel?

longlowdog

O.K not a rifle question but given the depth of knowledge on here I thought I'd give it a go.
My shotgun with stainless action is looking tired after twenty years in the field ( dull and micro scratched). It is hand engraved with shallow pictorial engraving. How can I bring it back to life without compromising the engraving?

A good cleaner for stainless steel is good old WD40 but whether it would bring back 20 years of work is another question.

Lonlowdog.

Give "Peek" a try. Made by Tri Peek International Saffron Waldron Essex. 01799 524 098.

I use it to remove those annoying light scratches my Kyton sheath makes. Good stuff.

Spiker

Would something like autosol take the black from the engraving or was it never meant to be there. The engraving is very shallow rather than deep cut or pressed and almost looks like a sketch rather than a carving.

Would something like autosol take the black from the engraving or was it never meant to be there. The engraving is very shallow rather than deep cut or pressed and almost looks like a sketch rather than a carving.
Any abrasive compound will actually darken the engraving if you polish LIGHTLY, some of the dirt you polish out will get into the engraving and the polished bits will highlight the engraving..if that makes sence.

Polish lighly though.

I use 0000 grade steel wool and Meguiars All Metal Polish.

I can't remember what it's called, but a welding supplies place will have a white paste stuff that
I suppose is mildly acidic, it is meant for removing the heat staining you get when welding stainless steel.
It works very well and is simple to use with no fear of removing detail if it is evenly spread.

Neil. :)

Sometimes erasers work well to polish or clean lightly.
Otherwise I would also be a fan of peek.

edi

Back