Case length trimmers

wilson case trimmer and holder make the most accurate out their ,reloading solutions sell them

wot do use? and why? i'm looking for a trimmer an accurate one at that:eek:
cheers
I have an rcbs trimmer which is only used if i have bulk brass to work through. Agree that lee tooling is superb. cheap. accurate and can be used manually or in a power tool. highly recommended.

I use a Wilson, but for me the lee zip trim with case length guage followed by internal/external neck chamfer is a joy to use.

i use rcbs trimmer and chamfer tool using a cordless screw driver,if i can hit a 4 inch bull at 1000yds and shoot sub 6 inch groups i am sure they would be ok for a stalker range,br shooting needs more percission shooting tools,thats a diff ball game

wot do use? and why? i'm looking for a trimmer an accurate one at that:eek:
cheers

What caliber? What rifle? If it's a standard caliber use the Lee. Dead constant and impossible to get out of adjustment. You will get uniform lengths every time. All of the above are accurate enough for a stalking rifle.~Muir

I have tried a few including Wilson RCBS Redding Qwik Vase Trimmer Best Trimmer in the world, and after all that I went back to Lee with a Ball Handled Cutter and Battery Drill as I could not find anything as quick and consistant in my opinion the Lee is excellent value for money

What caliber? What rifle? If it's a standard caliber use the Lee. Dead constant and impossible to get out of adjustment. You will get uniform lengths every time. All of the above are accurate enough for a stalking rifle.~Muir

will be using on 6.5x47 223 and 308
Lee dont do a case length guage in 6.5x47 so thats out of the question, i have been using lee for the 223 and 308 with good results

Last edited:
If it were me I would still go with Lee get the 223 308 and a 6.5 carcano then get the 6.5 Carcano turned 5mm shorter in a lathe and then you will have 6.5x47 Lee case length trimmer.

Other option for the 6.5 x 47 is a Qwick Case Trimmer from Possum Hollow if they do one.

Wilson trimmer for doing limited accurate loads like for stalking, but the Lee trimmer and power drill combo for doing shed loads of ammo for a grand old plinking session down at Bisley.

Both have their places.

I don't see your logic. I have an RCBS trimmer, a Forrester trimmer, and the Lee. They all work equally well. I need a heavy trimmer for case reforming so I own the RCBS. The Forrester is used for neck turning reformed cases, and Lee for every day trimming. Once the cases are formed, I make a Lee trimmer stud for the caliber in question and use the Lee from there on. My cases remain consistent in length, day in and day out.~Muir

wilson case trimmer and holder make the most accurate out their ,reloading solutions sell them

The Wilson is the only one I've ever bought, so cant comment on the others, but the Wilson is a superb piece of kit, made even better with the micrometer attachment. Plus the fact that you can do other elements of case prep if required. Inside neck reaming, inside neck chamfer and can even be powered with the addition of a drill.
The downside in my opinion is the fact that you need calibre specific case holders.

Steve

I don't see your logic. I have an RCBS trimmer, a Forrester trimmer, and the Lee. They all work equally well. I need a heavy trimmer for case reforming so I own the RCBS. The Forrester is used for neck turning reformed cases, and Lee for every day trimming. Once the cases are formed, I make a Lee trimmer stud for the caliber in question and use the Lee from there on. My cases remain consistent in length, day in and day out.~Muir

PM sent mate

I need to modify my previous statement a bit.
Any trimmer that uses a shell holder to hold the cartridge likely to be less accurate than ones like the Lee or Forrester that use a solid datum point. The Forrester uses a stepped collet to hold the cartridge and the Lee cutter sets the datum from a steel stud to which the cartridge is held. With these systems, a variance in rim thickness will have no effect on trimmed length. That's my take on it, at least.~Muir

Back