Wicklow wild goats.

stag1933

Wild white goats of Co.Wicklow, Eire.
HWH.

DSC_0060.jpg

Not from that small herd as we had no shooting permission there but over the years I arrested a few at other places including a monster on the mountains of The Burrens, overlooking Galway Bay.

HWH.

where about's are the wicklow ones they look a bit well kept to be honest , there was a woman from near me moved up there she had about 200 that used to wander at will , what i have found with goats in ireland is no-one wants them till you shoot one then they suddenly become valuable and belong to the person shouting at you :mad:

landkeeper.
The obvious answer to that is to have permission from the landowner or holder of the sporting rights before you venture onto someones property.
Those particular goats were photographed from the side of a busy road with a long tele-photo lense.
They were on a steep mountainside covered in scrub, an ideal habitat for them with no farm stock to share the food.
Picture taken within 15/20 miles of Bray.
I was first over in Ireland as a shooting member of the England International DTL clay pigeon team in 1971 and have shot various deer and goats there most years since then having been introduced to a stalking member of the Irish International team.
Some of them have been over here most years to shoot my Roe and/or Reds.

HWH.

Last edited:
landkeeper.
The obvious answer to that is to have permission from the landowner or holder of the sporting rights before you venture onto someones property.

HWH.

of course that goes without saying, but goats being goats, they don't always abide by the same rules. They have no respect for boundaries and they go where they like , with all the fragmented landholdings in ireland it's very simple to come unstuck ,there has been uproar here in the last year or so over goat round ups and culling it's a very emotive subject
, anyway there are moves at foot to try to protect the goats on the burren and other such places , they are genotyping them to try to work out what is what as there are strains of 'old irish goat' there that have been in existence for 5000 years since they were brought there by neolithic farmers

Last edited:
Back