Best Brass for .270

bartzkingx

Hi,

I was given a lot of brass from my experienced 'mentor' but it is starting to get a bit old and I am looking at getting some new brass.

He gave me Norma brass but I don't think I can afford this, so would anyone else recommend any other cheaper makes that they have found to be good?

Thanks,

Tom

If you are hunting, I doubt you'd notice any variation between brands. The only golden rule is to use a single brand at a time and retest your load if you change from one make of brass to another (as internal volumes vary slightly, affecting pressure).

I use .270 Sako or Norma brass when I can get it cheaply, otherwise I use Winchester brass because I can buy prepped' once-fired brass fairly cheaply at Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove (£25 per 100). I haven't found a lot of internal variation between US brands, .e.g. Federal, Winchester, Remington etc but there's a marked difference between US and European brands. I tend to bin my .270 brass after about 5 firings anyway - if I was using super-expensive custom brass or if it was a specially formed case, I'd try and keep it longer but it's readily available, so I don't bother.

I have used the super cheap PPU brass but I find the necks harden after a couple of firings and need annealing, which is a pain.

Adam.

Without a doubt Norma is the best brass you can get in 270 its nice and soft and does not work harden like federal I have some Norma brass I have reloaded 30 odd times and without any signs of fatigue yet i have re worked federal brass and its failed after 6 or severn times on re loading.

I am told Lapua is also good but very expensive.

Finnbear,
Do you find Nosler Custom so much better, and I did go looking for Lapua but was told they dod not make brass in .270,

There is no doubt Norma is the best 270 brass. However, with the price of it, you would be as well to buy a 100 rounds of Norma factory ammo, shoot it, and then start reloading the brass when it is done.

Another vote for Nosler brass. Not tried norma in .270 brass so cant comment but both of these are top quality brass.

Thanks for all your comments, I'll take all your comments on board and make my decision based on advice and price at the time. Cheers

Back