BMH... early training

N.F.W.M

I picked up my 8 week old BMH bitch earlier this week. Apart from the expected night time, in transit and when left alone vocalisation (read howling like a crazed wolf) things are going well.

In these early days am I right to be progressing with very basic obedience training as I did with my lab? Recall, sitting etc ? and obviously house training.

Any suggestions/guidance welcome

Regards

Sticks

yes, obedience training should be ongoing on a day-to-day basis, and also blood or scent with food association at this stage.

Tony

BLOOD CF Brave man :oops: Yes start the bonding straight away recall stay but dont be to hard on the puppy it is still a baby make every thing fun.

Last edited:
yes, obedience training should be ongoing on a day-to-day basis, and also blood or scent with food association at this stage.

Tony

100% agree.

Lay a 20-50 yard trail with a bit of lung to the foodbowl(not upwind!).

If that has been mastered and that should not take long, cover the foodbowl with a skin. If the hound then start barking you can congratulate yourself.

Let us know when the hound has mastered this.

I picked up my 8 week old BMH bitch earlier this week. Apart from the expected night time, in transit and when left alone vocalisation (read howling like a crazed wolf) things are going well.

In these early days am I right to be progressing with very basic obedience training as I did with my lab? Recall, sitting etc ? and obviously house training.

Any suggestions/guidance welcome

Regards

Sticks

Congratulations on your new puppy. Now you need to put a strong bond in place with your dog. Handle her a lot cuddle her, even rock her to sleep, teach her the basics from the get go, sit, stay. Wait until she has a few weeks under her belt. Give her some deer legs to chew on get her used to the general scent of deer. Then you can start on the more serious training of blood spooring.

I have no doubt there will be a comment or two from our resident BMH experts :rolleyes: and although I do not class my self as an expert on training Bav's I can only speak from my experience of keeping them and WORKING them, which they do just about right through the whole year, on nearly all the species in the UK.

Good luck and enjoy.

Congrats on the new pup edd. One thing I found useful was sitting in the kids climbing frame in the garden getting my pup used to me being above her. I rewarded her with praise and the odd treat when she she just sat under it calmly. I progressed it to a portable high seat in the garden later on and took a paper to read with me. If you try it its better that there are no distractions like kids playing in the garden at the same time. I found that bit quite difficult as seeing a parent sitting on the play frame is hard to resist.
It all paid off though as she took to waiting quietly under a seat un-tethered very well.
Good luck.

Congrats on the new pup edd. One thing I found useful was sitting in the kids climbing frame in the garden getting my pup used to me being above her. I rewarded her with praise and the odd treat when she she just sat under it calmly. I progressed it to a portable high seat in the garden later on and took a paper to read with me. If you try it its better that there are no distractions like kids playing in the garden at the same time. I found that bit quite difficult as seeing a parent sitting on the play frame is hard to resist.
It all paid off though as she took to waiting quietly under a seat un-tethered very well.
Good luck.

That's very good advice!

100% agree.

Lay a 20-50 yard trail with a bit of lung to the foodbowl(not upwind!).

If that has been mastered and that should not take long, cover the foodbowl with a skin. If the hound then start barking you can congratulate yourself.

Let us know when the hound has mastered this.

lung ?? would this not leave a blood trail ? thought the policy was not to use blood !! sorry baron couldnt resist that one mate
all the best
jimmy

No Jimmy you need to wash the lung first :rofl: Only jokeing i always liked to drag a bit of ofal around the pups would love it.

This is the one exception that confirms the rule!
i was only pulling ya leg mate, i do believe in giving a pup/child every chance to learn without realizing there are actually learning as its the sign of a good teacher
see you next week
jimmy

i was only pulling ya leg mate, i do believe in giving a pup/child every chance to learn without realizing there are actually learning as its the sign of a good teacher
see you next week
jimmy
Ahh but Jimmy you still need to teach the dog,not do nothing with it!!!:stir::evil:;)

Ahh but Jimmy you still need to teach the dog,not do nothing with it!!!:stir::evil:;)

haha fair point pal, was out last night but blanked still had a good training walk though stalked free to heel then sat while i waited in ambush for two hours without whining or moving while rabbits fan about in front of her as close as 20 feet away "she did resemble a jack hammer watching them though !!! haha" so although im a little slow with the trailing side pal other aspects of her learning curve are doing ok
good to hear from ya pal
jimmy

Scenthound pups should be sucking deer/boar blood off their mothers teets in the litter,therefore blood is started with early on,get them onto it early then that'll not be forgotten,then as Baron states start with lung drags but then go onto skin(no blood),then cleaves(no blood) then add blood later again when the dog will have been trained to indicate it,no?Makes perfect sense,then when a track comes round where there is no blood you and your dog will not head scratch and struggle.
The dog will manage to follow the track.
You can mock a shot site with blood no problem and wound couches as well,so blood is used on a test(with BGS,not with HS),not a lot but this blood must be indicated,easier for a dog to indicate if its not hoovering it up along the track all the time.

haha fair point pal, was out last night but blanked still had a good training walk though stalked free to heel then sat while i waited in ambush for two hours without whining or moving while rabbits fan about in front of her as close as 20 feet away "she did resemble a jack hammer watching them though !!! haha" so although im a little slow with the trailing side pal other aspects of her learning curve are doing ok
good to hear from ya pal
jimmy
Couldna resist bud;)She'll come on fine

Back