Nice head But?

activeviii

Was out with a friend last week in all that rain. The amount of roe that came out to feed was unreal.

He shot this one, it was the smallest in a group, the others he is leaving. But he asked if i would clean it out for him.

this is it, just drying before i take it over to him to see how he wants it mounted and it got me thinking. Before it gets cut or anything. is it worth a measure?
Not the best photos in the world so hope it gives some idea.

Its 250mm and thee is a good weight in it but i know nothing of these things so thought i would ask the collective.

I have no photos of the before as he skinned if off before i cleaned it.

Whats your thoughts gents, worth it or just mount nd enjoy.

All the best

Phil.

606g

Was bleached over night and then washed off 4 hours ago then left out to dry. the one on the far left is 423g.

606g

Was bleached over night and then washed off 4 hours ago then left out to dry. the one on the far left is 423g.

Depends on how much it loses in drying, 10%? But that's a guess....

rough dry weights for bronze, silver and gold heads are; 455, 510 and 540g respectively. Although lots of other factors come into play so it's a very rough guide

thanks for that.

so the question will be how much will it lose on drying out.. it might sneak in a bronze. that will do for me but its not mine so my friend will have to decide if he wants to get it measured next year.

Just found a little info on the cictrophy site.
Bronze Medal 365grms
Silver Medal 420grms
Gold medal 500grms

thanks for that.

so the question will be how much will it lose on drying out.. it might sneak in a bronze. that will do for me but its not mine so my friend will have to decide if he wants to get it measured next year.

Just found a little info on the cictrophy site.
Bronze Medal 365grms
Silver Medal 420grms
Gold medal 500grms

yes the weights you quote are the dry skull with a further 90g they deduct (which approximates the difference in weight between a cut and uncut trophy skull)

Most of the heads I have done lost up to 60 grams but some have only lost 30 grams when drying out so they can all be different and change from day to day for the first wee while.

After a couple of weeks you will have a better idea as they seem to settle by then (I put them in the conservatory) but on the face of it with the current weight I would say there is a good chance.

I would say that at that weight and from the pics its defenatley a medal class head. Well worth getting measured in my opinion.

Reckon it will dry out to about 530, which will definitely make a medal, i'll guess a good bronze, i go on getting anything over 450 dry weight measured as if it doesn't score it doesn't cost anything.

Moose

Reckon it will dry out to about 530, which will definitely make a medal, i'll guess a good bronze, i go on getting anything over 450 dry weight measured as if it doesn't score it doesn't cost anything.

Moose

If it does dry out to 530gms

A rough guide is to try the Swedish `Quick Fix Formula`.

Weight in grams , multiply by 0.23 and add 20 .

For an uncut scull 90 gramms should be deducted from the weight first.

Your head by Swedish formula:

530 - 90 x 0.23 + 20 = 121.2 points

It would put it as a silver medal.

I have tried this formula a few times and been within a point or two of the official CIC measurement.

Last edited:
If it does dry out to 530gms

A rough guide is to try the Swedish `Quick Fix Formula`.

Weight in grams , multiply by 0.23 and add 20 .

For an uncut scull 90 gramms should be deducted from the weight first.

Your head by Swedish formula:

530 - 90 x 0.23 + 20 = 121.2 points

It would put it as a silver medal.

I have tried this formula a few times and been within a point or two of the official CIC measurement.

I am glad to see that this formula is being used since I posted it here quite a while ago.
HWH.

Dragging the post up.

Anyone know if someone will be at British shooting show to measure heads please.

I have just been asked if I can find out to the gun can get it looked at.

What details are needed when handing over as never done this before.

Thank for help

ATB

Phil

Dragging the post up.

Anyone know if someone will be at British shooting show to measure heads please.

I have just been asked if I can find out to the gun can get it looked at.

What details are needed when handing over as never done this before.

Thank for help

ATB

Phil
Where it was shot , what date and by whom , that's about all the details they need . Good luck:D

Back