UKPC parking fines.

Scots_stalker

Hi guys. A wee story and give me your thoughts

as you know my daughter is severely disabled. And as such she has a blue badge and an adapted car,
her badge is in for renewal and when this happens you have to send in the old one ( this can take upto 6 weeks)

so susan took a photocopy and placed it in the car. Yesterday when shopping in tesco she returned to the car which was parked in a disabled space to find a female "warden" writing her a ticket for using a " forged" blue badge. Despite my child sitting in her wheelchair , adapted car etc the warden was having none of it leaving susan in tears at the side of the road. And a ticket for £80.

Ive ve been to tesco who say its nothing to do with them and gave me a number , but when you call it it's an automated service for you to pay the fine

I've been to the police who say there's nothing they can do , and it's probably better just to pay it £80!!!!!

Nobody can can seem to give me a definitive on this. Lots of hearsay about just ignoring the demands

brian.

you have tried to deal with this (I hope you have records of letters , emails,calls) you have been to the police (I hope you have a record)

you have done everything in your power it would seem and nobody seems to want to deal with this? I would in your position write to the relevant authority explaining why your not going to pay the fine and then sit back and wait for them to deal with it ? while I was at it I would complain about the wardens attitude ?

it's clear you have a very good case , it's not like your daughter stops being disabled for the renewal FFS!

my partner has a blue badge and it's a godsend for people of limited mobility.

oh and the press would love this !

Go to the local press they just love stories like this.Maximum adverse publicity.

Ditto .....TESCO will **** their pants with this kind on negative publicity.....AND the parking control firm will also **** their pants at the thought of TESCO not renewing their contract.

ATB

CVK

There must be some sort of appeal process. Get onto that and let them know you are for real, not one of those lazy dodgers.
Also phrase it that you and your daughter are most upset etc and hint, just hint, that you will go public big time.
Good luck with it.

Brian,

This is from first hand experience - UKPC can't enforce it, it is illegal up here in scotland. I have had 3 at the antonine centre up in cumbernauld. I never paid any and after a few letter of a lower fine which i didnt reply to they passed it on to a debt collection agency and again on lawyers advice i just ignored it,after a few letter they went away and i havent herd anything since. They cant enforce it as they cant prove whom was driving the car for all they know it couldve joe bloggs in your car and they are not the police so you are under no obligation to give them any info.

Mines differed slightly as i was in a normal bay for more than the allowed 4 hours, not in a disabled bay but the same principles apply. Best thing is to just ignore them and they will go away - just my eperience and also a few work colleagues done the same. I also think if you did take it further you would have a much better case against them than mine which was just bad time keeping. Anyway i hope your daughter and wife are ok after the experience i cant stand the jumped up little traffic wardens!!!!!

PS just for the record i had a black mark on my credit rating due to not paying this quick call to equifax sorted it out tho:)

its not hearsay - just ignore them.
That is if the "warden" is only a UKPC and not a proper warden.
Just google it - plenty of evidence out there.

I've tried to get in contact with UKPC but I can't actually speak to anybody. All the numbers I have called end up at the same place. Ie how to pay the fine.

do what I do with any organisation that you can't speak to , just ignore it and let them come to you , eventually they have to if they want your money even if it means a court visit ! and if you can show you tried to deal with it the court will look favourable on your position .

I've tried to get in contact with UKPC but I can't actually speak to anybody. All the numbers I have called end up at the same place. Ie how to pay the fine.

Dont even call them brian they dont know who was driving the car so they dont know who to prosecute - they cant procecute the car!! we work with lawyers and they have looked into this in depth ukpc havent got a leg to stand on so dont give it a second thought they will just go away after a couple of letters - Unless of course you want to take the matter further due to there attitude which is very understandable in your case - in which case i still wouldnt call them i would go straight to the papers

Be careful, and do as you think best, but I'm another who can say first hand, ignore them. Mine didn't even go to the reminder stage, I ignored the ticket and never heard anything more about it.
Alternatively, if it's a Tesco car park, write to Tesco at head office level and explain everything, then tell them you found the store manager/whoever you dealt with most unhelpful to their customer's plight. They will probably kick the store team's backside for not resolving the issue. My father did this in a similar situation and the store (not Tesco) sent him a cheque to cover the penalty and ab apology at their previous "misunderstanding of the circumstances".

As above really. Just ignore them, but if/when the strongly worded letters come in, go to the press.

Get their head office address. Write them a "cease and desist" letter and state that if they contact you again, you will charge them a certain amount per letter, a certain amount per phone call etc. If they do contact you, be sure to send them an invoice. They have no power to enforce anything. They set themselves out, in uniform, as if they are actual traffic wardens. They rely on contract law to issue their "tickets" which in fact are nothing but invoices. They put signs up stating that you are contracting with them if you overstay, but in order for them to enforce that contract they need to identify the driver. Unlike actual offences such as speeding or jumping a red light, there is no compulsion to reveal who was driving, and neither is there any regression to the named keeper of the vehicle if the identity of the driver cannot be found. Therefore, they cannot claim payment from anyone unless you admit who the driver is.

Look up "parking prankster" on facebook, or have a look at his blog, you'll see that they don't have a leg to stand on. In fact, in your circumstances it might be worth contacting him, he might be able to help out directly, or at least advise.

Parking Prankster

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

They are not a statutory body. Only local authorities, government bodies etc can win in court if you don't pay. I've tested this one and 5 years later it's all is good

In addition to all the advice above-if you do contact Tesco HQ, mention starting a facebook campaign with regard to this incident that allows other people to share similar experiences with the company.

Its a little know fact that that some very big retailers are very wary of the words negative and facebook going together in relation to their brand.

Private parking fines in the uk are in enforceable! The only people who can actually enforce PCN's are the council and police. Chuck in the bin and forget about it! That's what I do and I've had about 6 never had any comeback from it! I work in the security industry and I know a guy who does the admin for a large complex which issue these tickets for non staff that use their packing and I've seen him in the office sorting the mail and he calls those that send their cheques in mugs and rightly so. Lol

I've been in touch with the sun ( never called me back). The daily record ( too busy ). Airdrie advertiser ( already done a story so no thanks ). Citizens advice and police scotland keep saying they CAN enforce this but rarely do ,
my local MP said to await the letter arriving and to write back saying I wasn't the driver. And if anymore letters arrive to pass them to her.

All in all a very frustrating day

I've been in touch with the sun ( never called me back). The daily record ( too busy ). Airdrie advertiser ( already done a story so no thanks ). Citizens advice and police scotland keep saying they CAN enforce this but rarely do ,
my local MP said to await the letter arriving and to write back saying I wasn't the driver. And if anymore letters arrive to pass them to her.

All in all a very frustrating day

They don't have to know the press weren't interested. The threat alone might be enough to get somebody's attention.

The lawyers we spoke to at work told us not to reply to the letter at all not even to say it wasn't you. Just spoke to the lawyer this after noon and he said that ukpc have issued 65 tickets to people in my work, no one replied to any letters and no one was pursued any further. I wouldn't worry about it Brian it won't go any further unless you personally want to pursue then for the stress caused to you and your family.

Back