Dogs Water Bowl

Grouse Keeper

If any of you, like me, have dogs that always spill/empty their water bowls by standing on them or carry them about like a toy, I use gas bottles, you know the Calor or Macgas ones. Cut the top off around the weld, get rid off the rough edge and give a quick coat of Hammerite, last a life time they will. They're a God send in this hot weather, you can go to work all day and not worry that that bloody stupid GWP has spilled its water 5 minutes you filled it!.........................but use the smaller ones, not the 4ft tall ones....................unless you breed Giraffes.

if any of you, like me, have dogs that always spill/empty their water bowls by standing on them or carry them about like a toy, i use gas bottles, you know the calor or macgas ones. Cut the top off around the weld, get rid off the rough edge and give a quick coat of hammerite, last a life time they will. They're a god send in this hot weather, you can go to work all day and not worry that that bloody stupid gwp has spilled its water 5 minutes you filled it!.........................but use the smaller ones, not the 4ft tall ones....................unless you breed giraffes.
and make sure its empty with valve taken off!! Place petrol soaked rag,wrung out! In hole,light,and run like fook!! Before cutting!!!:D

I had a similar problem with my GWP when he was a pup, no sooner had I put a bowl of clean water in his run than he had hoofed it over or thrown the bowl around. I came home from work one day to find that he had actually chewed the edge of his stainless steel bowl like a pie crust, and that there were even puncture marks where he had bitten through the steel. The bloody things don't half have a bite on them, no wonder they can deal with injured deer. The poor old Labrador who shared a pen with him just sat and looked as if to say "Why do I have to share a pen with this nutter?"

My solution was to make a wooden open topped box slightly larger than a biscuit tin and cast a stainless steel bowl dog bowl into concrete. The bowl was later removed just before the concrete dried. The result is that the bowl sits flush with the top of the concrete and cannot be removed by the dog. The weight of the concrete prevents the dog from pushing the bowl around his pen, it would also be possible to raise the height of the bowl slightly if you wished. Problem solved!

So what does he do next when I put it in the run, walks over and cocks his leg on the bowl! The poor old lab just looked at him and shook his head in disbelief - bloody awkward Germans!!!

Please note that gas bottles are the property of the gas co. not the individual. They find it, they do prosecute. ( a hotel owner who used one with concrete that held up his sign on the pavement ) Nice idea though. Like the concrete mold better. We used a ceramic basin.
Jim

13 years later and I would still be hosing down the GWP every day. Bloody Blockhead- the most stubborn of dogs, but darned good at what they were made for.
You just have to be more stubborn than them and eventually they will come around to your way of thinking. It's a dog made for working and not a lap dog.
Unless you are going to work him every day, don't get a GWP, just too much dog.

Yes I seriously thought of using an electric collar when he was a pup, and at times I would have wired it up to the mains. But when you see one working in their element you really couldn't want for better.
I am looking down at the old beggar lying down at my feet, he's pretty bald now, and you couldn't want for a more loveable faithful dog. But I still think back to the fun I had with him as a pup and think "never again". His kennel name is Lenny the Lion, and that just about summed him up as a pup.

Has anyone thought of using cattle drinkers the auto feed type, conected to mains water and either a pad thats pressed or float i.e ballcock type ive seen one local to me in a labs run seems to work fine.

When our youngest was a pup and confined to a puppy cage we had much the same problem. I solved it by placing a boulder in the metal drink bowl. SIMPLES, she never nocked it over from that day.

A ball cock. I can just see my lot with a ball floating on top:D How would a bigger version of a pheasant drinker work. Same principal.
Jim

Has anyone thought of using cattle drinkers the auto feed type, conected to mains water and either a pad thats pressed or float i.e ballcock type ive seen one local to me in a labs run seems to work fine.

i have drinkers in 5 pens, but struggled to get a method of pluming them in to prevent the dogs from destroying the pipes. I find that they are still a good job without being plumbed in as the dog cant spill them and they are tough enough to deter chewing. the only downside is that they cant be removed for cleaning but a quick power wash when cleaning the pens fixes that.

keith

If any of you, like me, have dogs that always spill/empty their water bowls by standing on them or carry them about like a toy, I use gas bottles, you know the Calor or Macgas ones. Cut the top off around the weld, get rid off the rough edge and give a quick coat of Hammerite, last a life time they will. They're a God send in this hot weather, you can go to work all day and not worry that that bloody stupid GWP has spilled its water 5 minutes you filled it!.........................but use the smaller ones, not the 4ft tall ones....................unless you breed Giraffes.
Good idea that, the water bowl was an issue I thought about whilst planning my new kennels, I used to use pales but the lab cocked his leg on them and the terriers chewed them, the water went off quick whilst out in the sunlight too. I came up with a solution, automatic drinkers INSIDE the kennels. I ran the pipes through the insulated walls so they dont freeze and place the drinkers high enough that they wouldnt cock their legs into them but they could still be used.

23072008125.jpg

DSC03904.jpg

DSC03905.jpg

A you can see, there isnt much room for the lab to turn and lift his leg into it and they stay nice and fresh as they refill themselves. If they get a bit of dog food in them then a quick blast with the hose when im washing down the kennels sorts it.

Nipple drinkers - AKA pig drinkers

its the way of the future, doesn't take long for the dog to get used to them either - dont spill, cant **** in them or tip them over

available from most farm suppliers, theres a few types, bite drinkers and nipple drinkers, the latter being better for dogs.

Dan,

That's a great setup. I'd be interested to see the whole kennel, runs, etc

I think i'll send my 4 to yours for their holiday ;)

What as a swimming pool ? Only an elephant would want a drinking bowl that big:lol:

Back