A question for all the Pro Stalkers/Guides

eggy s

Hi guys

This came up in another thread but I thought it was worthy of its own thread.

I am pretty new to guiding guests, and I love it.

In another thread it was mentioned that 2 people had had close calls with guests nearly shooting them both times due to a ND.

When I am guiding I lead the party and I carry the gun. This way there is no way the person behind me can shoot me by accident. They get the rifle to take the shot, once the shot has been taken I take the rifle back off them.

Another member of this forum said they have never had anyone carry their gun on a paid hunt.

So simply my question to you guys is how to do you guide.

Do you let the client take the lead?
Do you let them carry the gun?
Do you take the lead and carry the gun?

Interested to hear your responses.

Take the lead and carry the rifle usually, some guests will insist on carrying their own rifle if so I will always check the chamber is empty. You will get the odd funny look but it doesn't bother me. During the final few yards when a round has been chambered I will be in the lead with the rifle, not negotiable. I know a guy with two holes were there should only be one, and it aint happening to me!!

Why would you let the guest take the lead ?
You would, of course carry the gun.
When you get to the stalk, depending on the ground, you put a round in the chamber, you still carry the rifle, only when your sure you have a safe shot do you give the rifle to the guest.
That's the way I've been doing it. I take the rife from the guest as early as possible and get it back as early as possible to protect him and me, possibly everyone else as well.

Ok thank you for confirming I am not mad.

K333Roe I would never let the guest take the lead. Same way I would never let one walk behind me with the rifle.

But the way this came up in another thread got me interested in what other people do which is why I asked the question.

I lead the way and they follow carring their rifle. Done it this way for years. Only time i will take the rifle is when we are crawlling in on our bellies.During the trip i am watching like a hawk and if i see anything i don't like they get told in no uncertain terms.
Al

Sorry I should specify I am talking about Lowland/Woodland Stalking. I know you hill folk do things differently :D

Sorry I should specify I am talking about Lowland/Woodland Stalking. I know you hill folk do things differently :D

That's a difficult one because if stalking in woodland for sika, and you carry the rifle empty, there will be very few deer shot if it has to be loaded and handed back to the guest.

If a crawl is needed, I have always asked the rifle to be emptied and shown as such to me before moving an inch.

I lead and let them carry their own rifle i also take my rifle in case a quick second shots required ! A lot depends on how experienced the client is

Jam prior to the crawl are they carrying a loaded gun behind you ?

375 same question to Jam?

Or do you guys only load up once the beasty is spotted?

Al Sorry

I mostly do lowland - woodland stalking outings, their gun would be loaded with safety on and pointing away from me i always keep an eye on them if it was their first outing it would be unloaded until a safe shot presented itself, if i was out on the hill the rifle would be unloaded at all times untill again a safe shot was available the reason for allowing the client to carry a loaded rifle in woodland situations is due to not having as much time to get ready for a shot and the terrain is a lot flatter

well in answer to your questions when i take clients out thay carry the rifle with a round in the chamber and i lead but in the pre stalk talk i very kindley remind the person that if thay shoot me i will be very annoyed and the trophy fee will be very expensive.

On the hill I carry the rifle in slip until final approach, if the client insists on carrying his own rifle as some do,fine but its in a slip empty. Roe stalking client takes his own rifle with bullets in the mag but with an empty chamber.

I have had one close encounter I am not going to risk another.

Hi guys

Do you let the client take the lead?
Do you let them carry the gun?
Do you take the lead and carry the gun?

Interested to hear your responses.

only if a dsc2 stalk do they lead.
Unless a novice they always carry the gun.
I take the lead and have a client with the loaded gun behind me. If we crawl I still lead but take the rifle.
Not yet had an A.D. in over 7 years and 100's of clients, not saying it won't happen, but thats the way I do it.

Jam prior to the crawl are they carrying a loaded gun behind you ?

375 same question to Jam?

Or do you guys only load up once the beasty is spotted?

Al Sorry

I have allowed them to walk behind me in the wood with a loaded rifle. I must clarify a couple of points though. Firstly, on speaking with them and looking at their general handling of the rifle, listening to their chat and trying to suss out their experience I have then watched or asked how they carry the rifle, and how it rests on their shoulder i.e. which way the barrel points before I made the decision to allow them to carry the rifle loaded when actually stalking and looking for a beast to shoot. Almost everyone I have had out this year have firstly asked how I wanted them to carry it.

Don't get me wrong, if at any point I saw them doing something I was concerned about, bugger all consideration would be given to the chance of a shot and the rifle would be in my hands.

So often in woodland as you know with sika, the opportunity is often a very quick one.

Last edited:
As a recreational stalker I've experienced stalking with 6 different pro stalkers. 5 woodland stalking, 1 hill.
3 (all woodland) walked in front with me holding the rifle behind loaded, safety on. 2 (woodland) walked behind with me holding the rifle loaded, safety on. The hill stalk I walked behind, chamber empty, until the final crawl at which point I loaded up and crawled alongside the stalker.

I feel most comfortable taking the lead with the stalker behind with attention to muzzle awareness paramount.

Roe stalking in hampshire, they carry the r93 loaded but not cocked, it can't become unsafe. Normally foreign clients who have r93's at home. Total novices get led to highseat then load up when in position. If they dink the scope I detach the saddlemount and club them with it.

Why would you let the guest take the lead ?
You would, of course carry the gun.
When you get to the stalk, depending on the ground, you put a round in the chamber, you still carry the rifle, only when your sure you have a safe shot do you give the rifle to the guest.
That's the way I've been doing it. I take the rife from the guest as early as possible and get it back as early as possible to protect him and me, possibly everyone else as well.

Is this process one you follow for total beginners or all clients. I must say I would be rather insulted if I turned up to stalk, had my rifle taken off of me and handed it to shoot something and then hand it back again. In such circumstances I cant see the point in owning one at all.

Is this process one you follow for total beginners or all clients. I must say I would be rather insulted if I turned up to stalk, had my rifle taken off of me and handed it to shoot something and then hand it back again. In such circumstances I cant see the point in owning one at all.
+1
I know most of my clients would be shocked by this.
It will also contravene an fac as you have to have thier gun on your ticket, your estate rifle is a different matter.

+1
I know most of my clients would be shocked by this.
It will also contravene an fac as you have to have thier gun on your ticket, your estate rifle is a different matter.

Provided if always in their presence, as far as legalities are concerned, you could argue you are technically being allowed to handle/use under their supervision surely...?

Back