Budget Binos

welshwarrior

I've been asked to help a young lad get started stalking.

Got him a basic 308 with pecar scope so rifle is sorted.

He's asked now for advice on a pair of binos what do you guys recomend, ideally cheap as chips but outstanding optics! Mission impossible but what do you recon.

I've got a set of Minox for sale. Very good light gathering. I have another set of minox as my main set so others can go to a new home.

get good old Carl Zeiss Jena(jenoptem) 10x50

I second that although I prefer 7x or 8x. 10x is a bit hard to hold steady. But an old pair of Zeiss will be better and longer lasting than a cheap pair of no name binos. You can pick up Hensoldt 8x32s on ebay for about £100 or less if you are patient. They will withstand the harshest treatment and have good optics.

Depends on your idea of budget,

However I recently purchased a set of minox BV 8x42 for £120 from sportsman, and for the money they are superb. I very much doubt I will ever have the justification for a more expensive set... except for the fact that im a gear tart...

If you go down that line make sure you get the BV range not the BF as they are the same glass just different coatings and the BV come with their 30 year comfort warranty and the BF get 5....

regards

KS

I asked the same question a week ago and the resounding answer was minox bv. So I bought a pair of minox bv 8x42s from amazon for £150. They are £137 at the sportsman gun centre although they were out of stock when I rang. SGC also sell the older minox BF's for £120 although the newer bv's have newer coating and a 30year warranty instead of 5years on the BF's.

Anyway they arrived today so I took them out bunny shooting this evening. The clarity and sharpness of picture is outstanding considering the price and the low light gathering ability is impressive - it certainly out performsthey hawke scope on my HMR. I have not used many top range binos but the picture quality looked similar to me. My minox's do lose some quality around the edges but I can live with this and can't justify spending £2000 on some new binos to rectify this and give me an extra couple of minutes at sunset.

I am sure you would regret spending £150 on some Minox BVs.

Gary

Thanks guys he got a set of ex military ziess off evil bay good clear glass but quite heavy oh well at 18 it'll strengthen his back until he can afford/justify something else.

I asked the same question a week ago and the resounding answer was minox bv. So I bought a pair of minox bv 8x42s from amazon for £150. They are £137 at the sportsman gun centre although they were out of stock when I rang. SGC also sell the older minox BF's for £120 although the newer bv's have newer coating and a 30year warranty instead of 5years on the BF's.

Anyway they arrived today so I took them out bunny shooting this evening. The clarity and sharpness of picture is outstanding considering the price and the low light gathering ability is impressive - it certainly out performsthey hawke scope on my HMR. I have not used many top range binos but the picture quality looked similar to me. My minox's do lose some quality around the edges but I can live with this and can't justify spending £2000 on some new binos to rectify this and give me an extra couple of minutes at sunset.

I am sure you would regret spending £150 on some Minox BVs.

Gary
I just got a pair of these from the Sportsman and they are brilliant.

Back