Which Swarovski binocular

pinkfoot1

I am in the market for new binocular and initially thought I would go for the Swarovski EL 8 x 42 WB as this matches, in terms of mag and objective lens of my present bins. However, whilst I am not normally indecisive, I find myself in the position where I am not so sure, having seen both the EL 10 x 42 WB and EL 10 x 50 WB at good prices.

I realise that I can go into the shop and look through them but this is not the same as having them for a week or two and using them in both the wood and on the hill. It is only then that second thoughts may creep in by which time it is too late!

Do any members have real, practical experience of these 3 optics? I know it would be rare to find someone with all 3, but individual comment would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer the 8x42 as most of my stalking is done on the low ground or in the forest, if I was stalking on the hill I'd have the 10x42

the binoculars shake the same whether 10 or 8 for a steady rest ... as above use a stick, elbow or tree. If the binos are shaking so will the rifle so no shot anyway

The shake is less of a problem than incorrectly/unable to identify what your looking at.

If the majority of your use was below 100m then 8* may be of more use

Confused by your post.

the binoculars shake the same whether 10 or 8

Wouldn't you agree that the greater the magnification, the more noticeable the shake? I get noticeable shake at 10x, particularly single handed, but find it acceptable with 8x.

If the binos are shaking so will the rifle so no shot anyway
I'm perplexed as to why you think that the rifle will shake, just because the binos do

I prefer the 8x42 as most of my stalking is done on the low ground or in the forest, if I was stalking on the hill I'd have the 10x42

Exactly, I use 8x32 Swaros and may trade my 8x42 Minox sometime for 10x42 for more open work.

I had the EL 10x42's for two years and they did a fantastic job. I recently upgraded to the rangefinder 8x42's and I prefer the 8x's to the 10x's.

ATB 243 Stalker.

I used to use 10x42 slc but got a good deal on 8x32el and would never go back a 42 objective. Don't feel I'm missing out on either magnification or low light visibility,even if I was,it's more than made up by weight saving and portability.Don't discount them before taking a look through them.

I tested the 8x42 & 10x42 EL Range yesterday, 8x42's absolutely fantastic glass! My next purchase for sure!

As already said. The 8x42 in the wood, using the 10x42/10x50 out on the hill. But then again that's my own choice not your own.

M

Confused by your post.

Wouldn't you agree that the greater the magnification, the more noticeable the shake? I get noticeable shake at 10x, particularly single handed, but find it acceptable with 8x.

I'm perplexed as to why you think that the rifle will shake, just because the binos do

probably along the lines of if you can't hold binoculars still on sticks your not going to shoot anything of them are you as the rifle will shaking...............

I use 8 x 42, but wanted a 10 x 20 for my son / emergency binos. I found that i had to go back to the 8x to make out detail of deer, exactly the opposite of what i expected. I simply could not get the 10 x as steady. it was not as much a shake as slight movements that made long range detail difficult to make out, such as the antlers of a roe at 400 meters if i remember correctly. The 8 x could see the detail easily.

Not a Swarovski-specific comment, but I prefer 7x (or 8x, I suppose) when things are closer, as in a wood, partly because of the larger field of view.
On the hill, I like 10x.

If you like 10x then I'd definitely pick the 10x50 over the 10x42.
And if you stalk with a stick/sticks, hand shake is not an issue as you can always easily support the binocular.

Purchase what you feel most comfortable with after trying recommendations. Everyone's eyes are different. Hence why we choose different makes, glass and magnifications. When I selected mine. I popped down to my local nature reserve at dawn and dusk to try different bins out to find what I like and need.

I like 7x42 swaro dont seem to hardly ever need to focus as much as the higher mag bins I've owned and the deer don't seem to mind whether it's 7-8 or 10
as with another comment good to match up with your scope in low light hardly any point spotting if you can't see through the scope ...dam frustrating in fact
norma

I used to use 10x42 slc but got a good deal on 8x32el and would never go back a 42 objective. Don't feel I'm missing out on either magnification or low light visibility,even if I was,it's more than made up by weight saving and portability.Don't discount them before taking a look through them.

+1

Weight is very important for binoculars. My first Swarovski 8x56SL were to heavy to walk around with.

Woodlander makes an excellent point, I recently tried the x32 els and was gobsmacked at the view, and they are very light and easy to handle. I tried them in good light, and I'd want to try them at twilight before buying some, but don't discount them, I was very surprised.

Back