New boots

Trout

In the market for new boots but undecided meindl antarkis or black islander high leg or hanwag trapper high leg , can any of the members help me out on information about these boots ( any good) thanks

Do a search on the SD forum posts. There have been a lot of boot discussions in the last few weeks and months.

I currently (for the last two seasons) have Meindl Dovre extreme. Previously I had le Chameau mouflon plus which lasted seven seasons beating two or three times a week. Both extremely comfortable and I can recommend.

Many on on here have been singing the praises of the ex army extreme cold conditions goretex boots. Which are available for £65 new/unissued or less than £40 grade 1 issued. I will try a pair of these later on this season to wear alternately with my Meindls. The source of the army boots is military surplus.co .uk or similar. You will find it on one of the recent boot threads here.

Alan

Just sent my order and feet patterns to the US for a pair of these and with Turtleskin Snake Armour:
rgcblg__12174.1398977409.1280.1280.jpg

K

Same problem, need new boots urgently. Don't like stiff boots. Had a look at the Ridgeline Warrior boot ( new and affordable ) and the Zamberlan Sella . Zamberlan is considered as high quality and isn't cheap at all.
The Sella is considered as the Rolls Royce. Anybody using Zamberlan ?

Hope your getting them for the wife's christmas fella lol

‎Sadly not as I'm going through what is best described as my Kephart/Sears phase which is proving damn expensive!‎

Last year it was the ‎Elmer Fudd look which was much more do able via e-bay international and only saw me reign in such enthusiasm after being outbid on a 1950's pair of red & black plaid breeches‎.

The manufacturer does however make more conventional hunting boots and mighty fine they are too:

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-ou1isn/t2iwn/products/177/images/558/tlctoelacehunter__78023.1399666564.1280.1280.gif?c=2

K‎
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Last edited:
Same problem, need new boots urgently. Don't like stiff boots. Had a look at the Ridgeline Warrior boot ( new and affordable ) and the Zamberlan Sella . Zamberlan is considered as high quality and isn't cheap at all.
The Sella is considered as the Rolls Royce. Anybody using Zamberlan ?

My first pair of proper walking boots were Zamberlan. Beautiful looking, seamless moulded leather. I never did manage to break my feet in to wear them confidently. They often took the skin off my heel. I would end up having to walk backwards up hill! My partner bought a pair of Zamberlan at the same time and found them the most comfortable boots she had ever worn. Mine had a very stiff Vibram sole and hers were much softer and more flexible. This was twenty odd years ago so I am sure things will have changed.

But if you blister easily like me, I can recommend Brasher boots, Meindl Dovre extreme and le Chameau Mouflon Plus in ascending order of comfort out of the box.

I have subsequently discovered the amazing Compeed blister dressings which rescued me from sitting in the lodge while everyone else went out walking on a Swiss mountain walking holiday a few years back. Another pair of Italian boots which felt great to start with. The Compeed dressing went on to an incredibly tender, burst and angry blister, on my heel and I was able to do a ten mile mountain track walk immediately....brilliant.

Alan

Last edited:
Just sent my order and feet patterns to the US for a pair of these and with Turtleskin Snake Armour:
rgcblg__12174.1398977409.1280.1280.jpg

K

Laurence Olivier was asked at his first Shakespearean audition whether he could "turn a calf" as in look good in tights, he would of done in those!

I am sure they are great against snake bite, but they do look better suited for dry and arid deserty type country than the bog and mud of Britain. There is more grip on the upper than on the sole with that elegant raised seam. Once the mud has closed over the top the boot will never come out....

Maybe better on the stage or indoors....

Alan

Last edited:
In the market for new boots but undecided meindl antarkis or black islander high leg or hanwag trapper high leg , can any of the members help me out on information about these boots ( any good) thanks

Get a pair of meindls, good boots that will last. Forget the black islanders, they will leak.

Al

Thanks guys for your input, has anybody heared or have experience of hanwag boots, they look a cracking boot

Try and find a shop that sells the makes you're after and walk around the shop in each pair for a while, while looking at what else to buy. I done this as suggested and a certain make wasn't for me as I could feel some discomfort straight away. Certain makes are better than others and certain makes fir better than others to.
like most I don't have time for my feet to settle in they need to feel snug straight away and will become more accustomed over the weeks/months, if they hurt straight away forget it.

I cant fault the new brown military boots, made by Haix, Altberg and Lowa are best ones, can be found second hand from around £30 a a pair new they are around £140ish, gortex, breathable and waterproof.

I buy them second hand use them for a year stalking and brushing then chuck away as they are cheap as chips

Blimey did you walk in something you shouldn't have?
I have a pair of Burma's that lasted 10 years, just got another pair, i love them, certainly no problems like you have experienced.
Cheers
Richard

I believe this wonderfully demonstrates the difference in ground a rufty-tufty Deer Manager may be required to negotiate as distinct from the recreational stalker.

K
:D

Back